Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Villa Goal - Defending set pieces

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The Villa goal yesterday, it was Webster's player who was left free and I've seen various comments of 'why didn't he go with him', 'Webster needs to wake up' etc

However, Webster was deliberately blocked by a Villa player coming in the opposite direction from an offside position, meaning his player, who was onside, got away. This has happened more than once this season and is, I believe, perceived as a weakness and worked on by the opposition in training. (Particularly teams like Villa, who will throw themselves to the floor every opportunity).

So, what do we do to counter it ?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Stop giving away stupid free kicks around our penalty area?

Definitely!

But this has been going on for years, watch an old England corner with Sheringham/Shearer. I'm just wondering what ideas people have for countering this?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have done it ourselves. In our case the decision goes against us.

The counter would be to put the wall further back, in the six yard box.

Other than that, there is no defence against a man standing still, standing in your way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It was all so very 2020 / VAR.

Surely part of the reason many sides have a high line defending these free kicks is to try to catch the opposition with a toenail offside (of course, if they fluff the kick it also gives us a head start in transition). The weakness is that it leaves a massive space between keeper and back line for the ball to be played into. There is nothing to stop attacking players being in that space so long as they either get onside just before the kick is taken or don't attempt to play the ball.

Very often attackers will start offside and run back onside (conveniently blocking a zonal defender) or stand still (conveniently blocking a zonal defender) which is what they did to Webster yesterday. In the old days it would have been offside as the blocker is clearly interfering with play (though I go along with Clough's interpretation of that old rule which said you were interfering by being on the pitch). Now it can be interpreted as being on as no attempt is made to play the ball. It is NOT a foul on Webster so long as they don't move to block him off and he runs into them but the offside rule needs looking at - in more than this way though.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think Brighton in general defended set pieces quite well in this game. They had countless corners which came to nothing.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We need to start thinking dirty at these set pieces. We’re too nice. We’re got our jobs and “here’s how it’s gonna go”, and then suddenly the opposition do something dirty or unexpected like block a player off and suddenly we’re a goal down.

Need Charlie Oatway back to grab someone’s nadgers or do a quick stamp on the foot.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think Brighton in general defended set pieces quite well in this game. They had countless corners which came to nothing.

Poor defensive header by Biss? near the end in the lead up to the non penalty incident

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hold a higher line and don’t have a keeper who’s a midget and never comes for crosses?

I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but yes, there are plenty of Premier league goalies who would have come out and claimed that cross.

I still maintain Potter picking Sanchez was based on him being the kind of big goalie that Potter wants, and we could see more of him sooner than later

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but yes, there are plenty of Premier league goalies who would have come out and claimed that cross.

I still maintain Potter picking Sanchez was based on him being the kind of big goalie that Potter wants, and we could see more of him sooner than later

Nailled it :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here