Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona has died

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]Pmm7r4ynyIQ&t=61s[/yt]

If you haven't already seen this 2019 documentary on him - you should. It was knocking about on C4 earlier this year, its an incredible story. Most of it is on his time in Naples, where he was revered as a God, but the incessant pressure and demands on him as a flawed human being eventually took their toll.

It might even change your opinion on him a bit. It did mine.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A heavy coke habit in middle age is likely to do you for you. RIP but absolutely no surprise. I thought he was going to die during the last world cup

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I find it impossible to not be a little saddened by this news. He was arguably the greatest player to ever play the greatest game on earth. Almost definitely the best to watch.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

If you haven't already seen this 2019 documentary on him - you should. It was knocking about on C4 earlier this year, its an incredible story. Most of it is on his time in Naples, where he was revered as a God, but the incessant pressure and demands on him as a flawed human being eventually took their toll.

Nice one, will deffo watch that.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I didn't say I was ok with it but it seems to form part of the game so I can't get too stressed about it. If the powers that be are unable to enforce the laws of the game then players will always take advantage. I watched Best and Charlton a lot in their prime. Best gave as good as he got and wasn't averse to the dark arts. If a player scores a goal whether it be a deliberate hand ball or the tug of an opponents shirt then the end result is the same, they have cheated to score

But he didn't even admit it.

Hand of God and head of Diego.

Made it even worse.

Great player though.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
the documentary on him is really good. It was on 4OD, not sure if it still is

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

It didn't show nearly enough on field magic for me. Was disappointed by it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
original

What an iconic image. Sums him up beautifully.

Hmmmm. Not really. Not for me.

Bit of a swizz that picture, in all honesty.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
One of the greatest players of all time Agentina loved him and he loved the adulation, he lived the high life George Best would have recognised Alcohol Drugs weight all played there part in his downfall and ultimately his death age 60 is to young but not a total surprise.

Rest in peace little magician

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I assume this is in reference to hand of God? If so I never really got the anger over this. Players cheat all over the pitch and I have only ever seen it as just another one that got away with it. How is it different to diving, feigning injury, taking a forward out if you are last man etc etc

I was more the context of it, in the World Cup finals and having the effect of dumping us out of the tournament. There were millions of us fuming on the edge of our sofas at home shouting “you cheating little f****r”. For all his ability, I could never get over his attitude over the incident. “Hand of God”, my arse!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Ooh it’s a corner;9606370 said:
Forget all the other stuff - the guy was a brilliant footballer - undoubtedly one of the most talented ever - RIP Diego

Yep. a deeply flawed man...... but that could apply to many of us, but without doubt one of the best ever to play the game, a mercurial talent and unplayable on his day.

He may well be remembered most by us English for the the hand of God, but in that same game he scored one of the best solo goals Ive seen in my lifetime, single handedly skinned a few of our players and went through us like a knife through warm butter.

A flawed genius just like Gazza and Best.

RIP Diego, and thanks for the memories.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Saw a brilliant video of him dancing to life is life whilst warming up before a Napoli game once!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Best player ever for me. Of course I hated him for a long while for the hand ball but I moved on. Loved Pele but he couldn’t destroy you single handily.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Always reminds me of the greatest piece of football commentary by the late great Bryon Butler. They can resume their partnership in the green fields of heaven...

'Maradona, turns like a little eel, he comes away from trouble. Little squat man, comes inside Butcher and leaves him for dead, outside Fenwick
and leaves him for dead, and puts the ball away.

And that is why Maradona is the greatest player in the world...he buried the English defence, he picked up that ball 40 yards out,
first he left one man for dead, then we went past Sansom, it's a goal of great quality by a player of the greatest quality'

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Maradona single-handedly (pardon the pun) won the World Cup for the Argies in 1986. What a player. Although I was very young, I vaguely remember all the anger afterwards. Now maybe a lot of it was down to the Falklands war four years earlier? I don't know.

I hope dear Sir Bobby Robson now gets the chance to have a chat with him about why he had to do the Hand Of God and cheat outrageously. Two completely different people in life. Bobby the gent simply called him a rascal after the match. Always felt the referees were dodgy in Mexico towards South American sides.

Well RIP to a brilliant footballer. Shows you what cocaine does to the heart and damage it causes though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was he actually that bad? As far as I can tell his only "crime" is that he likes a drink and a bit of powder, both pretty mainstream hobbies in modern Britain.

He'll always be disliked here for the handball, but he's universally loved wherever he's played. To me that tells hurts own story.

That’s exactly how I feel about him Billy. I’d have watched him play and then joined him for a night out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here