Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone have a Wildlife Trail Camera?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Hi all,

We occasionally get foxes in our garden and theres a badger set nearby too so I'd like to try and get some pictures either day (or more likely) at night of any wildlife that comes into our garden. I've tried a DIY approach in the past with a raspberry PI but it hasn't worked too well.

Has anyone got or used a Wildlife Trail camera and have any recommendations on makes to try/avoid? I'm very tempted by ones like this on Amazon https://amzn.to/2V0UyzI but thought I'd ask NSC first :)

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2012
perth
I bought the Campark T70 about 6 motnhs ago and had to return the first one as it stopped taking night shots within about a month, but the replacement has been fine so far and overral I'm very happy/impressed with quality and functionality

The big thing for me was getting a 'no light' night shot camera meaning you cannot see the LEDs come on at all when it takes night shots. We are using it in quite a large area of bushland here in Aus to check out the wildlife, but people have a habit of trespassing on our property so I didnt want anyone to see it flashing at them. All No light cameras operate at 940NM wheras as 'low light works at 850NM...I think the one you are looking at is a 'low light' which means it may take better night shots/videos but as I said will be partly visible to humans when it does so...bottom line, I think Campark are good value-have fun with it.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I bought the Campark T70 about 6 motnhs ago and had to return the first one as it stopped taking night shots within about a month, but the replacement has been fine so far and overral I'm very happy/impressed with quality and functionality

The big thing for me was getting a 'no light' night shot camera meaning you cannot see the LEDs come on at all when it takes night shots. We are using it in quite a large area of bushland here in Aus to check out the wildlife, but people have a habit of trespassing on our property so I didnt want anyone to see it flashing at them. All No light cameras operate at 940NM wheras as 'low light works at 850NM...I think the one you are looking at is a 'low light' which means it may take better night shots/videos but as I said will be partly visible to humans when it does so...bottom line, I think Campark are good value-have fun with it.

Thanks - will take a look at the different Campark cameras. Think low light is fine for what I'm using it for but hadn't realised there were those options.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
My Ring outdoor cam is useful for watching the foxes close to the front garden...not what u had in mind I imagine

Interesting - I had wondered about something like that but can you set it so it doesn't notify you just on the camera as we have the doorbell as well already?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have a pair of Blink outdoor cameras which record to the cloud. Whilst not what you are after, a warning on battery use. Mine lasted a week instead of two years. Damn night creatures kept setting them off, but fun to watch back next day.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting - I had wondered about something like that but can you set it so it doesn't notify you just on the camera as we have the doorbell as well already?

Umm...i dont know if i am reading you right ....but each device can be set individually ...such as notifications on one off and one on...mines the battery operated on....and has a really long charge ...i cant say i bought it for the foxes...but just ended up watching them once when i was checking the front garden.

Currently on a Black Friday deal

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

I bought the cheaper Campak T45 back in May, and it also seems to have stopped taking night shots. I wish I'd bought a "no light" camera, so probably won't bother trying to return it. Also, some of the menu options were rather puzzling. The main frustration was that the only way to get it lined up and pointing in the right direction, was trial and error - you can't view the screen while positioning it. Maybe some cameras have phone connections for previewing?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

i have had a 'crenova 12mp model from amazon' for a while though it has spent more time at my daughters. It works pretty well. More modern ones are have more megapixels, blue tooth and most crucially more IR lights to get better images.

NOTE more megapixels is not necessarily a good thing for dark photography as bigger pixels take the light more easily...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here