Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Black Friday PRESSURE

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Look, I know this is silly, but does anyone feel some sort of mild pressure/anxiety related to Black Friday?

Sort of like "the whole world is snapping up amazing bargains and saving loads of money and I'm missing out".

Yes, yes I know that saving loads of money means spending loads of money.

We'd like to get a new TV, as we only have one in the house, and it's getting to the point where we want to shunt Bozza Jnr up to his room for his console playing so we're not all fighting for the one screen. So, he'll get the old one, which is about 7-8 years old, and we'll get a new one in the lounge. But I don't know where to start, frankly, as it seems that massive big-brand 4k TVs cost almost nothing these days.

Beyond that, it's only really Christmas present shopping that we "need" but where to start with that?

So, there you go, I know it's silly but a problem shared and all that...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
alb.JPG

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade."

- Marcel Proust

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I could not give a monkey's about Black Friday. If I need a product I save up and buy it when I need it. It seems to me that Black Friday is all about buying products you don't really need at a slightly reduced price.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I try hard not to get swept up in any bollocks, or buy anything unnecessary or unplanned, but it can sometimes be a good date to deliberately delay a purchase until – if you're careful and strategic about it.

I managed to secure a Christmas present that I actually chose months ago for a 33% discount this week, saving a worthwhile amount of £.

To me that's when BF can be worthwhile, rather than just gormlessly scrolling through Amazon to spontanteously hoover up unplanned shit on mediocre or even fake deals.

Smug sermon over.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
No. But I work in marketing so have been balls deep in BFesque planning and stuff for a while now so feel somewhat innoculated against it all.

Just my Xmas pressies, and any stuff we need and that's that.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I have taken full advantage and just saved £3 on my cats arthritis tablets from amazon (via nsc link) but no pressure. I think its a bit of a hyped up marketing exercise but I'm sure there are deals to be had if your looking for something in particular

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This isn't going as planned.

Whilst I didn't expect anyone to agree with me (and I'll also highlight I've bought nothing today), I was hoping someone clued up on TVs would have pointed me in the direction of something good by now.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
According to Which? 85% of Black Friday deals are the same price or even more expensive than other times in the year.

100% this.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] You're good at the internet and very savvy with a bargain (Apple aside).

Why bother with this nonsense when a swift Google and some patience will get you what you want "Black Friday" or not.

It's like the DFS sale that is on 24/7 365. Actually it's getting even more like that with "pre Black Friday deals" and "Black Friday" running for about a week...........into "pre Christmas deals" "Boxing Day savings" and "January Sales".

It's all horseshit. :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Black Friday is just a gimmick in a consumerist society besides the January sales will start shortly in mid-December

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yet another unwanted thing imported from America.

It was bad enough avoiding the Boxing Day sales (thankfully football was an excellent excuse to avoid) but now bombarded with emails about Black Friday 'bargains'.

As with previous years I have just deleted and refrained from looking at any offers. No need to buy anything until I need it.

So NO pessure to chase a Black Friday item.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here