Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey - the best Brighton player none of us will see?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We will sell him that much is certain. When hard to say but I'd imagine we'll get 18 months out of him? Rest of this season with the clown Southgate in charge he won't make the euros and I'd assume we'd want more than £50m so most of the big clubs would want to see a sustained run of form before parting with that sort of cash.

Every club bar a very few is a selling club but I'd hope when he goes we get a team transforming amount of money for him...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn't Barnes go under Garcia as we dithered over a contract?

Yes .. and it was reported that Garcia was exceedingly pissed off about it as he didn't want to lose him. How true that was, I don't know but we certainly missed him for the rest of that season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t know how much it is but because of the sell on clause in his contract we might look to try and keep him here.

Didn’t realize there was one. Is it just internet rumour or fact ? When he signed I read a few Chelsea fans talking about a buyback clause but only because they assumed there must be one. There was no need for Tony to agree to any such thing as his contract was nearly up at Chelsea.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We won't sell unless Tariq really wants to go.
Seems a sensible lad who believes in himself.

I'm not sure which teams would be offering terms that would be seriously tempting to him.
I suspect a big increase in salary is on the cards for next season anyway.
He's been at a top 6 club already, so he won't be swayed by the idea of playing for a big club.

Playing for Brighton has given him the game time and exposure he wanted.
He will know he isn't the finished article yet and a second season with us, will be as useful to his career as anyone else at this stage.

I'm pretty sure this is correct.

As for possibly needing to sell to cover losses, if we stay up then enough future revenue is guaranteed to mitigate the effects of losses in a unique set of circumstances. I'm led to believe that Uncle Tony has enough money in solid investments such as property not to have been too adversely affected by any drop in betting income. Relegation would be a different matter, of course.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I reckon we'll get, bare minimum, at least a season out of him here.

The whole point of him leaving Chelsea was that he was far from guaranteed playing time. Talk about throwing yourself back into the fire.

But I, er..., have seen him play live. He's faster in real life than on the telly.

I have seen him play live and he is rapid, I didn't expect him to be so quick considering his size

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Shocking disciplinary record, 6 yellow cards in 17 appearances. He's clearly a psycho.

None of the big boys would want such wanton thuggery anywhere near their pampered show ponies.

:moo:

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
he looks good for us , given the rest of the squad however if he knocks on the door of the main England team not just under 21 I think we will have him one more season and then gone , better to be a big fish in a little pond then a small fish in a big pond ---- no pun intended !

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Didn’t realize there was one. Is it just internet rumour or fact ? When he signed I read a few Chelsea fans talking about a buyback clause but only because they assumed there must be one. There was no need for Tony to agree to any such thing as his contract was nearly up at Chelsea.

Mentioned in at least one press report at the time:

Potter knows what kind of bargain he’s got on his hands; the south coast club exploited Lamptey's expiring contract at Stamford Bridge to force a £3 million ($4m) deal that includes a future sell-on fee but no buyback clause for Chelsea.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
He seems completely grounded and can see the benefit of staying here for another season, he’s really young and playing every week and given the freedom to roam, move to a big club and 1 bad game and you’re condemned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Shocking disciplinary record, 6 yellow cards in 17 appearances. He's clearly a psycho.

None of the big boys would want such wanton thuggery anywhere near their pampered show ponies.

:moo:

WhHat do you expect for a young player at a club only recently managed by that absolute MENTALIST Chris Hughton?

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
I seem to recall that it was alluded to that Tariq has got a hefty sell on clause as part of the deal with Chelsea. If we only pick up - for example - half of any fee, TB is not going to be in any rush to sell and as he wants to play football, I'd imagine we will get a minimum of a year and probably more.

Whilst we often trot out that we haven't sold a player we do not wish to when these discussions come round, I'll be amazed if that continues with both Lamptey and Ben White. That's before we get to the likes of Alzate and Bissouma who look like players who could develop further and end up in a European team as well as the crop of young players who could be anything. Surely it won't be long before that trend is broken?

No way its 50% sell on fee, 25% at most

I'm glad this thread has clearly made the Government sit up and take note, they've realised we are being denied the opportunity to see Tariq play and can't continue this persecution any longer. He was suspended for the Liverpool game anyway, so our next home game against Southampton was the earliest they could manage.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
What is it about us and lovable right backs? I thought I could never get over Calde, then Bruno came along. And now. Not only is he brilliant, he’s so likeable and fun to watch, and seems like a thoroughly nice man to boot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here