Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Foreign Aid

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I read today we are cutting our aid to third world countries like China (fastest growing economy in the world) and India ( has it's own space programme) yes I've singled these two out as they would seem a strange choice to give millions of pounds to every year .

So we've cut it down a smidgen yet still pay more than Germany ect , is this right ?

Should we still be giving foreign aid to those countries I've mentioned, I've absolutely no problem with aid being distributed to those that need it the most but this has to be some sort of sick joke when we ourselves are frankly wearing trousers with the arse hanging out at the moment .

I thought about asking Paul but I know he's busy so what say you .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think you may find a large part of our Foreign Aid, whilst appearing admirable, is to make good some of the "advantages" we created for ourselves from some countries during our Empire Days, not saying this is 100% correct but have heard it mentioned before, and makes sense in parts of Asia and Africa?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Monday - UK top university and UK PLC develop affordable CV vaccine for the developing world

Wednesday - UK government, lets screw the developing world

What a week...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read today we are cutting our aid to third world countries like China (fastest growing economy in the world) and India ( has it's own space programme) yes I've singled these two out as they would seem a strange choice to give millions of pounds to every year .

So we've cut it down a smidgen yet still pay more than Germany ect , is this right ?

Should we still be giving foreign aid to those countries I've mentioned, I've absolutely no problem with aid being distributed to those that need it the most but this has to be some sort of sick joke when we ourselves are frankly wearing trousers with the arse hanging out at the moment .

I thought about asking Paul but I know he's busy so what say you .

It’s useful as it often smooths the path for lucrative arms deals further down the line.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Foreign aid has very little in the way benevolence to it. There will definitely be something in it for this country somewhere.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Foreign aid has very little in the way benevolence to it. There will definitely be something in it for this country somewhere.

Although it looks like the Chinese “aid” payment of £67 million will be stopped, most of that went to mutual projects on climate change. So it wasn’t really “ aid” more as you suggest, a mutual greasing of the wheels type funding.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just something else for Gammon to get indignant about

So £4B per annum cut to the developing world

£4B fund for red wall seats over the parliament term

Nice political stunt, just don't look at the detail. It might well work..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s useful as it often smooths the path for lucrative arms deals further down the line.

if people understood the main objectives of foreign aid, they'd probably not care so much. its more a overseas influence slush fund.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here