Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should MPs get a pay rise?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not a good look to give out pay rises at the minute so, no. However, I personally believe MP's salaries should be much higher. Why? Well 81K - whilst being a very good wage for most of us - is pretty low in comparison to what people with talent can earn elsewhere. As a consequence, we've got the MP's we deserve.

If we paid market rate, we might just get some talented MP's rather than the Tory chancers and Labour rabble rousers that infest the HOC at the moment. The bar has sunk so low, I listened to a Tory MP on the radio the other day and thought he was one of the better ones I'd heard lately. It was only at the end of the interview I found out it was Iain Duncan Smith.

I agree we should pay the market rate, but ban MPs from holding directorships, journalism, and talking assignments until after they’ve retired from Parliament. There are too many financial vested interests for MPs to vote even along party lines, let alone independently to the country’s benefit.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
No. The significant majority have given their vote by proxy to their Party's whip and have given up any pretence of challenging the Government. Most have been working from home throughout. If they had a conscience they'd be offering some money back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree we should pay the market rate, but ban MPs from holding directorships, journalism, and talking assignments until after they’ve retired from Parliament. There are too many financial vested interests for MPs to vote even along party lines, let alone independently to the country’s benefit.

This - remove all potential conflicts of interest and pay a market rate.......

As regards the proposed increase, Boris also says no.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55048024

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Don't disagree with a word of that but....

When Ernest Marples was minister of transport he shifted all his shares in Marples Ridgeway (who built roads) to his wife to avoid any conflict of interest. I can't see today's lot behaving any differently.

As far as MP's pay goes, they should be aligned to a range of public service professions (nurses, police, teachers etc) and get a rise that's the average of them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

When Ernest Marples was minister of transport he shifted all his shares in Marples Ridgeway (who built roads) to his wife to avoid any conflict of interest. I can't see today's lot behaving any differently.

As far as MP's pay goes, they should be aligned to a range of public service professions (nurses, police, teachers etc) and get a rise that's the average of them.

There are 000s of head teachers (in state schools) being paid more than MPs already, and your average Chief Super will be taking home similar to an MP. Bearing in mind you’re potentially going to be turfed out after 5 years, MP salary isn’t unreasonable IMO

Pretty easy to have conflicts policies that include ‘connected persons’ such as spouses (my last 4 firms all did)

Problem is wanting to be an MP should immediately rule anyone out from being one........[emoji23][emoji23]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Corruption will always find a way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only way to remove conflicts of interest is to only allow PPE graduates, who've not been around long enough to have any.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Agreed. 3-400 MP's tops . . . . £200k. Nothing more. Dont like it, don't do it, no other involvements oryou're blacklisted for life. Either you want to make a difference and help or you're a useless career parasite . . . . We have 500 of them already.

They're vastly over rewarded as it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here