Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ashley Neal

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Is this the famous Ashley Neal that wore the blue and white stripes for us ??

[video]https://www.youtube.com/c/ashleynealdrivingins[/video]

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Yes.
For me the worst player ever to appear in our colours.

Proof that nepotism might well figure in football!

That said, Good on him to have forged a decent career outside of the game.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Yes.

And anyone that argues otherwise wasn’t there at Rochdale late in 1996 when we lost 3-0 and Neal did a terrible impression of a centre back. Nepotism was definitely in play as Case had no other reason to play him.
Anyway, good luck to him now.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes.

Agreed, at first I thought he was going to be wheely good, but he flattered to deceive and in the end we had to do a three point turn and tell him he had failed.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And anyone that argues otherwise wasn’t there at Rochdale late in 1996 when we lost 3-0 and Neal did a terrible impression of a centre back. Nepotism was definitely in play as Case had no other reason to play him.

You have beaten me to it,and were you one of the many waiting for Bellotti to appear outside the main entrance after the game ?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

I was there. A pitiful impersonation of a footballer. Despite plenty of competition, Neal comfortably cements his place into any worst Albion XI for me. A central defence trio of Neal, Colin Hawkins and Glen Thomas attempting to play Potterball. Let that sink in for a moment.

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
i was there. A pitiful impersonation of a footballer. Despite plenty of competition, neal comfortably cements his place into any worst albion xi for me. A central defence trio of neal, colin hawkins and glen thomas attempting to play potterball. Let that sink in for a moment.

No please no - what a nightmare

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Err aren't you forgetting Mark Farrington? Those two and Michael Mahoney Johnson make up my triumvirate of shite!

Mickey it’s like an election in Russia, only one candidate and therefore one winner, the nepotism shadow was so prevalent it did cross our minds at GE that Mrs Neal and Jimmy Case might possibly have taken friendship to the next level 🙈

Thankfully Jimmy shot this scurrilous rumour down, with good grace and humour, at Kerry Mayo’s testimonial game.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The worst player I ever saw for the Albion was Damian Hilton who played as a striker against Barnet. Even worse than Neal but a close run thing.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Err aren't you forgetting Mark Farrington? Those two and Michael Mahoney Johnson make up my triumvirate of shite!

Matter of opinions.
I’d have Farringdon streets ahead in terms of ability. MMJ less so, but Ashley Neal will always stay at the bottom of my pile!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another one to add to the list of Albion footballers with far more talented relatives.

See also Ricardo Gabbiadini, Daniel Webb and Gary Bull.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I think that was the worst performance I have ever seen. It was perishing cold as well.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, hard to believe he was from the loins of probably the most successful domestic English footballer ever.

Football League First Division (8): 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86
Football League Cup (4): 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84
FA Charity Shield (5): 1976, 1977 (shared), 1979, 1980, 1982
European Cup (4): 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1983–84
UEFA Cup (1): 1975–76
UEFA Super Cup (1): 1977

His dad won twice as many medals than he had first team games for professional clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here