Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should MPs get a pay rise?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, they shouldn't, not unless they vote through pay rises for public sector workers (and tough as it may seem, that would be the wrong thing to do in the current circumstances - coronavirus has taken a huge chunk out of the nation's resources; nobody should be expecting a pay rise for a while - all that money spent has got to be paid back).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No, the Government should be happy that their pay doesn't have any performance related element, otherwise they would be seeing a big reduction

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's not a good look to give out pay rises at the minute so, no. However, I personally believe MP's salaries should be much higher. Why? Well 81K - whilst being a very good wage for most of us - is pretty low in comparison to what people with talent can earn elsewhere. As a consequence, we've got the MP's we deserve.

If we paid market rate, we might just get some talented MP's rather than the Tory chancers and Labour rabble rousers that infest the HOC at the moment. The bar has sunk so low, I listened to a Tory MP on the radio the other day and thought he was one of the better ones I'd heard lately. It was only at the end of the interview I found out it was Iain Duncan Smith.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
They have been granted a £3200 a year pay rise by the “independent” reviewer.
A bit like the independent reviewer who confirmed Priti Patel broke ministerial standards and bullied staff.

One of those nights independent reviews was totally ignored while the other one will be something - and I win the Johnson-Qote-Bingo here - “we can’t do anything about/is beyond our power to change”

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
We have something like 5 times the legislators that the US of A has who have maybe 5 times the population. How can that be?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not a good look to give out pay rises at the minute so, no. However, I personally believe MP's salaries should be much higher. Why? Well 81K - whilst being a very good wage for most of us - is pretty low in comparison to what people with talent can earn elsewhere. As a consequence, we've got the MP's we deserve.

If we paid market rate, we might just get some talented MP's rather than the Tory chancers and Labour rabble rousers that infest the HOC at the moment. The bar has sunk so low, I listened to a Tory MP on the radio the other day and thought he was one of the better ones I'd heard lately. It was only at the end of the interview I found out it was Iain Duncan Smith.

I don't think even with a higher salary you would see an improvement in the quality of candidates.

With regard to pay rise, ludicrous on the basis Sunak has stated there will be a public sector pay freeze.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No they damn well should absolutely bloody well not whilst the whole of the civil service has been told to expect a freeze and half the country are counting themselves lucky if they have a job at all. Insult. Its not even just whether they deserve one or not, on principle it shouldnt be a question this year

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no. they may be set to receive something the group responsible for pay decided they should get and vote through last year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We have something like 5 times the legislators that the US of A has who have maybe 5 times the population. How can that be?

different systems of government? the US being federal with a lot more legislation going on at state level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here