Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalties

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It was not long ago that a penalty either for a foul or handball.was a rarity The odd one spectators may disagree with but very few. The game was much better for it. There seems to be so many now and am sure everybody doesnt want to continue seeing so many games decided by a penalty.
Anyway reason for this post, has anybody got info on yearly comparisons on no of penalties awarded.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Way too many.

I'd trial penalties to be abolished and see free kicks awarded in the penalty area.

Takes pressure of the officials and stops disproportionate punishments for fouls in positions where there is little chance of a goal

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Way too many.

I'd trial penalties to be abolished and see free kicks awarded in the penalty area.

Takes pressure of the officials and stops disproportionate punishments for fouls in positions where there is little chance of a goal

If there’s little chance of a goal and a penalty offence is committed then that’s just poor defending and deserves the punishment...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Once the FA went down the continental route of allowing a mere touch as a foul, drawing a foul or contact seen as a art-form, that was THE game changer.

But it wasn’t overnight. Rooney was a master, so it’s been around a while. Pre-VAR.

Sutton and Collymore were the last two pundits I can remember calling out divers. Now pundits regularly saying that, would be eased out of their jobs .... seen as miserable.

All that’s happened is that football in these isles has fallen into line with the art-form (cheating) of overseas football.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not much good about VAR and penalties but it is a big improvement that final decision is now made by Ref

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Long advocated the penalty box should be substantially reduced. The sheer volume of players diving, or looking for fouls on the edge goal line or now kicking the ball at an opponents hand when really, they pose no threat or chance of scoring from said position is out of control. Cheating in a word. Gamesmanship or clever if you’re the chosen pundit making a cock of yourself post match trying to defend it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Way too many.

I’d change the law so penalties are only given for very obvious fouls in the box I.e. player has to be properly and clearly tripped or bundled to the floor etc. This would soon put a stop to players falling over from a slight touch.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's not just penalties though, free kicks are given if you slid in and make the minimal touch on the ball then bring the player down, people believe that is a foul.

As long as you make contact with the ball first, what happens next does not matter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’d change the law so penalties are only given for very obvious fouls in the box I.e. player has to be properly and clearly tripped or bundled to the floor etc. This would soon put a stop to players falling over from a slight touch.

thought this used to be the interpretation, i'm sure it was supposed to be for a preventing a goal scoring opportunity. now its touching a player in the box . not sure if there was ever an actual change of rules or just refs used to be lax.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to go back to the days when penalties are only given for clear denial of a goal.

So many games decided by teams with a penalty when they wouldn't have scored from normal play if they played all day.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd like to go back to the days when penalties are only given for clear denial of a goal.

So many games decided by teams with a penalty when they wouldn't have scored from normal play if they played all day.

When was that then because I've been going for 45 years and during that time that was never the rule!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not just penalties though, free kicks are given if you slid in and make the minimal touch on the ball then bring the player down, people believe that is a foul.

As long as you make contact with the ball first, what happens next does not matter.

Don't think that is quite right. If you slide in recklessly, getting the ball first but putting the opponent in danger then yes, it's a foul but if you take the Ben White interception where he slid in to concede a corner just before Watkins pulled the trigger but slightly caught Watkins after clearing then no one was claiming that's a penalty.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Don't need to change the law, just the interpretation. Contact should only lead to a penalty if it involves sufficient force to cause a player to go down rather than them throwing themselves at the ground. Today, there is no doubt March got the ball first but there is doubt that he even touched Trezeguet and even if he did contact was extremely light and not enough to poleaxe him.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I would change the rule so if a player takes actions to exaggerate the contact, it is a free kick to the other team, regardless of whether its a foul or not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fact that Oliver had to go to a monitor to change his decision (and credit to him for that) should then, IMO, have resulted in a yellow card for Trezueget for conning a penalty out of him. If not on the day, then retrospectively.

Only then might we see a reduction in the dying swan acts when players feel a slight breeze on their sock.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The fact that Oliver had to go to a monitor to change his decision (and credit to him for that) should then, IMO, have resulted in a yellow card for Trezueget for conning a penalty out of him. If not on the day, then retrospectively.

Only then might we see a reduction in the dying swan acts when players feel a slight breeze on their sock.

"Slight breeze on their sock"?!?!!

I'm reliably informed by Villa fans and management that:

"You could see Trezueget's shin pad buckled from the force of the challenge"

and

"You could hear the contact all around the ground"

No wonder they are so angry about this grave miscarriage of justice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here