Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Favourite acronymy

...Prompted by this entertaining and informative piece on the BBC website........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54893939

Assuming that NSC is a given, have you any to share? SNAFU is a good one, originates from the RAF I believe, I am sure that someone ITK will enlighten me.....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Acrimony?

Anyway, my favourite was Commercial Union having a training course desgned for the whole of the UK, and qualified staff assigned to travel where needed.

These were Commercial Union National Trainers.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
some years ago I worked for whats left of Bedford trucks, primarily catering to the service needs of the MoD via a PDS contract, working with GSV in Andover reverse engineering and supplying obolete componentry, writing AESP's obtaining codification. Most meetings were conducted using acronyms, very few normal words were used, it was like learning a foreign language. Which I've largely now forgotten.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Acronyms cause really odd noises. Your mum, yum!

Am I right?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Used to play in a golf society under the floodlights at the local golf club in UAE...Golfers Of Night Abu Dhabi

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That long since gone bust computer company TINY whose mantra for customer service was Tough It's Now Yours

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
For more years than most of us have been alive I thought ‘NSC’ stood for Nerd-like Sad C***s in homage to the men children who waste their lives on here...only to be told last month it’s actually North Stand Chat!

Mega doh!

:ffsparr:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
SNAFU originated in the US Marine corp during WWII.

From my nautical days. DSM SMR - Don’t See Me, See My Relief.
RDP - Run Down Period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
5BF91C71-1EB7-4EA6-91D5-C6E761BC0FF3.jpeg

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I used to work in software development. We built a program to be used by a hospital liver unit dealing with Hepatitis. Liver Unit System for Hepatitis

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Cambridge University netball team.

True story - back in 1992, when John Major's Government allowed polytechnics to become universities, Newcastle Poly was deciding on a new name. but obviously, there was already a Newcastle Uni.

Some management big-wig suggested the Central University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, until someone realised that 100s of students might walk round Newcastle wearing t-shirts or sweat-shirts emblazoned with the slogan 'I love C***' - hence Northumbria University instead. :lolol:

DILIGAF was one we used. Does It Look Like I Give A F***

FIBOB - Falkland Islands, Bag of Bollocks
STAB - Stupid TA ******* (they were also known as the SAS -Saturdays and Sundays)

Our American cousins were SPAMs - Spastic Plastic American Meathead

They are many and varied.

We also had a different meaning for REMF - Rear Echelon Mother Fu****

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here