Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix : The Queens Gambit

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We watched earlier in the month, after recommendations on here, over 3 evenings, very good and you don't need to know anything about how to play chess.

One thing that always interest me on these sort of things is where they get all of the 60's cars and other gadgets from, there must be massive warehouses somewhere.

Who woke up Saint Elvis, taken 19 months to post, shame it wasn't worth waiting for

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I spent the first 15 years after learning chess thinking it was The Roy Lopez opening and he was some American geezer. Apparently it dates back to 1560.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Not sure what all the fuss is about personally. It's not bad but not brilliant imo. Visually it's very good. The final scenes were like Rocky beating Ivan Drago... but in chess.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Benny is loosely based on Bobby Fischer I read.... I can’t see it personally as Fischer was massively funded by the USA to beat the Russians at their own game.....I don’t remember the Deep Blue reference.
I must be getting old. I heard it somewhere in the last week or so and presumed it was in the show. Might rewatch the last 3 episodes to find out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Me and Mrs Mellotron were hooked from first to last episode. Did it all in about 4-5 days.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Especially the two gender fluid ones you would need to be Queens.

In my experience it’s easy to find the queens in certain parks .I frequent. ................... it’s drawing out a Bishop I struggle with nowadays.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I suggested watching The Queens Gambit on Netflix to the wife. After it had been on for a few mins she turned to me and said "is that princess Margaret"? Wrong show.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure why they killed her off in that way , how on earth would a crocodile manage to get up to the 12th floor .

Spoiler alert........... it disguised itself as a bag and shoes.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
In my experience it’s easy to find the queens in certain parks .I frequent. ................... it’s drawing out a Bishop I struggle with nowadays.

Normally hanging out with actresses, I believe.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I did enjoy it, the only slight irritation (although I get it for dramatic purposes) being the speed with they moved, and the glances across the board.

Having played for many years at a high level, I can assure you that smoke filled rooms with ticking clocks would witness 15 minutes + per move, and no smug 'gotcha now numbnuts' grins across the 64 squares.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, I found that out the other day. Lost a huge amount of weight.

Interesting bit in his wiki page:

'In October 2009, it was announced that [Harry] Melling had lost so much weight since his last appearance in Harry Potter that he was now "unrecognisable". His role as Dudley Dursley was almost recast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, but Melling reprised the role by wearing a fat suit.'

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Having played for many years at a high level, I can assure you that smoke filled rooms with ticking clocks would witness 15 minutes + per move, and no smug 'gotcha now numbnuts' grins across the 64 squares.

What level were you playing at?

And do you still play?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here