Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New book: From The Gutter To The Stars

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Albion fan Simon Medhurst is releasing a new book chronicling the rise of the Albion, with a significant amount of each book sale being donated to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Full details below. Please contact Simon directly if you wish to purchase one of the limited print run >>> email - simon-jane@tiscali.co.uk or on twitter.

jphfammabjbdlneh.png mdhebclbffmeepbn.png

Book Release Details: From The Gutter To The Stars By Simon Medhurst

An Overview
The book is a detailed memoir documenting the rise of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club from the turn of the Millennium to the end of May 2019. It isn’t about football per se it’s about following a particular football club, written by a fan for the fans. It concentrates on the passion, the heartache, the frustrations, the joy and lots of fun stories.

I’m sure these tales and anecdotes are similar to those of other football fans around the country but the Brighton and Hove Albion story is pretty unique. For we have come out of the doldrums and rocketed into the sky within a relatively short space of time.

Following Dick Knight saving the club from possible extinction and the clutches of non- league football we have now become a global brand under the leadership of Tony Bloom. We are now homed in a state of the art stadium in Falmer and have an outstanding academy headquarters a few miles west along the A27. The dynamics of the club have completely changed and hopefully as a fan I have captured this story along the way.

The Stories
It is jammed pack with fun stories and boy are there some varied & unconventional subject matter covered. To give you a flavour these include:-
• Numerous promotion & relegation campaigns
• 9/11
• The clubs centenary
• Numerous battles with Crystal Palace
• Poogate
• The Falmer For All Campaign
• Winning the Coca Cola Kid
• The building of the Amex
• Trips to Millennium & Wembley Stadium
• The magic of Withdean
• Notorious away days at Pompey, Bolton, Preston, Rotherham Aston Villa & Burnley
• My pursuit of 92 league grounds
• Shoreham air disaster
• Being served by paedophiles in Exeter
• Wife kissed by DJ
• A brief encounter with Mini-Me
• An argument with a political commentator
• A famous actor being run over
• Getting to the Premier League
• An insight into the key individuals including Mr Bloom, Barber, Poyet, Garcia, Hughton, Murray, Fatboy Slim & others

I also express my concerns about the demise of the modern day Premier League footballer, touch on my playing days in the West Sussex Football League, give a shout out to my brilliant team mates at Rudgwick FC and our little claim to fame.

Talking of fame there is a chapter on Kirdford the village I grew up in, its celebrity culture, a story that will make you laugh and another that will make your blood curdle plus a Grand National winner that provided the village with its own international fame.

Finally it gives a little insight into my personal life as it documents how we as a family have dealt with our ups, downs and illness during the period of Albion’s uprising. Sadly my Mum, my wife Jane and sister Sasha have had to battle against Cancer and I talk openly about these three very brave and special ladies. It also touches on my redundancy in 2016, mental health, me re-aligning my priorities, how I have handled the family cancer battles with a bit of self-help thrown in for good measure. A football fans guide to help get through life.

Parental Guidance: A word of warning this book does contain the occasional swear word.

Cost – A Charitable Donation
Cost (TBC between £10-12-50. We want the including P&P to be no greater than £15). All proceeds (sales income less printing costs) will be going to MacMillan a brilliant charity who looked after Jane so well in her hours of desperate need. So you can indulge knowing you are making a difference.

Simon James Medhurst
Born 24th June 1965. Despite being born in Surrey I have lived in Sussex all my life. West Ham United was my first love but I dumped them and started supporting Brighton in the early/mid-seventies. I have spent my entire life working in insurance, I love watching live sport and going to gigs. Other than sport cooking is my passion and I firmly believe that comedy & laughter is the best tonic in life. Married to Jane we have two beautiful grown up daughters Elissa-Jane and Robyn.

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
Thank you Bozza so much for your support it's appreciated. I've already received 5 orders this am.

These books will make ideal Xmas presents and there will be collection and delivery options available. The cost of the books will be £11.50 (collection only) or £15 delivery (including p&p).Please support the cause

Many Thanks
AKA Simon Medhurst

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Thank you Bozza so much for your support it's appreciated. I've already received 5 orders this am.

These books will make ideal Xmas presents and there will be collection and delivery options available. The cost of the books will be £11.50 (collection only) or £15 delivery (including p&p).Please support the cause

Many Thanks
AKA Simon Medhurst

Hi Simon,

What would the price be for delivery to Australia?

Cheers, Petunia

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As a former Rudgwick FC player, as was my Son, I've sent you an order!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Many Thanks
AKA Simon Medhurst

Where is collection from (roughly, not a full address)?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patreon
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Many Thanks
AKA Simon Medhurst

Just emailed you. Apologies for the multiple emails,it’s been a long week!

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
Update - 230 Plus Pre Order Reservations

Well what a start, so thank you all for your support. Out of the 231 copies reserved I estimate 20% of the orders have come from the NSC community.

It's amazing to hear about how far reaching the love for the Albion is spread around our planet. I've received messages of support from Australia and South Africa plus I've got 2 orders from the Southern Hemisphere, thank you Petunia for your support.

Please keep spreading the word as our target is shifting 600 copies. Collection points will be Southwater, Kings & Stevens Plant Hire depot (on A272-where you will be able to buy copies across the counter) and possibly a central collection point in Brighton (depending on when the books arrive & COVID regs).

In the meantime thoughts on VAR? yes its ruining football, yes its stopping refs being in total control of the game and yes its given skilled divers a greater platform but will the 4 points its earned us in the last eight days keep us in the PL?

Best wishes

Le TISS (Tiltman In Saunders Sold)

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hi [MENTION=16551]LeTiss[/MENTION] I have pm'd you about possibly having a chat on my podcast to promote the book, let me know if you're interested!

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
From The Gutter To The Stars Roar

Thanks The Large One.

I cant wait. I look forward to chatting tomorrow.

I await necessary details!!!

Many Thanks:clap2:
Le TISS

Thanks to you and Ady for giving me a great platform to launch the book. Really enjoyed the experience. You and Bozza have been stars just like the rest of the Albion community.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here