Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Error when trying to open a program in W10

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I am once again hoping that the gurus of NSC will be able to help. I am trying to open some software on my W10 PC and get the following error. It's a piece of software designed by my web builders that allows for the uploading of products via a csv file. The tech support guys for my website asked me to download some Microsoft SQL stuff, but no luck, so say that don't know why its happening!!! I can run it from my office but not on my home laptop

OsVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0(Win32NT)
CLRVersion: 4.0.30319.42000
CurrentUI: English
CurrentCulture: English (United Kingdom)
Entry AssemblyFileVersion: 9.80
Entry AssemblyVersion: 9.80.0.29
Current AppDomain: Ox.DataPlug.Application.exe

Exception (System.NullReferenceException) n° 1
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Responsible function : get_Source
Error source : System.Data.SqlServerCe
Stack :
at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException.get_Source()
at Ox.Framework.Sys.Utils.ErreursUtils.ExceptionToString(Exception in_Exception, Boolean in_IncludePile, Boolean byOrderExcept)
at OxWindowsForms.UI.DetailExceptionForm..ctor(Exception error)
at OxWindowsForms.UI.DetailExceptionForm.ShowError(Form owner, String errorDetail, Exception error)
at Ox.DataPlug.Application.Program.CurrentApplication_OnError(Object sender, IOxAppDomainErrorArgs args)

Any help much appreciated

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have you turned it off and on again?

after that, get some new support as they shouldnt leave you hanging.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Have you tried licking your fingers? The pages can get stuck together sometimes. Failing that a quick email to PB to demand a refund. No use buying it if you can't read it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Looks like it can't contact the SQL database it wants to, judging by that error

Edit - just seen the bit where you say it works at the office. It is most likely trying to talk to something that is based on your office network

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
What OS does it work on at the office?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I am once again hoping that the gurus of NSC will be able to help. I am trying to open some software on my W10 PC and get the following error. It's a piece of software designed by my web builders that allows for the uploading of products via a csv file. The tech support guys for my website asked me to download some Microsoft SQL stuff, but no luck, so say that don't know why its happening!!! I can run it from my office but not on my home laptop

OsVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0(Win32NT)
CLRVersion: 4.0.30319.42000
CurrentUI: English
CurrentCulture: English (United Kingdom)
Entry AssemblyFileVersion: 9.80
Entry AssemblyVersion: 9.80.0.29
Current AppDomain: Ox.DataPlug.Application.exe

Exception (System.NullReferenceException) n° 1
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Responsible function : get_Source
Error source : System.Data.SqlServerCe
Stack :
at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException.get_Source()
at Ox.Framework.Sys.Utils.ErreursUtils.ExceptionToString(Exception in_Exception, Boolean in_IncludePile, Boolean byOrderExcept)
at OxWindowsForms.UI.DetailExceptionForm..ctor(Exception error)
at OxWindowsForms.UI.DetailExceptionForm.ShowError(Form owner, String errorDetail, Exception error)
at Ox.DataPlug.Application.Program.CurrentApplication_OnError(Object sender, IOxAppDomainErrorArgs args)

Any help much appreciated

So... What SQL stuff were you asked to download?
Their support needs to improve, the error clearly relates to something not correct with a database connector. My guess would be to go to your ODBC settings and test the connection there.
Click the Windows "Start" button and then click "Control Panel." Click "System and Security." Click "Administrative Tools" in the list of utilities. Double-click the icon labeled "Data Sources (ODBC)." A list of DSNs display.
Click the DSN you want to test. ...
Click the "Test Connection" button.
see what that tells you.
Forward said info back to their support.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
If you can run this from your office but not from your home laptop then it may be security related? Your office is likely to be inside your firewall by default but you are trying to access this from outside so will likely need to have someone add your laptop IP to their white list (or whatever setup you guys have)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you can run this from your office but not from your home laptop then it may be security related? Your office is likely to be inside your firewall by default but you are trying to access this from outside so will likely need to have someone add your laptop IP to their white list (or whatever setup you guys have)

And this is a possibily too or that the firewall on your laptop is blocking the connection. Its normally port 1433 for sql server so might need to allow that through your firewall

Turning off your firewall on your laptop, then testing it would also be a good thing to try

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Looks like it can't contact the SQL database it wants to, judging by that error

Edit - just seen the bit where you say it works at the office. It is most likely trying to talk to something that is based on your office network

But it's an error called by "System.Data.SqlServerCe" which is SQL Server Compact Edition and that's usually a local embedded database.

Looks like the application loads the CSV files into that, before doing further processing.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't use ODBC either.

I suspect the application is looking for a local database in the wrong place or is expecting the database to be created when it isn't.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
OK if you have been told to download microsoft sql server components then it would suggest your website is running microsoft sql server to host the database, which isnt really that common

More probable a local embedded DB is used to process the CSV files. There are a number of those knocking about you can use. SQLite being another.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
More probable a local embedded DB is used to process the CSV files. There are a number of those knocking about you can use. SQLite being another.

Yeah think you might be right about a local database instance, CEs not been around really for some time now though has it, nor would one probably try and connect using odbc Wonder if SQL Express was what the poster has been asked to download, and if that would throw the same exception.

Guessing a bit now though tbh without more info,

Dorset Seagull

But it's an error called by "System.Data.SqlServerCe" which is SQL Server Compact Edition and that's usually a local embedded database.

Looks like the application loads the CSV files into that, before doing further processing.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't use ODBC either.

I suspect the application is looking for a local database in the wrong place.

The software wouldnt run the first time I tried to open it. At that time it wouldnt have known it was supposed to be linked to something as I could have been anyone trying to run the software for the first time. Or have I got that bit wrong??

The office copy did have some details in the database but I tend to reset the database to wipe it so that there is nothing in the database. I might have forgotten to do that last time I used it in the office but again how would running the software on the laptop even know the other copy even existed at this point?

Dorset Seagull

And this is a possibily too or that the firewall on your laptop is blocking the connection. Its normally port 1433 for sql server so might need to allow that through your firewall

Turning off your firewall on your laptop, then testing it would also be a good thing to try

Turned off firewall but made no difference.

The first error says Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. When you click yes you then get the message Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here