Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Regarding var

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I’m at the point now where it should be taken out the hands of the off field man initially An nfl style system implemented ie the managers get two “flags” where the ref and var are obliged to check a decision otherwise leave the game to flow.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I’m at the point now where it should be taken out the hands of the off field man initially An nfl style system implemented ie the managers get two “flags” where the ref and var are obliged to check a decision otherwise leave the game to flow.

I disagree.

I think this will favour the big clubs, where a manager challenging a decision will be looked at properly if they are a "name" and given a cursory look and reject if not.
At least with the current situation the review is being requested by their peers.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No. Its shit and should just be removed entirely.

With the "two flags" stuff you are talking about its just going to steal even more attention and turn into even more of a circus. It would be flawed in so many ways. Managers usually have a really bad view over the situations, could see players moaning at their managers for not using their VAR calls when a player wants it. Turning the manager into some kind of biased 5th ref would change the whole job. "Sorry, cant hire you mate you got bad eyesight and you're too short to get a good overview."

Could see the endless discussions among pundits and commentators "do you think Potter should have used his 'VAR call' in that situation?" or "do you think the ref took the wrong decision or should he have waited for the manager to give the 'VAR call'?" and so on... its bad enough as it is.

To me either VAR turns into something you only use to detect clear cheating like diving to get a penalty or punching someone when the ref doesnt see it. Not offside stuff or some minor shirt pull. It should be considered "the big cavalleri", something you only see every 10th game.

But as I know they could never restrict it to being used that rarely, would be too much moaning about not "using the tools they have", it needs to go entirely. It wont turn good. There are no rule changes, ref educations or personnel change that will turn it good. Its shit and the shit is only likely to escalate, more and more situations will be VAR checked because of the massive pressure from managers, players, media, money...

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
No. Its shit and should just be removed entirely.

With the "two flags" stuff you are talking about its just going to steal even more attention and turn into even more of a circus. It would be flawed in so many ways. Managers usually have a really bad view over the situations, could see players moaning at their managers for not using their VAR calls when a player wants it. Turning the manager into some kind of biased 5th ref would change the whole job. "Sorry, cant hire you mate you got bad eyesight and you're too short to get a good overview."

Could see the endless discussions among pundits and commentators "do you think Potter should have used his 'VAR call' in that situation?" or "do you think the ref took the wrong decision or should he have waited for the manager to give the 'VAR call'?" and so on... its bad enough as it is.

To me either VAR turns into something you only use to detect clear cheating like diving to get a penalty or punching someone when the ref doesnt see it. Not offside stuff or some minor shirt pull. It should be considered "the big cavalleri", something you only see every 10th game.

But as I know they could never restrict it to being used that rarely, would be too much moaning about not "using the tools they have", it needs to go entirely. It wont turn good. There are no rule changes, ref educations or personnel change that will turn it good. Its shit and the shit is only likely to escalate, more and more situations will be VAR checked because of the massive pressure from managers, players, media, money...
You make some valid points mate but as I think var will be here for the considerable future trying to get the best out of it might be making the teams have the ultimate say in its decision making

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here