Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, the missing piece of jigsaw?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well-informed article on 90mins website lauding BHA's decision to take Welbeck on a 1-year contract: https://www.90min.com/posts/danny-welbeck-missing-piece-brighton-jigsaw-opinion

Some rather unnecessary digs at Maupay, but not a bad read. Hope it's as factual as it sounds, after all one swallow doesn't a summer make!

Clearly the author of this piece appeared to rate Murray above Maupay and does little to mention Maupay's contribution last season - 10 goals in a debut Premier League season wasn't a bad return!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Reading an article in The Athletic it says that Danny Welbeck's parents are both from Ghana. As are Tariq Lamptey's parents.

I think a Ghana flag may well be in order at future home fixtures.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Reading an article in The Athletic it says that Danny Welbeck's parents are both from Ghana. As are Tariq Lamptey's parents.

Also could explain why Welbeck was so quick to protect Lamptey after he was sent off as Grealish was telling him to **** off. How was Tariq supposed to know that if you challenge Grealish for the ball, it’s a foul and yellow card.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I wasn't sure how old he was so googled it. Today is his birthday! (30)

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I wasn't sure how old he was so googled it. Today is his birthday! (30)
That makes him younger than Jordan Henderson, which surprises me.

Happy Birthday Danny.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don’t like the negativity about Maupay, he could at least have mentioned how he and Welbeck seem to be striking up an early understanding in the Villa game. We will need Maupay and Welbeck and hopefully often on the pitch at the same time imo. Welbeck will take the pressure of Maupay and he’ll find his scoring boots again.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Happy Birthday Welbz, have a great day my friend.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m a Maupay fan, but I don’t disagree with the writer that his form is concerning. He’s missed a number of big chances (including one against Villa) and with the fine margins at this level, we simply have to be putting more of those away. Hopefully Welbeck’s arrival may take the pressure off him.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Critical of Maupay, yes, but facts are facts. He needs to refind that killer instinct, for a striker often less is more. Hopefully it'll come, about13:30 on Saturday would be good.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Critical of Maupay, yes, but facts are facts. He needs to refind that killer instinct, for a striker often less is more. Hopefully it'll come, about13:30 on Saturday would be good.

In the changing room at half time? Personally I’d rather he did his scoring on the pitch!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Unnecessarily critical of Maupay, overly praising Murray's last season or two, the article is more than a little superficial. I fail to see how bringing in two experienced players to help a young group along is a change of policy? We don't have a lot of money this season oh and we still also signed the two Polish lads poorly researched nonsense IMO...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If he stays free of injury Welbeck is still young enough to recapture some of the form he had earlier in his career when he was one of the countries top strikers. I am keeping my fingers crossed because him up front with A N Other could get us to mid table. From what I have seen so far, he still has a bit of pace, can hold it up, lay it off, has vision, good in the air, a quick brain and can score goals. What more would a boy want in a pair of shoes?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Always thought that Danny Welbeck had a touch of West Indian about him, not West African . . . but there you go.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If he stays free of injury Welbeck is still young enough to recapture some of the form he had earlier in his career when he was one of the countries top strikers. I am keeping my fingers crossed because him up front with A N Other could get us to mid table. From what I have seen so far, he still has a bit of pace, can hold it up, lay it off, has vision, good in the air, a quick brain and can score goals. What more would a boy want in a pair of shoes?

Score goals? Danny Welbeck? the other attributes you mention may well hold true, but sadly, for a striker, he has never scored enough goals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm hoping Welbeck can assist Maupay in getting him back to last season's Maupay that was more confident

More confident than this fella from just 2 months ago?

There ain't much wrong with Neil.
Plenty wrong with fans who think he should score every single chance that's presented to him.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
More confident than this fella from just 2 months ago?

There ain't much wrong with Neil.
Plenty wrong with fans who think he should score every single chance that's presented to him.

Something has gone wrong since then, like I said a loss of confidence. Should've nailed that 1 on 1 against Villa

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here