Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Peter Walton

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What on earth was he on about after the match? If someone can find the cllip and post it on this thead, and anyone provide an explanation, because I'm baffled. I suspect he's just a fool that warrants the boot.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yes, I think I heard what he said...

"Var isn't there to make the right decision" I believe was one of his inane comments :facepalm:

This in spades! And his comments just prove further what a mess VAR is. He queried as to why VAR got involved as it was a not a " clear and obvious error ". That phrase gets used a lot but surely it's illogical? Surely VAR should be there to attempt to eradicate any type of error obvious or not.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He’s a Villa fan isn’t he? It’s also laughable that he’s the “expert” referee on BT. I remember him giving Southampton a penalty against us when the foul was about 5 yards outside the penalty area.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
What on earth was he on about after the match? If someone can find the cllip and post it on this thead, and anyone provide an explanation, because I'm baffled. I suspect he's just a fool that warrants the boot.

Contradicts himself massively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Define clear and obvious. We benefitted from it today (and in my view it was the correct decision) but ultimately all these decisions are still SUBJECTIVE. Some would have given it, some wouldn't have. That's why I'd prefer to go back to as things were when the refs just reffed the game and if they make a mistake so be it (even though if VAR ultimately helped us today).

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He always agrees with the ref while the commentators been thanking him for his great knowledge. He's totally pointless !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He said that VAR cannot ever get involved in reversing a penalty given decision [by directing the ref to the screen, because it is not a clear and obvious error].

Laid that on thick. VAR should never have got involved.

If he’s correct, another aspect to VAR that needs amending. We want the correct decisions, not gobbledygook to protect the ancient sanctity of the match day ref.

Get your house in order like cricket and rugby union.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The clear and obvious error was that the ref didn’t see that March touched the ball.

He was probably told about it by VAR and then went to see the replay where he then corrected his error.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The clear and obvious error was that the ref didn’t see that March touched the ball.

He was probably told about it by VAR and then went to see the replay where he then corrected his error.

Blinkered, emphatic Peter Walton didn’t see that as a clear and obvious error. Making it plain that he’s the all seeing eye and paragon of virtue.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why is Walton saying VAR is not about right or wrong but clear and obvious when we have had a multitude of VAR decisions given on offside goals with millimetres involved? That is complete opposite of clear and obvious, and the only justification for such rigorous intervention is to end up with the technically correct decision.

Someone needs to assess Walton via VAR.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In general terms he's kinda right its supposed to only identify clear and obvious errors not armpit offsides but seeing as every other week since its been deployed its been used exactly like that and in this case it did show a clear and obvious error anyway his argument is well shit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Define clear and obvious. We benefitted from it today (and in my view it was the correct decision) but ultimately all these decisions are still SUBJECTIVE. Some would have given it, some wouldn't have. That's why I'd prefer to go back to as things were when the refs just reffed the game and if they make a mistake so be it (even though if VAR ultimately helped us today).

Today wasn’t subjective. Ref gave a penalty. VAR shows March got the ball and there was no foul, or even any contact for that matter.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Walton is right according to the letter of the law. This states that VAR should be involved in penalty decision only if a clear and obvious error has been spotted. This year, with the pitch side review, VAR refs seem to be working around this rule by asking the referee to look again. This one went our way, but we had a penalty taken away against United when the error was not clear and obvious. It was also not clear and obvious whether Lallana and Kane's collision was inside the box (although to me it was clear and obvious that Kane committed the foul).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here