Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Favourite acronymy

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
...Prompted by this entertaining and informative piece on the BBC website........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54893939

Assuming that NSC is a given, have you any to share? SNAFU is a good one, originates from the RAF I believe, I am sure that someone ITK will enlighten me.....

Ex RAF here, not sure if it originated in the RAF, but its certainly military, we used it all the time. Also FUBAR - F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition

Another one that I came across from reporting faults to IT was one written on a job completed form -PICNIC, which turns out to be Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I am currently working on a project to name a new masterplanned district in Kazakhstan.

One of the name options on the table is Nur-Sultan Central, which we're abbreviating to NSC in the brand identity.

If I can get this approved by the President of Kazakhstan, so that part of that country becomes NSC, my life's work is done.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am currently working on a project to name a new masterplanned district in Kazakhstan.

One of the name options on the table is Nur-Sultan Central, which we're abbreviating to NSC in the brand identity.

If I can get this approved by the President of Kazakhstan, so that part of that country becomes NSC, my life's work is done.

For God sake make sure no one suggests Peripheral no one needs NSP

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
While working in IT for East Sussex County Council many moons ago, I developed software to monitor the reduction (or tailing off) in traffic accidents after road improvements that had been recommended by the police force. The ESCC naming convention was to use three pairs of initials - the first for the department (Police), the second for the program suite (Traffic Accidents) and the third to indicate function (tailing off analysis). Hence my program was named POTATO.

PS: Also from another veteran of the IT Helpdesk, a second vote for PICNIC (problem in chair, not in computer)

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
From my military days, REME Toyal engineers minus education, Naafi, no ambition a f@*$ all interest, and from motorsport my favourite SSDD , same shit different day.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Another one that I came across from reporting faults to IT was one written on a job completed form -PICNIC, which turns out to be Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Very similar to that, but PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

I use SNAFU a fair bit, and also SOL when around younger ears...Shit Outta Luck.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
20 odd years ago when I used to go on boys only, alcohol fuelled ski trips, one of the guys always used to create ski tour t-shirts. Usually pretty rubbish until in the year 2000 he came up with

DOGSBOL 2000

Dodgy Old Geezers Skiing Badly On Lager

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Used to play in a golf society under the floodlights at the local golf club in UAE...Golfers Of Night Abu Dhabi

For a " game played by men, with small balls " that seems entirely appropriate !

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
PICNIC from my tech support days or FUBAR for general use.

Sometimes extended to FUBAR BUNDY

F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition But Unfortunately Not Dead Yet

NSC isn't even an acronym, unless people pronounce it "Nisk".

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The training dept acronym for members of our workforce that were resistant to change: Won’t Alter Need Kicking Every Ruddy Second - maybe also a collective noun.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I work in MH both in PP & for an EAP, assessing people for L-T, BFT & EMDR, F2F, TC or VOIP. A PD, a history of DV, CSA or similar, OCD, SI or D&A dependence will preclude a referral. Might send them back to the GP where they'll just be offered ADs or CBT on a very long WL. It's tough remembering all the TLAs.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
SLIB = Second Leave Is Best
HTHSPCHOOTROTDCOTUDCASDAHANBCDS3CY = ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here