Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Weird CH boiler behaviour - any thoughts pls?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have a combi boiler with TRVs on the rads, and a room thermostat.

The boiler temperature is set to 70c for the rads and is currently showing 56c. The thermostat is set to 20c, and is showing current temperature as 18c.

You’d expect the boiler to be on, right? Nuh uh.

If I turn the thermostat down to, say, 10c, and then turn it back up to 20c - the boiler goes on - for 10 minutes, then goes off again, leaving the room thermostat reading 18c still.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Yep, I have indeed turned the boiler off and back on again.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Put on a jumper if you’re cold :)

Some room stats don’t actually read 100% true, if you turned the room stat to 25 the heating would probably run.
It maybe not cold enough for the heating to work at 20.

Ta - I’ll tell the missus to do that.

I can hear the relay kick in to turn the boiler on when i turn the thermostat past 18c - and the boiler does indeed fire, for 10 mins.

Weird, huh?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ta - I’ll tell the missus to do that.

I can hear the relay kick in to turn the boiler on when i turn the thermostat past 18c - and the boiler does indeed fire, for 10 mins.

Weird, huh?

If you turned the room stat up fully ( some go to 30 ) would the boiler run for longer?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Is the thermostat one of those ones that you can set different target temperatures throughout the day, or a traditional one where you just set one temperature?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Am I the only one who read this “CH” as Chris Hughton?

“Boiler behaviour”. Lord knows what madness I expected in this thread.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Agreed - I thought it was going to be a thread of Chrissy losing it with a NSFW goal celebration.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Is the thermostat one of those ones that you can set different target temperatures throughout the day, or a traditional one where you just set one temperature?

Got one of those. A Honeywell CM727 and thank God for a YouTube video that made more sense than the instruction leaflet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a combi boiler with TRVs on the rads, and a room thermostat.

The boiler temperature is set to 70c for the rads and is currently showing 56c. The thermostat is set to 20c, and is showing current temperature as 18c.

You’d expect the boiler to be on, right? Nuh uh.

If I turn the thermostat down to, say, 10c, and then turn it back up to 20c - the boiler goes on - for 10 minutes, then goes off again, leaving the room thermostat reading 18c still.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Yep, I have indeed turned the boiler off and back on again.

It may be the water pressure. Ours conks out every couple of years due to this. There are brilliant online vids to show you how to fix this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=AV4dqnkxGQM

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Got one of those. A Honeywell CM727 and thank God for a YouTube video that made more sense than the instruction leaflet.

We inherited our one when we moved in about a year ago and I've had it on manual until a couple of weeks ago! Once you get your mind round the fact you now have two timers - one for boiler availability, and the other for target temperatures throughout the day - it is actually quite useful, and we've been tweaking the targets as we get used to how the house reacts and what is comfortable for us. The main problem I had was finding a decent position for it where the signal wasn't getting blocked by our rather solid internal walls, eventually settled on the downstairs toilet :lol:.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Heat exchange? get an engineer round

Maybe. I’m going to continue playing today - resetting it, turning it off and on again (again), and, err... that’s about it tbh.

If a miracle doesn’t happen, I’ll be on the blower in the morning.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We inherited our one when we moved in about a year ago and I've had it on manual until a couple of weeks ago! Once you get your mind round the fact you now have two timers - one for boiler availability, and the other for target temperatures throughout the day - it is actually quite useful, and we've been tweaking the targets as we get used to how the house reacts and what is comfortable for us. The main problem I had was finding a decent position for it where the signal wasn't getting blocked by our rather solid internal walls, eventually settled on the downstairs toilet :lol:.

Yes played that game. Starts doing something strange, wife moans so quick but uneconomical fix is to stick it manual. We also have some strange little box affixed to the outside wall adjacent to the combi boiler which is supposedly a weather compensation sensor. :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here