Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey - the best Brighton player none of us will see?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
An idle thought which crossed my mind scrolling through social media during the Villa game where, as previously, much praise was being heaped on young Tariq (as well as him being touted as the next promising signing to be snapped up by every big club you can shake a stick at (and Arsenal)), it got me wondering. Given we aren't allowed to go to football games at the moment, and the likelihood we will be in the immediate future is rather low, will we ever actually see Tariq in a Brighton shirt in the flesh? If he goes in January then the answer would almost certainly be no, as we won't be back in stadiums by the time that window closes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's an interesting thought, but I'd like to think we wouldn't sell him mid-season. Perhaps in June or July, when Chelsea want to pay us 20 times what they sold him to us for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Been saying it for a while.

Although he's not going anywhere in January, but that doesn't mean any of us will see him play, in anger. :down:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I reckon we'll get, bare minimum, at least a season out of him here.

The whole point of him leaving Chelsea was that he was far from guaranteed playing time. Talk about throwing yourself back into the fire.

But I, er..., have seen him play live. He's faster in real life than on the telly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Been saying it for a while.

Although he's not going anywhere in January, but that doesn't mean any of us will see him play, in anger. :down:

You have, indeed. I remember it.

I doubt he's going anywhere. Not good enough for England*. Nothing to see here.

*Southgate's preference for certain clubs sometimes has good consequences - for us.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As I said on another thread. I reckon he'll stay for a while longer. I'm confident I'm going to get to see him

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
An idle thought which crossed my mind scrolling through social media during the Villa game where, as previously, much praise was being heaped on young Tariq (as well as him being touted as the next promising signing to be snapped up by every big club you can shake a stick at (and Arsenal)), it got me wondering. Given we aren't allowed to go to football games at the moment, and the likelihood we will be in the immediate future is rather low, will we ever actually see Tariq in a Brighton shirt in the flesh? If he goes in January then the answer would almost certainly be no, as we won't be back in stadiums by the time that window closes.

Several thousand of us have seen him play for the Albion...

0_GettyImages-1269544540.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You have, indeed. I remember it.

I doubt he's going anywhere. Not good enough for England*. Nothing to see here.

*Southgate's preference for certain clubs sometimes has good consequences - for us.

Although Southgate’s preferences for other clubs may harm our ability to retain or sign players of Tariq’s quality. A poor Euros and Southgate sacking could be to the Albion’s advantage in the long run.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH it's probably for the best.

Tariq up close would probably turn me into the giddiest of giddy aunts.

There just wouldn't be enough pearls for me to clutch as I swoon to the floor.

Then he'd have to put up with the embarrassment of me trying to wrap him up in hat scarf and gloves, shouting at the big boys for tackling him.
Finally licking a hanky and wiping his face before meeting the press.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think there has been a sea change in the way players look at Brighton. There is simply no way that we would have managed to sign Veltman, Lallana, Welbeck a couple years ago. Our wages are simply not on the same scale as most clubs, and these are still top talent. Given wages are relatively low then there is another reason they are now prepared to sign

We have young exciting talent prepared to leave big 6 clubs to come here and shine, we have established top tier internationals (whilst not at their absoulute peak) coming here, we now have a first class academy with a now proven route to first team Premier League football

Its taken years to get here, but with players like Lallana advocating for players to join,with the Lampteys and Whites performing we are a very different set up to even 2 seasons ago.

Will White and Lamptey still be here in 4 years? Probably not, but I think whilst we are still a stepping stone to the big 6, we are a lot further along that path than we were, so players are likely to be happy to showcase their talent for us, rather than move on to the next club as soon as possible

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He'll be with us a while yet. He's not going to improve any quicker or better anywhere else for a year or two.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He might be really happy here and prepared to stay.

Which "big club" need a right back so badly that they are prepared to guarantee him playing time and pay mega bux?

We're establishing ourselves as a Premier League side now, working our way up the table. We can keep our best players now.

Here's my thought process on the matter

Thought 1 = "how much money would Tony Bloom want, to think that selling Lamptey is a the right thing for Brighton and Hove Albion?"
Thought 2 = "bloody hell, that' a mind bending quantity of cash, how much did it cost to build the Amex again?"
Thought 3 = "OK, how many clubs are there that could conceivably pay that sort of cash in the global pandemic?"
Thought 4 = "Who is playing right back or RWB for those clubs at the moment?"
Thought 5 = "OK then, really Is Tariq going to get in a team in front of, TAA, Pavard, Meunier, Cuadrado, Carvajal? All of those experienced full internationals with major nations?, when he's never even made a full England squad yet?"
Thought 6 = "Is Tariq the sort who's going to down tools to get a dream move?"
Thought 7 = "Won't be long before I get my shot in the arm and i'll be able to see, possibly the best player ever to play for Brighton from my seat in WSU. Can't wait"

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
TBH it's probably for the best.

Tariq up close would probably turn me into the giddiest of giddy aunts.

There just wouldn't be enough pearls for me to clutch as I swoon to the floor.

Then he'd have to put up with the embarrassment of me trying to wrap him up in hat scarf and gloves, shouting at the big boys for tackling him.
Finally licking a hanky and wiping his face before meeting the press.

I'm worried about you Statto. :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He will be here at least until the end of the season, probably longer.
I doubt bigger clubs will be ready or able to pay the sort of dollar we would want, based on a couple of dozen games.
Also, he must be loving it at Brighton. He’s getting game time and is our main man. Nice place, too.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think there has been a sea change in the way players look at Brighton. There is simply no way that we would have managed to sign Veltman, Lallana, Welbeck a couple years ago. Our wages are simply not on the same scale as most clubs, and these are still top talent. Given wages are relatively low then there is another reason they are now prepared to sign

We have young exciting talent prepared to leave big 6 clubs to come here and shine, we have established top tier internationals (whilst not at their absoulute peak) coming here, we now have a first class academy with a now proven route to first team Premier League football

Its taken years to get here, but with players like Lallana advocating for players to join,with the Lampteys and Whites performing we are a very different set up to even 2 seasons ago.

Will White and Lamptey still be here in 4 years? Probably not, but I think whilst we are still a stepping stone to the big 6, we are a lot further along that path than we were, so players are likely to be happy to showcase their talent for us, rather than move on to the next club as soon as possible

This with cow bells on, we are a much better prospect now and why leave a top "six club" to gain playing time and then jump ship back to a "top six club" only to probably be a rotation squad player, no top six side would guarantee Lampty or White a starting position week in week out. I very much think we will get at least two seasons out of both players by which time we may also be in a very different position ourselves.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Last home fixture of 20/21 is weekend of 15th May. We're going to be back at the Amex by then, and he's not being sold in Jan.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
We haven't been a selling club recently so I'd hope he won't be going anywhere soon. Saying that, if fans aren't allowed back in soon then the club may have no choice to start selling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here