Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix : The Queens Gambit

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Apologies if there has already been a thread on this series although I checked and didn’t see one.

Firstly what an astonishing seven part series this is. It’s a good solid starter but picks up to form the best tv I’ve seen this year.
Anya Taylor Joy is astonishing as Beth Harmon a chess prodigy from the late 60’s emerging in a male dominated world. Even if you don’t have the slightest interest in Chess - my wife didn’t - it still keeps you pinned ( see what I did there chess fans) throughout.

Highly recommended.

Touches of Tom Ford but so much more in this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Keep up at the back.

The Netflix fred has been full of this for a couple of months. :rolleyes:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Keep up at the back.

The Netflix fred has been full of this for a couple of months. :rolleyes:

Sorry Stat. I don’t read every thread on here..... but I’m off there now. I knew there would be a 60,000 poster lurking for my error...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So, it's on Netflix but has nothing to do with 'The Crown' then?

What’s The Crown then Jim ? And dont say about 5 Bob or 25p in new money.

Anyway it’s brilliant......The Queens Gambit I mean

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Apologies if there has already been a thread on this series although I checked and didn’t see one.

Firstly what an astonishing seven part series this is. It’s a good solid starter but picks up to form the best tv I’ve seen this year.
Anya Taylor Joy is astonishing as Beth Harmon a chess prodigy from the late 60’s emerging in a male dominated world. Even if you don’t have the slightest interest in Chess - my wife didn’t - it still keeps you pinned ( see what I did there chess fans) throughout.

Highly recommended.

Only watched by fools, mate.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Highly recommended.

I'm 3 episodes into this at the moment and loving it.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Queen.jpg

I also enjoyed the series. Will there be a second? I presume so, given how successful it has been already.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Was The Queens Gambit based on any true events?
They mentioned a few chess players but I do distinctly recall them mentioning the Deep Blue, a chess playing computer, and yet this was not around until 1985/89

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They mentioned a few chess players but I do distinctly recall them mentioning the Deep Blue, a chess playing computer, and yet this was not around until 1985/89

No - it’s based on a novel. There are some vague similarities between the protagonist and Judit Polgar, and some of the male players have some vague similarities with real players, most especially Fischer. The historical players they refer to are however real: Capablanca, Alekhine etc. Impressively, all the games that she plays are real games from a variety of players including one in which the post-game analysis by another player shows a variation that Kasparov (a consultant to the series) found which is better than the original game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Benny is loosely based on Bobby Fischer I read.... I can’t see it personally as Fischer was massively funded by the USA to beat the Russians at their own game.....I don’t remember the Deep Blue reference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here