Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Christmas Day Cheese Board

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My personal cheeseboard would look something like this

Good mature cheddar (just below the point where it takes the skin off the roof of your mouth)
Double Gloucester (with or without onions & chives)
Brie / camembert / both
Boursin
Manchego
Might also be tempted by a spot of Red Leicester
Onion marmalade (M&S)
Cornish wafers / warm crusty bread
Celery
Grapes
Good butter

When I say camembert I obviously mean normal camembert, not breaded camembert as Sainsburys have put on their recommended cheeseboard items

Very difficult to top this selection, perhaps you should change your username to CHEESEMAN? :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We get ours from a cheese stall in the local market (which also sells the comte), but I'd imagine some more, er, upmarket supermarkets sell it (Waitrose?).

Or any cheese shops near you?

I'll have a sniff around . . . . or another weekend in Bath!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Port is one of those drinks that I want to "love" like others do, particularly in this Cheese Board scenario, but I just struggle to enjoy it. Even good stuff.. I used to have the same with Single Malts, but practised, hard, and with the addition of a splash of water on the recommendation of a Scotsman, finally got there! But Port.... so will be a red wine for me, unless any good tips on the cheese/port combo..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Port is one of those drinks that I want to "love" like others do, particularly in this Cheese Board scenario, but I just struggle to enjoy it. Even good stuff.. I used to have the same with Single Malts, but practised, hard, and with the addition of a splash of water on the recommendation of a Scotsman, finally got there! But Port.... so will be a red wine for me, unless any good tips on the cheese/port combo..

Have you experimented with different varieties of port? If you like red wine, there's bound to be one you like.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Very difficult to top this selection, perhaps you should change your username to CHEESEMAN? :lolol:

I owe my honed sporting physique to many years of cheese research

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Try a decent Malbec...

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I'd recommend Tunworth, a Camembert from Hampshire, I think you can get it in Waitrose but it really is worth tracking down. Raymond Blanc called it the best Camembert in the world.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Have you experimented with different varieties of port? If you like red wine, there's bound to be one you like.

This

we did a few bottles of Port a few years ago, playing scalextrix into the small hours . . . . .our driving standards were pretty poos by 2am

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Brighton Blue sounds nice. Anyone know a shop on Brighton where I can buy some?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Manchego
Emmental
Dolcelatte or Gorgonzola
A very ripe Brie or Camembert
Vintage Cheddar

Figs and Grapes
Mixed crackers

I'm a man of simple tastes :drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports