Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Christmas COVID rules fresh from the horses' mouths

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People will do what they want regardless of what the government say, it’s as simple as that. The government live in a dream world where they think that this faux ‘rule’ gives them some power but in reality it simply doesn’t. How do they police it exactly? So I’ve been to 3 family members houses to deliver presents today, how would they know that unless they have 24hr surveillance?

By the way I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s utterly delusional of them to think this rule makes any difference, is anyone honestly going to tell me this rule would change their plans one way or another?

Sadly agree. It's against the law to murder someone but thousands ignore that too. I'm Team Safe but there's plenty in Team :dunce: In summary, people must die and have always done so because of the selfish actions of others. Unfair, but then when was life anything but?!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Must admit we have too .

Didn’t first one but this one done our own thing which has worked quite well

The ironic thing is that my Dad, as an ex-bank manager, is an absolute stickler for the rules. First lockdown my parents observed - I even did their shopping for them as they're vulnerable. For this lockdown he said "I damned if I'm going to let a two bit government tell me what I can or can't do with my family in my twilight years.". So they've been round a few times.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Utter lunacy. I’m intrigued to know the science behind this decision. I dread to think what the death toll just after Xmas will be.

From day one in every democracy, it’s always been unashamedly NOT just based on science.

If it was, Germans and Brits would’ve been kept locked up indoors as in Wuhan, food delivered by the army, until vaccines have been administered to all.

It’s openly been a balance of epidemiology, and:
1. What’s sustainable for a free thinking and free acting population? Will law/rules actually be taken seriously? Brits haven’t the compliant nature of the Chinese, Taiwanese and Koreans to 100% abide by laws for as long as it takes.
2. Mental health, the oppression of not seeing family and friends, from seeing all favourite activities closed.
3. Business and livelihoods. Economies would go bankrupt, countless businesses would sink without a trace, lifetime work destroyed, with an endless lockdown.

No doubt sadly there will be a further spike in cases and deaths, but there are many people including on NSC who said they were going to ignore the laws anyway.

To me this is a decent compromise. All four nations are in agreement.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From day one in every democracy, it’s always been unashamedly NOT just based on science.

If it was, Germans and Brits would’ve been kept locked up indoors as in Wuhan, food delivered by the army, until vaccines have been administered to all.

1. What’s sustainable for a free thinking and free acting population? Will law/rules actually be taken seriously? Brits haven’t the compliant nature of the Chinese, Taiwanese and Koreans to 100% abide by laws for as long as it takes.
2. Mental health, the oppression of not seeing family and friends, from seeing all favourite activities closed.
3. Business and livelihoods. Economies would go bankrupt, countless businesses would sink without a trace, lifetime work destroyed, with an endless lockdown.

No doubt sadly there will be a further spike in cases and deaths, but there are many people including on NSC who said they were going to ignore the laws anyway.

Spot on. Great post.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Christmas covid rules = a veneer of authority whilst people who want to do whatever they want to do do whatever they want to do.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
People will do what they want regardless of what the government say, it’s as simple as that. The government live in a dream world where they think that this faux ‘rule’ gives them some power but in reality it simply doesn’t. How do they police it exactly? So I’ve been to 3 family members houses to deliver presents today, how would they know that unless they have 24hr surveillance?

By the way I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s utterly delusional of them to think this rule makes any difference, is anyone honestly going to tell me this rule would change their plans one way or another?
I don't think the government believe everyone will obey the rules, or that it can be policed... I think they are saying what they think a government should be heard to say.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Must be a first

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Damned if they do, and damned if they don't once again IMO.

The mental health and, horribly, suicide outfall of inflicting isolation over Christmas could be pretty considerable.

Give a strict set of no-mixing measures and a load of people go "**** that - it's Christmas and I'll do what I want", or loosen things with stated constraints, and hope most people follow the spirit.

And, of course, people don't have to go to the very limit of what is permitted. Would you rather see your loved ones this Christmas or the next 10 Christmases?

Totally agree

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not going to bother with Christmas at all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Many people will interpret this as 'We can mix with three other households' - and one of those households might be an elderly vulnerable relative who's shielded for months and generally followed all the rules, but who is delighted to be allowed to meet the kids and grandchildren for the first time in months. Wonder how many of those people who have lived in isolation, or near isolation, for months will then die of Covid brought in from one of the other two households in their relatives' bubble.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Many people will interpret this as 'We can mix with three other households' - and one of those households might be an elderly vulnerable relative who's shielded for months and generally followed all the rules, but who is delighted to be allowed to meet the kids and grandchildren for the first time in months. Wonder how many of those people who have lived in isolation, or near isolation, for months will then die of Covid brought in from one of the other two households in their relatives' bubble.
That will depend how much people are thinking of this and are preparing for the visit by avoid interaction and time with others for a while beforehand.

Why do we think that people wouldn't be careful? The whole point of the rules we have now are to provide a framework so that people can take care and this gives those who have taken care a legal way to meet others.

Yes, there will be those who won't follow the rules - in different ways, in spirit, to the letter, whatever - but if people won't follow the rules what's the purpose in arguing for them to be different? Surely the reason is because in general people are following the rules, reasonably closely.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That will depend how much people are thinking of this and are preparing for the visit by avoid interaction and time with others for a while beforehand.

Why do we think that people wouldn't be careful? The whole point of the rules we have now are to provide a framework so that people can take care and this gives those who have taken care a legal way to meet others.

Yes, there will be those who won't follow the rules - in different ways, in spirit, to the letter, whatever - but if people won't follow the rules what's the purpose in arguing for them to be different? Surely the reason is because in general people are following the rules, reasonably closely.
Are they? And will they when restrictions are relaxed?

Some will. I predict many won't.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Indeed. It's not very clear ( how unusual ! ). We have a cottage booked in Devon for 13 days - only three of us and all from the same household - no idea if we can go or not.

We have an Air BnB booked. The statement mentions only being at home. I wonder whether our booking will be cancelled.

I think if it's just one household, it will depend what tier you are in. After all, one household could go on holiday before lockdown 2. Meeting another household is less clear. Me and my wife have booked a cottage with one friend who lives alone. We may, or may not, be allowed to go - we'll see. But if we do, it means we can't also have a meal with my father-in-law (unless he comes with us.....).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here