Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some specific Covid advice for those who work in Hospitality

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
Can I ask a very specific question - and realise people may not be able to answer

I am in the process of running an comedy night, it is Covid secure in terms of social distancing and we have groups of bubbles + small work offices in groups less than 6 attending - masks will be worn while performances are running and we will encourage no social interaction with other tables

If Brighton goes into tier 3 it will be cancelled but if it is in tier 2 am I reading the guidance right that the work bubbles would not be allowed and any ticket holders would have to order food as well to be able to be served alcohol on the night? We have some who have pre-ordered food already which I am not sure if it covers the whole night and everyone there or if only those who eat are allowed?

Similarly if we serve the food prior to the show are they allowed to drink during the show or is that not allowed and it has to be only while eating?

These guidelines are such a constant headache!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
We were previously in tier 1 and I hope we go back to that. Tier 1 pubs etc. don't have to sell food.

If we are in tier 1, then up to 6 from other households. Tier 2 is 1 person from another household outside, I believe. Could be wrong though.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
This may help.

Tier 1 seems most likely in the south east (other than a bit of Kent) and the south west, as case numbers are so low.

Tier 2 means you can only go to a pub / restaurant etc. with people from your household / support bubble. (People who live alone can form a support bubble with another household.)

Tier 2 means alcohol can be served with a substantial meal. But I guess there will be drinking before and after the meal and I’m not sure that can be controlled.

0c9433cf6d9a6f979842fd5af82684d3.jpg

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
This is thorough.

4ced9bac4a6c8c8dd1034e3ea9a766a0.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Serving a substantial meal is the key.

Working in the industry, have you seen any pubs alter their business to genuinely become gastropubs this year?

No is the simple answer. Issue for many is that we know early in the week it is quiet therefore do you have staff on a flexible furlough and bring them in for just x amount of the time. To make it worthwhile it would have to be busy as it’s only able to serve alcohol when food is consumed. You can’t eat early and remain drinking for the rest of the evening. The other issue then is the stopping and starting of the bar/kitchen with fresh stock and wastage.

There’ll be some in busy areas it worth it but for many and likely the most it’s just not viable especially rural pubs. Mind you I can see some flaunting the rules in out lying locations.

My furlough has been extended but with flexibility should I need to visit an outlet/brewery. As I normally visit so many within a week and all along the south I’m not only risking myself but am potentially a super spreader. With that in mind I’m better off perfecting my mince pie baking :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Serving a substantial meal is the key.

Working in the industry, have you seen any pubs alter their business to genuinely become gastropubs this year?

Still can’t mix with another household indoors in T2 even with a meal so not sure this helps the OP have arranged tables of work colleagues - well in theory anyway. Virtually impossible to police - we were asked when we ate out last week but not sure how they would actually check, and I would be very surprised if all of the few other tables in use were ‘single household’ to be honest.

It’s down to the individual not to break the rules..........

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still can’t mix with another household indoors in T2 even with a meal so not sure this helps the OP have arranged tables of work colleagues - well in theory anyway. Virtually impossible to police - we were asked when we ate out last week but not sure how they would actually check, and I would be very surprised if all of the few other tables in use were ‘single household’ to be honest.

It’s down to the individual not to break the rules..........

The owner of several upmarket restaurants was on LBC an hour ago. He admitted that restauranteurs and guests had generally and deliberately not policed the bubbles and number of households laws since July. He seemed a reasonable person, certainly not a CV19 denier. Lamenting the fact that Kay Burley got caught, as “unlucky”.

When the pandemic is assessed once the dust is settled, hopefully research eg from track n trace data, will show how exactly flare ups started.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The owner of several upmarket restaurants was on LBC an hour ago. He admitted that restauranteurs and guests had generally and deliberately not policed the bubbles and number of households laws since July. He seemed a reasonable person, certainly not a CV19 denier. Lamenting the fact that Kay Burley got caught, as “unlucky”.

When the pandemic is assessed once the dust is settled, hopefully research eg from track n trace data, will show how exactly flare ups started.

I don’t blame him.......no way he’d realistically be able to even if he wanted to.

Thing is though, any of us breaching the rules (and I suspect most of us have done so - if only marginally- at some point) are potentially contributing to the rise in cases/hospitalisations/deaths when we could avoid doing so.......I’m sure plenty moaning about going into Tier 3 will be those that have ‘only gone out for a meal’ or similar.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t blame him.......no way he’d realistically be able to even if he wanted to.

Thing is though, any of us breaching the rules (and I suspect most of us have done so - if only marginally- at some point) are potentially contributing to the rise in cases/hospitalisations/deaths when we could avoid doing so.......I’m sure plenty moaning about going into Tier 3 will be those that have ‘only gone out for a meal’ or similar.

Since March’s Lockdown, have always agreed with your pandemic posts :smile:

The chief health official and mayor of Merthyr gave revealing interviews last week. Not rocket science, but they pinpointed the main cause of their horrendous second wave ..... large gatherings in households. Behind closed doors, extended families and mates illegally giving a proverbial two fingers to CV19 and society’s attempts to control it. They did this through track and trace, plus tracing back the interconnections of those testing positive.

Impossible to police, without going down the tough route employed by the Italians and Spanish from March to June during their lockdowns, aggressively enforced by army, police and Guardia Civil.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Since March’s Lockdown, have always agreed with your pandemic posts :smile:

The chief health official and mayor of Merthyr gave revealing interviews last week. Not rocket science, but they pinpointed the main cause of their horrendous second wave ..... large gatherings in households. Behind closed doors, extended families and mates illegally giving a proverbial two fingers to CV19 and society’s attempts to control it. They did this through track and trace, plus tracing back the interconnections of those testing positive.

Impossible to police, without going down the tough route employed by the Italians and Spanish from March to June during their lockdowns, aggressively enforced by army, police and Guardia Civil.

It’s been interesting chatting with my (now former) team-mates elsewhere. As you say, in Spain it’s been rigorously enforced with strong policing and heavy fines......if you’re out during lockdown, you’ll be stopped and asked where you’re going, ID checked etc. In Dubai at one point you needed to carry your approval (any time you left the house required government approval) with you - with a limit on the number you could apply for too....and as for China [emoji33][emoji33]

It’s very easy to blame the government, SAGE etc but I suspect the vast majority of spikes are being caused by people simply taking the piss. Quite depressing really - another 3-4 months of acting ‘sensibly’ shouldn’t be beyond the majority

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s been interesting chatting with my (now former) team-mates elsewhere. As you say, in Spain it’s been rigorously enforced with strong policing and heavy fines......if you’re out during lockdown, you’ll be stopped and asked where you’re going, ID checked etc. In Dubai at one point you needed to carry your approval (any time you left the house required government approval) with you - with a limit on the number you could apply for too....and as for China [emoji33][emoji33]

It’s very easy to blame the government, SAGE etc but I suspect the vast majority of spikes are being caused by people simply taking the piss. Quite depressing really - another 3-4 months of acting ‘sensibly’ shouldn’t be beyond the majority

If, god forbid, we saw another pandemic, I’d rather the government of any persuasion took certain laws very seriously eg face masks worn properly in supermarkets unless carrying a legit exemption, enforced fines for illegal gatherings no excuses. Shops generally don’t want the aggro and threats of violence, so perhaps large supermarkets should be required to subcontract proper security. So much piss taking going on, we saw staff abused at Aldi simply for asking a couple in their 30’s to wear masks.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If, god forbid, we saw another pandemic, I’d rather the government of any persuasion took certain laws very seriously eg face masks worn properly in supermarkets unless carrying a legit exemption, enforced fines for illegal gatherings no excuses. Shops generally don’t want the aggro and threats of violence, so perhaps large supermarkets should be required to subcontract proper security. So much piss taking going on, we saw staff abused at Aldi simply for asking a couple in their 30’s to wear masks.

Abusing supermarket staff is not on. Get the security in with woodchippers. Once a few wrongdoers get dropped in, everyone will behave,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here