[Football] Maradona has died

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I can't believe this news
Absolute football genius on the park and greatest player ever
What magic he brought to every team he played for
I think I have liked iconic teams like Barcelona and Napoli mainly because of him
We love football because of players like Maradona
England have never produced anything half as good

I completely agree with you.

One thing to remember is that the reporting on Maradona's personal life was based partly over course because he acted like a knob, but just as much to tap into an Anti Argentinian xenophobia which was prevalent at the time after the Falklands crisis.

There's loads of stuff I wouldn't begin to defend Diego for. But him and Besty had very similar career arcs and very similar demons and the way they were reported on differs wildly

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Brilliant footballer, cheat, alcoholic and addict. Sad and a young age for most, but not for him. He battered his body in to the ground and I'm surprised he made 50, let alone 60. So many of the very finest talents live on the edge and have to fight with their demons to make old bones. Bestie didn't, Gazza limps on. Musicians too. It's as if they get extra talent to live a glorious youth in some kind of deal with the devil that takes them early. I'm not suggesting they all head for the fiery place when they pass, but they certainly fit the 'life well lived' moniker. RIP to a wonderful footballer.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I assume this is in reference to hand of God? If so I never really got the anger over this. Players cheat all over the pitch and I have only ever seen it as just another one that got away with it. How is it different to diving, feigning injury, taking a forward out if you are last man etc etc

So you are essentially saying that you are OK with players cheating? Don't recall Charlton, Eusébio, Best or Pele doing any of the above?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Disagree with that. He would of scored twice as many with the protection players get these days.

Watch a montage of him at Napoli, in 90% of the clips opponents are trying to break his legs. An absolute genius.

Messi is still the GOAT for me.

Both Argentinians have similar qualities including having the one of the greatest left feet in history. However, Messi has a superior right foot (89 goals) to Maradona (as well as a range of other attributes from fitness, professionalism, loyalty, common sense, humanity, ethics, goal statistics etc).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Disagree with that. He would of scored twice as many with the protection players get these days.

Watch a montage of him at Napoli, in 90% of the clips opponents are trying to break his legs. An absolute genius.

The point I was making was that his lifestyle would have done for him in the modern game. Not doubting his skills.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
There will be no faux RIP from me, I hated the fat, cheating arrogant *******

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
George Best also died on 25 November.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
original

What an iconic image. Sums him up beautifully.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
So you are essentially saying that you are OK with players cheating? Don't recall Charlton, Eusébio, Best or Pele doing any of the above?

I didn't say I was ok with it but it seems to form part of the game so I can't get too stressed about it. If the powers that be are unable to enforce the laws of the game then players will always take advantage. I watched Best and Charlton a lot in their prime. Best gave as good as he got and wasn't averse to the dark arts. If a player scores a goal whether it be a deliberate hand ball or the tug of an opponents shirt then the end result is the same, they have cheated to score

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just watched his second goal again with the Spanish commentary and I'm crying my eyes out as I write these words.

A masterpiece.

To be able to do something of that beauty, which creates so much joy is something that 99.99999% will never be able to do.

I feel like a piece of my childhood has died.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It has to be said that if an England player had scored the hand of God goal and then went on to win the world cup, we would look at it slightly differently.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I wouldn't be disrespectful enough to speak ill of the dead; but neither will I spend too much time mourning him....

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don’t know how I feel about this.
One of the best footballers that has ever lived but a horrible human being

Was he actually that bad? As far as I can tell his only "crime" is that he likes a drink and a bit of powder, both pretty mainstream hobbies in modern Britain.

He'll always be disliked here for the handball, but he's universally loved wherever he's played. To me that tells hurts own story.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here