Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tier Two for most of England

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thinking on your reply, I have to agree. While I think Johnson has been individually awful throughout, we are dealing with a pandemic and it’s going to wreak havoc whatever the response.
So yes, I take your point.

This is it. It's a tricky line to tread but support of/understanding of the need for some level of restrictions =/= support for Johnson and his bunch of morons.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Absolutely. It's the little things that are really taking their toll. Having a young child and partner not having baby groups to go to, for example. Not being able to meet others inside (apart from work ffs), which is again especially shit for people with young children at this time of year. The amount of people's mental health and livelihoods are being seriously effected is seriously frustrating when pubs, for example, have spent thousands to ensure their premises is safe as possible to visit.

I fully expected us to go back to Tier 1 based on cases here, so was royally pissed off when basically everywhere was announced as at least Tier 2. It just doesn't make sense and is so unnecessary imo.

I have the utmost sympathy for anyone with pre school age kids especially. It's a tough time of life at the best of times without throwing Covid into the mix. Deprived sleep, Deprived of family assistance and deprived of a social life with something that shits in a nappy and a grumpy other half for company. When my youngest had colic we were close to breaking point. I'm thankful they are a decent age now.

Whacking all 5 series of Narcos on Netflix and waiting for this to blow over isn't the answer for everyone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well. This is the bit I don’t get though.

Why are people happily jetting around Europe during a worldwide pandemic? Was it really essential for them to leave the country?

Have to agree with you here. People just don't get it and that is why we end up with these lockdowns and tiers. The point in a pandemic is to avoid unnecessary contact yet as soon as the lockdown is over people seem to see that as the greenlight to go back to doing what they want! Seems some people have to be spoon fed common sense.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There aren’t rules to follow. Everything’s open. Some blurred nonsense about households and rules of six. What we do makes no difference.
The only thing that would make a difference is a full lockdown. Not this face-saving, random jabbing, joke of a plan.
It’s ****ed.

And there in lies the problem - the rules are made up nonsense with no logic.

Covid.png

EDIT - see I was beaten to it !

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
And there in lies the problem - the rules are made up nonsense with no logic.

View attachment 130848

Personally I can absolutely see the logic. The substantial meal requirement is to allow people into A pub but prevent those people going to MANY pubs in the same evening and therefore cross-mixing with many more people. Without this restriction then Friday/Saturday night pub crawls would be allowed and then all pubs would need to be shut. Having the substantial meal requirement allows us all in Tier 2 to still go to a pub and have a meal. While I'm sure some people would give it a good go I doubt most people would attempt doing two, three or four pubs in an evening having a meal in each and so this very logical restriction allows these pubs to remain open.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well. This is the bit I don’t get though.

Why are people happily jetting around Europe during a worldwide pandemic? Was it really essential for them to leave the country?

In this case yes it was.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Yoda

English & European
This weeks report will be out tomorrow for the week ending today, but just to compare, I will update my post to see if that holds true.

Covid bed occupied:
View attachment 130816

MV Beds occupied (IE, could be in ICU but not necessarily hooked up to a ventilator):
View attachment 130817

As promised, here is the updated Covid bed situation in our three acute hospitals trusts in Sussex.

Covid beds occupied:
Annotation 2020-11-27 132555.png

MV Beds occupied (IE, could be in ICU but not necessarily hooked up to a ventilator):
Annotation 2020-11-27 132745.png

I only wish the weekly report went into a bit more information regarding age groups like the monthly report.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
have you seen the rise in infection rates in same time frame? its not funny.

Rise in infection rates? Care to back that up? That’s utter rubbish in many of the areas that went in on tier one and are now tier 2/3, and if that was the case lockdown doesn’t work then seen as some areas have seen a RISE during it?

Yoda

English & European
Can someone care to explain why one week after exiting a 2 week lockdown, Northern Ireland is going back into another 2 week lockdown from today?
Annotation 2020-11-27 134857.png

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Rise in infection rates? Care to back that up? That’s utter rubbish in many of the areas that went in on tier one and are now tier 2/3, and if that was the case lockdown doesn’t work then seen as some areas have seen a RISE during it?

back it up? i was asking if you have compared, its pretty common knowledge they've increased across the board. i take it not. i suppose you dont understand that rates rise, restrictions increase. yes, lockdown hasnt done much and neither will the tiers, all the time people dont follow the simple guidance. but its the best we can do unless we are going to zero restriction, just let it go and see what happens.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

have you seen the rise in infection rates in same time frame? its not funny.

back it up? i was asking if you have compared, its pretty common knowledge they've increased across the board. i take it not. i suppose you dont understand that rates rise, restrictions increase. yes, lockdown hasnt done much and neither will the tiers, all the time people dont follow the simple guidance. but its the best we can do unless we are going to zero restriction, just let it go and see what happens.

Not supporting either stance, but it is useful to look at the evidence. This is national cases - there doesn't appear to have been a 'rise in infection rates' in the same time frame (since Nov 5, which is what the diagram showed).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 156

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Not supporting either stance, but it is useful to look at the evidence. This is national cases - there doesn't appear to have been a 'rise in infection rates' in the same time frame (since Nov 5, which is what the diagram showed).

interesting. been watching the news every day with rising rates reported, near everywhere 2-3x what i recall pre-lockdown. yet that graph indicates a decline at national scale. ??? honestly have to wonder whats going on then. and apologies to The Wizard.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
interesting. been watching the news every day with rising rates reported, near everywhere 2-3x what i recall pre-lockdown. yet that graph indicates a decline at national scale. ??? honestly have to wonder whats going on then. and apologies to The Wizard.

Press misinformation as always! Deaths have risen as 2 weeks ago we had the peak of cases but those should start decreasing soon.

Use https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ you can see all the details yourself here, infections are down 25% in the last 7 days but yes, locally in some areas rates have risen bizzarely, I think this shows that there is very little if any benefit to ‘national lockdown’ and that targeted lockdowns in hotspots are probably more beneficial.

That was one of the reasons I opposed the 2nd full lockdown and it appears that the numbers back up that national lockdowns when you have such differing infection rates in different areas are pointless.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I have the utmost sympathy for anyone with pre school age kids especially. It's a tough time of life at the best of times without throwing Covid into the mix. Deprived sleep, Deprived of family assistance and deprived of a social life with something that shits in a nappy and a grumpy other half for company. When my youngest had colic we were close to breaking point. I'm thankful they are a decent age now.

Whacking all 5 series of Narcos on Netflix and waiting for this to blow over isn't the answer for everyone.

Thank you. It's been really tough, but there's many people in far worse situations so we've tried not to complain much. We do really feel that parents on mat/pat leave especially have been largely forgotten when it comes to the rules though. My partner's ended up breaking the rules loads to meet other mums with babies inside. It's simply not realistic to organise meeting up outside all the time in winter weather when youre both trying to find a window between napping/feeding etc. If she hadn't broken the rules to meet other mums inside she would've lost the plot during the lockdowns without any other baby groups etc to go to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here