Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Build your Albion 5-a-side team.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Build your Albion 5-a-side team.

Imagine each player in their prime. Simply pick one player from each pot to form your team. Who are you leaving out?

And no, I am not getting into who I have left out altogether - this is the players you have ready and fit to select from

Pot A

Graham Moseley
Michel Kuipers
Matty Ryan

Pot B

Bruno
Tariq Lamptey
Inigo Calderon

Pot C

Adam El Abd
Lewis Dunk
Mark Lawrenson

Pot D

Brian Horton
Vincente
Gary Hart

Pot E

Peter Ward
Bobby Zamora
Glenn Murray

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I like this. Some awful choices to make in there... I've gone with:

Kuipers - Brilliant shot stopper and his much maligned kicking is irrelevant in 5-a-side
Bruno - This one is like leaving out a loved one but Bruno's touch and vision in tight spaces edge him over his rivals
Dunk - Lawrenson was a better overall defender but Dunk's single-mindedness in doing the unglamorous role of staying at the back to prevent 1-on-1s would be critical. You can't have everyone bombing forward
Vicente
Ward - Smaller wider goals, less need for hold up play means Ward is better suited to 5-a-side for me. Plus with him and Vicente buzzing around up front, defenders would have nightmares for years after

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Kuipers - Brilliant shot stopper and his much maligned kicking is irrelevant in 5-a-side
Bruno - This one is like leaving out a loved one but Bruno's touch and vision in tight spaces edge him over his rivals
Dunk - Lawrenson was a better overall defender but Dunk's single-mindedness in doing the unglamorous role of staying at the back to prevent 1-on-1s would be critical. You can't have everyone bombing forward
Vicente
Ward - Smaller wider goals, less need for hold up play means Ward is better suited to 5-a-side for me. Plus with him and Vicente buzzing around up front, defenders would have nightmares for years after

It's heart over head for me in some of my category choices.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Vicente
This would be my choice too, and for the same reasons.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On actual suitability for 5-a-side

Ryan for his reflexes
Bruno for his technique
Lawrenson who would just edge Dunk as an all round player
Vicente for trickery and end to end dribbling
Ward for goals and because he's an absolutely smashing feller

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Based on the fact I want to win...

Matty Ryan - I want a keep that is fast in the area and I'm putting Ryan's speed above everything else.
Tariq Lamptey - Likewise, the pace of this guy can not be overlooked.
Adam El Abd - my bruiser - nothing will pass or he'll clatter it.
Vincente - the creativity, the flicks, the tricks - the winner
Peter Ward - again the most mobile and combative forward - tiger like.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Vicente

Almost exactly this.

Speed and mobility being of the essence however, l think Tariq Lamptey is a must, sorry El Kapitan your race is run.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ryan. Small goals. Say no more
Bruno. Arguably the third best player we have ever had.
Lawrenson. The second best player we have ever had.
Vicente. The best (never heard of this Vincente fellow)
Ward. Is his prime, the best natural goal scorer we have ever had.

Unbeatable

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Matty Ryan - Decent with his feet and the man would be a GIANT in those little 5-aside goals.

Bruno - Bald, beard, brilliant.

Lewis Dunk - I'm too young to have seen Lawro as anything other than a TV misery so I'll go for the better of the two Brighton-born boys.

Vicente (minus the rogue 'n' added by the OP) - The best player I have ever seen in the stripes. Plus I own his old training shirt (barely worn).

Bobby Zamora - Again, I'll leave Wardy for the oldies. Murray wouldn't want to play 5-aside anyway so it's Zamora, the better of the two.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Depending on size of pitch (assuming fairly small), Bruno would be a far more valuable 5-a-side player than Lamptey.

IMO, like.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Posted mine without looking at others and pleased to see a few have the same.

Not sure why anyone would pick Kuipers because in 5 as side you don't have long and he takes too long to get the ball back in play. The amount of hair I pulled out when we were losing and heading for the last few minutes and he still wouldn't rush!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wouldn't it be great if they brought back the Evening Standard London (and south coast) 5 a side tournament!!
Only problem is clubs wouldn't release their players!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here