Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Cricket,everything stops for tea.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I can see both sides of the argument. On the off-side there's lots of different dietary requirements and the lack of people willing to do it is a problem, but on the on-side some places do an absolutely banging spread and its the reason some fixtures get fulfilled at all.

As a tailender/bowler, I just hoped I could bowl first, gorge myself silly on the teas and have a sit-down after...hoping our batting order doesn't collapse.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
And as a wicket keeper I always preferred to field first. All that bending down with a belly full of food and tea was always a bit uncomfortable and led to split trousers on more than one occasion

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Brenda Beer, Will's nan, used to be the queen of teas at Horsham.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did anyone on here ever play at Bodle St Green near Herstmonceux?

My team first played them on a rainy day and there were no changing rooms. Ground in the gardens of a large stately home. Changed in the cars. On and off all day, so to speak. We thought that the opening bowler "serviced" the skipper's daughter in one of the breaks. Tea consisted of brick roasted chickens, bread, chillies, cheese and a barrel (or maybe more) of scrumpy. Their best bowler ran up in wellies.

Easily the best tea in East Sussex and a game I will never forget. Left thoroughly pissed as I wasn't driving.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interesting issue that divides opinion fairly equally. (The Sussex Cricket League might have learned something in recent years about the perils of deciding such matters on the basis of a simple majority...).

For me, the only plausible reason for not providing a traditional cricket tea as a host club is to do with COVID security. Hopefully that is not going to be a permanent issue and much reduced by next Summer.

What next? A ban on children’s birthday parties?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I had this discussion with someone who foresaw this happening in the future during the one Group A8 SCL August Cup match I went to in the summer. The only people who were missing teas were the umpires, all the players were more than happy to pay reduced match fees to forego a tea in the games they had and nobody was missing the hassle of preparing them.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I had this discussion with someone who foresaw this happening in the future during the one Group A8 SCL August Cup match I went to in the summer. The only people who were missing teas were the umpires, all the players were more than happy to pay reduced match fees to forego a tea in the games they had and nobody was missing the hassle of preparing them.

Progress is not always a good thing.

Just another small erosion of positive social behaviour.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I’d go for being umpire eat as much as u like ..lunch and tea

I've only ever played one game where there was a lunch and tea. It was very enjoyable, I batted before lunch, took part in a century stand (I scored 15 of them!) and put my feet up for most of the afternoon.

Wish more games were like that

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Progress is not always a good thing.

Just another small erosion of positive social behaviour.

I agree, a bit of effort is no bad thing. I play in the Sussex Squash leagues and team matches always have a meal after. Usually a simple chilli or similar. Very social to have a chat with another club after a match. However, there is a slow erosion of trying not to do it which really does takeaway that social aspect of grassroots sport.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Did anyone on here ever play at Bodle St Green near Herstmonceux?

My team first played them on a rainy day and there were no changing rooms. Ground in the gardens of a large stately home. Changed in the cars. On and off all day, so to speak. We thought that the opening bowler "serviced" the skipper's daughter in one of the breaks. Tea consisted of brick roasted chickens, bread, chillies, cheese and a barrel (or maybe more) of scrumpy. Their best bowler ran up in wellies.

Easily the best tea in East Sussex and a game I will never forget. Left thoroughly pissed as I wasn't driving.

Bodle Street still very much going. Usually a curry for tea, prepared by the owner of the grounds wife. I understand he built the ground as his sons were keen cricketers. Still no changing rooms or loos but plenty of bushes. A different but enjoyable day out. The pitch could do with some work though, last season I bowled a ball which pitched and then rolled along the ground, bowling the batsman. I said " sorry mate, not a lot you could do there." He replied, I wouldn't mind, but I prepared the pitch!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here