Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maradona has died

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
One thing I detest is comparing players, especially from different eras, it seems you can't talk about Lionel Messi without someone chiming in saying Ronaldo is better. They are completely different players anyway. Same with Pele and Maradonna, what makes them the greats is they are unique in their own right and not comparable

Except Maradonna did it off his tits half the time! :whistle:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Except Maradonna did it off his tits half the time! :whistle:

Eh?

article-0-0050FAA400000258-620_306x242.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Some people are just bitter and twisted on this thread.

The hand of God was 34 years ago. Get over it.

Name one player that never claimed a dubious handball, off side, throw in, or just fell over in the penalty area. Football is full of it.

In the dribbling clip, Maradona doesn't fall over once, despite the increasing violent attempts to tackle him and bring him down. If they had connected, most of them would broken a leg or worse.

He was the best and most gifted player of his generation, who hauled two bog-standard Argentina teams to World Cup finals almost on his own.

A genius. Flawed, but still a genius.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If he did that much coke where the **** did he get his appetite to get that big.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
What a player, always thought Pele was better but in reality Pele was surrounded by other great players, Maradona took teams full of average players (Argentina and Napoli) to greater heights.

The first Southern based side to win a Scudetto,I think that was a bigger achievement than winning The World Cup.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

As I said earlier in the thread, I loved Maradona and think he is the greatest ever so not trying to do down his ability, but famously that photo is a trick image. Like the photos on Bournemouth beach, the angle that was taken gives a totally incorrect view.

He wasn’t about to take on 6 Belgians, they were waiting in a wall as Maradona recieved a short free kick from Ardilles:

5680f3e7d0dfdb76188f0343cf180989.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As I said earlier in the thread, I loved Maradona and think he is the greatest ever so not trying to do down his ability, but famously that photo is a trick image. Like the photos on Bournemouth beach, the angle that was taken gives a totally incorrect view.

He wasn’t about to take on 6 Belgians, they were waiting in a wall as Maradona recieved a short free kick from Ardilles:

It's so clear that the image is taken after a free kick given the closeness of the opposition.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011

I know all of this, I’ve stated it in the ‘best football photo’ thread somewhere but even so, it’s lovely photograph

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A more innocent time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1331712228098191364[/tweet]

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
I know all of this, I’ve stated it in the ‘best football photo’ thread somewhere but even so, it’s lovely photograph

This was an opening game from Spain 1982 but he did take on and beat a whole bunch of Belgiun defenders four years later in the semi final.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
7B39B9F0-1D74-4095-AA7B-6BBB1142E1B3.jpeg

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The quarter final in 1986 was the only day I wish VAR was being used.
Fantastic player though and a character as well off the pitch RIP

I honestly never got the hatred for him, I remember the match well, they were better than us for 75 minutes, then Robson brought Barnes on and it almost turned the game.
The first goal for me was possibly the worst refereeing mistake in such a high profile game there’s ever been, how the **** the ref and lino missed that god only knows, unless of course they didn’t...........

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

B2A9C3C8-4DB4-402E-8949-7154CA8AFD89.jpeg

:)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I honestly never got the hatred for him, I remember the match well, they were better than us for 75 minutes, then Robson brought Barnes on and it almost turned the game.
The first goal for me was possibly the worst refereeing mistake in such a high profile game there’s ever been, how the **** the ref and lino missed that god only knows, unless of course they didn’t...........

Maybe they should look at developing some sort of video playback system to check refs decisions on important issues like goals and things??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here