Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer Window verdict - Changed your mind ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Lallana - stunning
Welbeck - a quicker Glenn / no 9 ?
Veltman - classy

with White - solid
and Lamptey - most thrilling player for years now part of the squad...

9 games in though. and who knows if they stay fit and we're 16th but nonetheless

and Price for that little lot - about 50p.

Its looking quite a bit better than that 1000 pages of thread doomscrolling implied back in August.

yes ?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
White was already our player.
Lamptey was signed in the previous window.

IF Lallana and Welbeck stay fit then they will be excellent for us.

It was not a good window, but a lot of that was because of our financial situation following Covid. It was the best we could have done in the circumstances.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Lallana - stunning
Veltman - classy

with White - solid

9 games in though. and who knows if they stay fit and we're 16th but nonetheless

Its looking quite a bit better than that 1000 pages of thread doomscrolling implied back in August.

yes ?

Not forgetting the two Polish lads, who will join, in one case possibly as early as January.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I haven't changed my mind, no. That said, this is an inaccurate opening post. It's already been pointed out that the mentioned White and Lamptey were already with us, but it's also worth flagging up that Welbeck was signed outside the window.
On top of this, there are all sorts of younger signings -- Zeqiri, Moder, Karbownik, Enema Ella, among others -- that I'm excited to see over the next few years, hoping that our academy and scouting continues to flourish.
Back to the question: Lallana and Veltman were great additions to the squad, bringing class and experience. With the closure of the window in early October, it was obvious we were a forward short, but that subsequently got addressed, and all things are looking swimmingly good.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Lallana - stunning
Veltman - classy

with White - solid

yes ?

Don't want to be picky, but Lamptey was signed last January, and White was already on our books, although understandable that he could be viewed as a 'new' player having returned from his season-long loan at Leeds.

But yes, the early summer signing of Lallana and the late summer signing of Welbeck, plus Veltman and Zeqiri, looks like really good business, especially for minimal outlay.

My delight at these signings is tempered by concern that Jahanbakhsh is never going to cut it at this level (I think we'll let him go in January and cut our losses), Connolly needs to be more consistent, and Maupay needs to curb the risk of becoming Billy Big Bollox.

Last edited:

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
You forgot the polish lads. They technically count as part of the transfer window. I’ve seen Moder play a bit for Poland and he looks class.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
In terms of value for money it was fantastic. We've also added quality in depth too, which will come in really useful as the season wears on.

That said I still think that if we want to push on up the table, playing in the Potter way, we still need one or two more top top players, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
think that it is almost impossible to assess a transfer window for the Albion in under 5 years, maybe longer. I can honestly say I know much about everyone we have signed this window.

When did we sign Lamptey, Webster, White, March, Alzate, Bissouma, Connolly, Molumby, certainly not in this window, but who all seem to have made a big step up and difference this year (so far) ?

But you know as well as I do, that's the whole idea, isn't it :wink:

I'm very pleased with Veltman, Lallana and Welbeck

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
think that it is almost impossible to assess a transfer window for the Albion in under 5 years, maybe longer. I can honestly say I know much about everyone we have signed this window.

In which case can we finally confirm that the 2014 summer window - Chris O Grady ! Adrian Colunga ! Joe Bennett ! Gary Gardner ! etc etc - probably wasn't a winner. or is it still up for debate ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wasn’t disappointed anyway, but the lads who have come in have been great. I don’t think our league position reflects the quality of our play this season either. Things are looking good.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Given the circumstances & obvious lack of spending money I’d say it was a fantastic transfer window.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In which case can we finally confirm that the 2014 summer window - Chris O Grady ! Adrian Colunga ! Joe Bennett ! Gary Gardner ! etc etc - probably wasn't a winner. or is it still up for debate ?

Up until now, I'd managed to banish these names from my memory. That was a godawful transfer window.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Was that the year we also signed N’Zuzi Toko or whatever his name was?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Seen very little of most of the signings, so the jury’s going to be out for quite a while. The couple that have been first team look pretty good. Personally, I am more than happy with the squad we have now have available. In fact, squad-wise, we’ve never had it so good. I am very optimistic about the remainder of the season.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

We certainly can.

It is frightening how far we have come. I remember standing with my son, pint in hand at the Lewes pre-season friendly, saying that O'Grady can certainly hold a ball up. And he could, it was just the rest of this playing football lark :facepalm:

I am still quite taken aback at how good our squad are, and it's only taken 53 years (in my case) :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My NSC stated mojo was something like an 8 out of 10 after the window, possibly a 9 now with regards to our transfer business.

I was elated with the signing of Lallana, but wondered if he’d be prone to injury lay offs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here