Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona has died

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Was he the greatest ever footballer or was he just significantly better than most during his era. I unfortunately didn't get much of a chance to see him play

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Judging by the scream touching Solly March's shinpad induces, in the modern era he'd never get off the ground.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was he the greatest ever footballer or was he just significantly better than most during his era. I unfortunately didn't get much of a chance to see him play

Probably both.

At his peak, he was absolutely mesmerising. And his greatest feat was dragging not one but TWO bang-average sides to glory, at club and international level. He really was the difference. Nobody could stop him.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
He would have been even better in the modern era with the extra protection players are given. I bet they are very sad in Napoli tonight, too - he gave a huge amount to that city.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can't believe this news
Absolute football genius on the park and greatest player ever
What magic he brought to every team he played for
I think I have liked iconic teams like Barcelona and Napoli mainly because of him
We love football because of players like Maradona
England have never produced anything half as good

We did. Gascoigne at Italia 1990. Never the same after that horror injury in the FA Cup final in 1991. We could have built a team around him IF we didn't get landed with Turnip Taylor.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I assume this is in reference to hand of God? If so I never really got the anger over this. Players cheat all over the pitch and I have only ever seen it as just another one that got away with it. How is it different to diving, feigning injury, taking a forward out if you are last man etc etc

Not many players get a 15 month ban for cocaine, or thrown out of the World Cup for failing a drug test.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He would have been even better in the modern era with the extra protection players are given. I bet they are very sad in Napoli tonight, too - he gave a huge amount to that city.

Many of them turned on him when he played for Argentina against Italy in the 1990 World Cup semi-final there (even though he fluffed his penalty against them).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We did. Gascoigne at Italia 1990. Never the same after that horror injury in the FA Cup final in 1991. We could have built a team around him IF we didn't get landed with Turnip Taylor.

Sorry, Gascoigne was great but he was never (and would never have been) another Diego Maradona.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maradona single-handedly (pardon the pun) won the World Cup for the Argies in 1986. What a player. Although I was very young, I vaguely remember all the anger afterwards. Now maybe a lot of it was down to the Falklands war four years earlier? I don't know.

I hope dear Sir Bobby Robson now gets the chance to have a chat with him about why he had to do the Hand Of God and cheat outrageously. Two completely different people in life. Bobby the gent simply called him a rascal after the match. Always felt the referees were dodgy in Mexico towards South American sides.

Well RIP to a brilliant footballer. Shows you what cocaine does to the heart and damage it causes though.

The Sun (who else ?) fuelled that.

But the anger was merely down to the goal itself.

That said, if the shoe had been on the other foot...

England struggled in midfield that match. But it was fair to say they outplayed us.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Many of them turned on him when he played for Argentina against Italy in the 1990 World Cup semi-final there (even though he fluffed his penalty against them).
That was a contentious time & team. But winning the (only) two titles that Naples have won, one of them being the double as well...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yes, yes he was.

Pelé scored more goals. Lionel Messi has won more trophies. Both have lived more stable lives than the overweight former cocaine addict who tops this list, whose relationship with football became increasingly strained the longer his career continued. If you’ve seen Diego Maradona with a football at his feet, you’ll understand.

— Andrew Murray on Maradona topping FourFourTwo magazine's "100 Greatest Footballers Ever" list, July 2017

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He was very, very good and very, very flawed.

Had he been "one of ours" I would be genuinely cut up. God help me I'll be sad when Gazza goes and he's had a boat load of issues. But he was, when it comes down to it, a nasty, drug addicted cheat and sublime national hero.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, yes he was.

Pelé scored more goals. Lionel Messi has won more trophies. Both have lived more stable lives than the overweight former cocaine addict who tops this list, whose relationship with football became increasingly strained the longer his career continued. If you’ve seen Diego Maradona with a football at his feet, you’ll understand.

— Andrew Murray on Maradona topping FourFourTwo magazine's "100 Greatest Footballers Ever" list, July 2017

Yep, Maradona tops the list for me. Pele was great but he had some brilliant players around him, Messi is a flat track bully who goes missing when it comes to big games but Maradona powered Argentina to one WC and Napoli to two Serie A titles (the only time in their history). What a player

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
E339E873-2A79-494F-91CC-FAF68B08A2A1.jpeg

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The Sun (who else ?) fuelled that.

But the anger was merely down to the goal itself.

That said, if the shoe had been on the other foot...

England struggled in midfield that match. But it was fair to say they outplayed us.

Let's not forget it was in the heat of Mexico so we were always up against it playing a South American team

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised anymore about some of the comments on here - he was an outstanding football player and without doubt one of the best ever. I hated it when that handball was allowed but that doesn’t take away from his genius as a player. Bestie was a superb footballer but flawed in many aspects of his life - same with Gazza and many others. Maradona was superior to both though imo. The point I think PW made(apologies if wrong) is correct - we all have flaws(and talents). His were at the more extreme end of the spectrum(Maradona’s not PW’s - I assume!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here