Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Foreign Aid

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is a cheap political stunt by a useless populist government.

Instead of doing something easy like this, why not actually make hard decisions. Such as

Increase taxes on the wealthy people who donate to your party
Stop business residing offshore undercutting small UK businesses
Simple really isnt it, wont happen though, ever.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Based on a sample size of 1 only, I was a bit put off by my friend (on benefits, never worked, vulnerable adult) who received a weekly food parcel during the first lockdown. She couldn't request anything. 90% of what she received (teabags but doesn't drink tea, fresh fruit and veg but doesn't eat either, rice, porridge oats, pasta but doesn't eat any) was just wasted and binned.

Bizarrely we also suddenly started receiving these parcels in March and the drivers refused to take them away. However a kindly young neighbor took them to the night shelter until we were able to contact the council to stop them being delivered!

I think it was how I completed my vulnerable persons registration that started the ball rolling.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The cutting of overseas aid is Right-wing virtue-signalling and faux-patriotism - it panders to the Gammonazis and Daily Mail readers.

What is so nauseating is the sheer hypocrisy of those who claim "We should cut overseas aid and look after our own instead", because many of them equally resent 'looking after our own'. We saw this in the vitriol directed at Marcus Rashford's free-school dinners campaign a few weeks ago, when so many Right-wingers said "People shouldn't have kids if they can't afford them. Why should my taxes pay to feed poor children." (the predictable online comments 'in' the Mail and the Telegraph were disgusting and depressing in the hatred, bigotry and ignorance they revealed among their readers).

The same "charity begins at home'" types also seem to assume that absolutely anyone in receipt of Benefits or assistance from Food Banks is a feckless 'scrounger' getting something-for-nothing and 'milking the system', so again, absolutely no desire to 'help our own', only condemnation and derision - even though the largest category of welfare claimants are those in work but receiving poverty wages (while many corporate CEOs and shareholders pocket £ millions).

I can't help suspecting that many of the 'scrap overseas aid' brigade hate the British poor and working-class just as much as they hate foreigners, and don't want a single penny of their taxes spent on either - only hand-outs for big business and Tory donors!

A lovely rant that always induces a good thumbing on NSC but please don't forget the pandering to many Daily Mirror/Guardian Readers (apparently a clear majority of Labour voters support reducing the aid budget) oh and even more Independent/New European/ Woke Warrior magazine readers (an even bigger majority of Lib Dems support reducing the aid budget). :thumbsup:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...hirds-britons-support-cutting-foreign-aid-bud

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
A lovely rant that always induces a good thumbing on NSC but please don't forget the pandering to many Daily Mirror/Guardian Readers (apparently a clear majority of Labour voters support reducing the aid budget) oh and even more Independent/New European/ Woke Warrior magazine readers (an even bigger majority of Lib Dems support reducing the aid budget). :thumbsup:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...hirds-britons-support-cutting-foreign-aid-bud

just so we're clear on the rules, if I disagree about reducing foreign, am I woke?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Based on a sample size of 1 only, I was a bit put off by my friend (on benefits, never worked, vulnerable adult) who received a weekly food parcel during the first lockdown. She couldn't request anything. 90% of what she received (teabags but doesn't drink tea, fresh fruit and veg but doesn't eat either, rice, porridge oats, pasta but doesn't eat any) was just wasted and binned.

what does she consume??

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Fortunately the average Brit is fairly generous with their own money - I think we have the highest proportion of the population who donate regularly to charity.

Foreign aid is such a complex subject, it's difficult to get too upset about the government's decision until it's clear how it will impact recipients. My suspicion, however - given the complete lack of empathy this government seems to have - is that we will be spending even LESS on those that need it, whilst at the same time continuing to line the pockets of the rich and un-deserving.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fortunately the average Brit is fairly generous with their own money - I think we have the highest proportion of the population who donate regularly to charity.

Foreign aid is such a complex subject, it's difficult to get too upset about the government's decision until it's clear how it will impact recipients. My suspicion, however - given the complete lack of empathy this government seems to have - is that we will be spending even LESS on those that need it, whilst at the same time continuing to line the pockets of the rich and un-deserving.

That's a guaranteed given. :down:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
In normal times I wouldn't support a reduction in the foreign aid budget despite the fact I find us giving money to the likes of China and India most unpalatable. The aid should go to poor countries not industrial powerhouses. So in theory I support the move....big BUT coming..............

If we have enough cash sloshing around to throw £16.5bn at the MOD WTF are we doing cutting foreign aid?

The MOD has a very long history of wasting taxpayers money (as any fellow Private Eye readers will be aware). Projects are always very late and significantly over-budget.

Does our great leader think that £16.5bn is going to allow us to duff up China or Russia if the balloon goes up?

Since the Falklands conflict our military might has only been used to try to effect regime change in countries we don't like. We tried using military force in the north of Ireland, in Afghanistan, in Libya, in Iraq....and didn't they all work out well?

So we stop giving foreign aid to feed the poor but give money to the MOD so they can up the weaponry to kill the poor.

And on the same day that essential key workers like binmen, street cleaners etc are shafted with a pay freeze (which will be an effective pay cut) whilst the residents of the Westminster piggery stick their snouts in the trough and get a £3K pay rise next year.

That's caring, compassionate Conservatism for ya. Enjoy!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

[tweet]1331661925126647813[/tweet]

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
This.
Difficult, but necessary choices IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea that the Nation is always skint and never any money is classic media brainwashing

From the same people who sell you Brexit saying we're the 6th richest country in the world

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The idea that the Nation is always skint and never any money is classic media brainwashing

From the same people who sell you Brexit saying we're the 6th richest country in the world

How much has been spent fighting covid adding to the national debt which the likes of most on here will be paying for in taxes up until we depart and probably are children and their children as well. If all countries are in the same boat who's the rich barsteward with all the money

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
just racking my brains. I'm sure something happened to our economy since the 2019 Manifesto that might cause the Govt to review its spending promises.

Now what was it?

Yeah there's no magic money tree is there?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I read today we are cutting our aid to third world countries like China (fastest growing economy in the world) and India ( has it's own space programme) yes I've singled these two out as they would seem a strange choice to give millions of pounds to every year .

So we've cut it down a smidgen yet still pay more than Germany ect , is this right ?

Should we still be giving foreign aid to those countries I've mentioned, I've absolutely no problem with aid being distributed to those that need it the most but this has to be some sort of sick joke when we ourselves are frankly wearing trousers with the arse hanging out at the moment .

I thought about asking Paul but I know he's busy so what say you .

Etc not ect ffs.

Carry on.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
[tweet]1331661925126647813[/tweet]

No, they didn't there has always been an understanding the target could change under exceptional circumstances ..

Duty to lay statement before Parliament if 0.7% target not met

(1)If an annual report laid before Parliament in the year 2016 or any subsequent calendar year shows that the 0.7% target has not been met in the report year, the Secretary of State must, as soon as reasonably practicable after laying the report, lay before Parliament a statement complying with subsections (3) and (4).

(2)If an annual report laid before Parliament in the year 2015 or any subsequent calendar year shows that the 0.7% target has been met in the report year but—
(a)the report is revised under section 1(4) of the 2006 Act by a subsequent annual report, and
(b)the effect of the revision is to show that the 0.7% target was not met in the report year,the Secretary of State must, as soon as reasonably practicable after laying the subsequent report, lay before Parliament a statement complying with subsection (3).

(3)A statement under subsection (1) or (2) must explain why the 0.7% target has not been met in the report year and, if relevant, refer to the effect of one or more of the following—
(a)economic circumstances and, in particular, any substantial change in gross national income;
(b)fiscal circumstances and, in particular, the likely impact of meeting the target on taxation, public spending and public borrowing;
(c)circumstances arising outside the United Kingdom.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/12/section/2/enacted

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here