Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zonal marking v Man marking at set pieces

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
First time I really noticed that we’d switch to a zonal marking system was the Burnley game. Zonal marking does not work as seen today for their equaliser. A man marking system is so much better and then you can pinpoint which players should be tracking whom.

How long will this last do we think? Cost us the goal today so wonder if we will switch back to the standard usual method for the game next weekend. Thoughts?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Conceded more goals from set pieces than any other team in the division this season. Speaks for itself. Whatever we’re doing isn’t working and it needs to change. This is purely in terms of set pieces. I’m loving the general team play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You don't take Duffy out of this teams set piece defending and expect to carry on like nothing has happened.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I be not really understand it all. But we’re bad at set pieces HOWEVER today we did well considering the amount they had. I love Maty I think he’s class. But I def see a weakness of a hesitancy to come and claim crosses etc. And when he does it’s punches... which is not ideal.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
First time I really noticed that we’d switch to a zonal marking system was the Burnley game. Zonal marking does not work as seen today for their equaliser. A man marking system is so much better and then you can pinpoint which players should be tracking whom.

How long will this last do we think? Cost us the goal today so wonder if we will switch back to the standard usual method for the game next weekend. Thoughts?

It’s actually a combination of both.

I was very worried when I saw Gross marking Mings.

However, zonal is not a great system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
They had lots of set pieces and created very little from them.

:shrug:

Well I've just watched the short highlights and they had the goal and the Mings chance that Ryan managed to clear with his leg.

Pretty sure they looked like scoring quite a few times more as well.

It's the deep runners, we just don't pick them up and they end up being free in the box.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
When you actually watch their goal again you’ll see that they’d prepared the set piece:

The offside player doesn’t move and just blocks the defender tracking back into he box, this leaves the attacking player completely unmarked.

I would love to see us play this dirty every now and then, we need a bit of grit in the team

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
When you actually watch their goal again you’ll see that they’d prepared the set piece:

The offside player doesn’t move and just blocks the defender tracking back into he box, this leaves the attacking player completely unmarked.

I would love to see us play this dirty every now and then, we need a bit of grit in the team

We used to do this sort of thing a lot under Hughton. Potter seems to want us to play fair.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I personally think man to man marking is better but when almost every good team in world football has switched to zonal I think we have to consider the possibility that its a superior method?

Analytics or fans eyesite? Hmmm

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I have never played football at a level where zonal marking has been suggested or considered, so can't speak with much authority on it.

However it strikes me that the man in the pub always thinks zonal marking is rubbish and costs goals, yet the majority of top coaches in the professional game use it. Which must indicate something.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Given the number of corners and free kicks we conceded, conceding 1 is about par.

More important than the method of marking is finding a way to not concede free kicks around the box. (yes I know Villa were diving sh**s) but there loads of needless corners as well.

Oh and scoring from one of our own for a change would be good

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have never played football at a level where zonal marking has been suggested or considered, so can't speak with much authority on it.

However it strikes me that the man in the pub always thinks zonal marking is rubbish and costs goals, yet the majority of top coaches in the professional game use it. Which must indicate something.

Hmmmm, who was it who said” We’ve had enough of experts, in this country”?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Given the number of corners and free kicks we conceded, conceding 1 is about par.

More important than the method of marking is finding a way to not concede free kicks around the box. (yes I know Villa were diving sh**s) but there loads of needless corners as well.

Oh and scoring from one of our own for a change would be good

We are shockingly bad at attacking set pieces. We had 3 corners today, took them all long, and didn't once manage to get it over the first defenders head. I just don't get it. Seriously, I as an overweight 50 something with arthritis can do better than that. I can kick a football from a corner that lands somewhere near the penalty spot every time. Why do we find it so hard?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I’ve always favoured man marking over zonal. But there’s so much clever tactical blocking that I’m no longer sure. Much of the tactical blocking should be penalised for obstruction imo, but not always given.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here