Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Police officer who paid 7p for 12 Krispy Kreme doughnuts says it was an 'honest mistake'

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I remember Quinn’s. Massive place on a corner and it used to do really nice beers. I’ve not been for 17 years though.

They did german and various other craft beers way before anyone else as I can recall, great place to hunker back and watch the crazy locals and football. Saw Stuart Goddard (AKA Adam Ant) come in once half naked pissing down outside with a carrier bag full of pineapples, he ordered a bloody mary and guinness paid for it and left it on the bar, for an hour came back drank them both in a blink of an eye and left again. (it was during one of his meltdowns) . He was actually alright on a good day, saw him in the rockabilly clubs a fair bit, he would get up and sing sometimes on a sunday at the Sun pub in Camden, so did Morrissey.

Shame we never actually met that night in Camden, I still remember that day, so pissed off I could not make it, I think I was stuck on a job somewhere in Hampstead Garden Suburbs.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
If I was ever going to try something like this I would always pay by card and never take the receipt.

How many people actually check the total before using contactless?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They did german and various other craft beers way before anyone else as I can recall, great place to hunker back and watch the crazy locals and football. Saw Stuart Goddard (AKA Adam Ant) come in once half naked pissing down outside with a carrier bag full of pineapples, he ordered a bloody mary and guinness paid for it and left it on the bar, for an hour came back drank them both in a blink of an eye and left again. (it was during one of his meltdowns) . He was actually alright on a good day, saw him in the rockabilly clubs a fair bit, he would get up and sing sometimes on a sunday at the Sun pub in Camden, so did Morrissey.

Shame we never actually met that night in Camden, I still remember that day, so pissed off I could not make it, I think I was stuck on a job somewhere in Hampstead Garden Suburbs.

Shame we never met that day.

So many good pubs and bars. The Lord Stanley was my local. Other places I loved were The Dublin Castle, The Spread Eagle, The Elephant (remember seeing the bench dedicated to your friend...think he had a Spanish name) The Engine Room, Lock Tavern ( they used to have some proper mad Sunday afternoon DJ sessions upstairs there. I remember Jon Carter playing a Xmas party and his missus Sarah Cox turned up having just recorded Xmas TOTP or something ), Good Mixer, Enterprise. I’m sure I’ve forgotten many. Happy days.

Do you go back to Camden?

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Complete non story - anyone who hasn't done this or similar once in their life is a liar....... queue loads of angels on here appearing to say they wouldn't dream of it.

There may well be quite a few on here who have done similar but I doubt that any of them have done it in full police uniform... while on duty.

It is that little detail that makes the story, not simply the label swapping.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-supermarkets-checkout-stealing-a8370621.html

"I was working with retailers to reduce shoplifting when one major supermarket discovered it had sold more carrots than it had ever had in stock. Puzzled by this development it looked into its inventories and found that in some cases customers were apparently purchasing 18kg of carrots in one go."

“Unfortunately this wasn’t a sudden switch to healthy eating, it was an early sign of a new type of shoplifter.”

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Shame we never met that day.

So many good pubs and bars. The Lord Stanley was my local. Other places I loved were The Dublin Castle, The Spread Eagle, The Elephant (remember seeing the bench dedicated to your friend...think he had a Spanish name) The Engine Room, Lock Tavern ( they used to have some proper mad Sunday afternoon DJ sessions upstairs there. I remember Jon Carter playing a Xmas party and his missus Sarah Cox turned up having just recorded Xmas TOTP or something ), Good Mixer, Enterprise. I’m sure I’ve forgotten many. Happy days.

Do you go back to Camden?

Not since lockdown, but yeah used to go at least once a month for a catch up.
Ha the lord Stanley was ours briefly when we lived on Camden Park Road, around 2002 about 10 doors down towards Islington.
Do you remember the glass collector there ? First person I saw in jogging bottoms, tad simple, he would go for a piss and just let his jogging bottoms and pants fall to the floor around his ankles thrust his midriff forward and just piss no hands, splashing all over the place. :sick:
Remember all those pubs very well as I lived in Camden and around from 95-2009, Elephants head was the main pub on Saturday and Sunday’s, all the indie kings drank in good mixer, and dare not come into the Ele’s.

Great days, sorry for derailing the thread folks

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Oh and one night in Quinns Kentish Town with a group of us, went to the bar lovely new barmaid from god knows where, kept ****ing up the change, we kept going back and one round between 6 of us cost 17p after we counted our change she gave back....

Woke up in the morning and it was as if fairies had put change in my pockets.

we were young, and took advantage sure, but heck take it.

I would correct someone now of course, and do if I have been given too much change, but when your young your gonna do it...

Decent pub that,but 10 years since i#ve been in.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
No place for dishonesty in life, but for a police officer to steal or be dishonest then i would expect nothing less than for him to loose his job.

If he worked for the government however.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Believe he was observed removing a 7p reduced sticker from carrots and putting it on the £10 tray of doughnuts before entering self service area.

Not according to the mirror. He weighed the carrots and printed out the bar code from the scales and presumably put it on the box instead of the loose carrots (which I'm guessing there were only a couple of them). He says he scanned the sticker and then the bar code on the donuts. Any CCTV will show if he tried to scan both but I'm guessing there isn't any as surely the case wouldn't have got this far if there was!!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
One thing I don't understand.
He scanned the bar code for the doughnuts but the carrots bar code that was on the box of doughnuts scanned instead. Right, got that.
How come when he scanned a 7p item but placed a box of doughnuts in the bag the computer didn't shout at him, wrong weight.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
One thing I don't understand.....
.....How come when he scanned a 7p item but placed a box of doughnuts in the bag the computer didn't shout at him, wrong weight.

^ Because the carrots were a reduced price sealed bag for 7p so weight was irrelevant.

I wondered about the weight difference too. It might be what led him to him being caught. Or maybe he was clever (although obviously not quite clever enough) and was careful to ensure that he took the required number and size of carrot which would be equal in weight to the box of donuts. The weight then would not have been alerted at the checkout.

I don't think they were a reduced price sealed bag.

He weighed the carrots to get the barcode sticker. I assume they had a different system in that store where there is a label dispenser at the scales. I have seen this system in place in Marina Asda I believe. At my local Tesco store it is a different system where it is weighed and priced at the checkout.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
clinton.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here