Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Telescopes

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I fancy buying a telescope but searching the net I didn't realise the choices. As it could be a passing fad I reckon less than £150 but could go over if needed. I know I need a 140mm aperture but this really shoves the price up so anything in the 100mm you can recommend? I'd like to be able to set up my phone to see what the lens can see. I live in the countryside with almost zero light.
Any experts or amateurs send me in the right direction please.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
If your budget is £150-200 then don't bother with a telescope, none will be any good - you need to be pushing £500 really. Get yourself a decent pair of 7x50 or 10x70 binoculars instead.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If a telescope crashed into a microscope, would it be a kaleidoscope?
No. A kaleidoscope is an optical instrument with two or more reflecting surfaces invented by David Brewster. What you would have would be a broken telescope and a smashed microscope. The two are not the same. HTH.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Stargazing use. I've a half decent set of binoculars somewhere, maybe I'll try them.
As for the £500 mark, well out of my budget.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Stargazing use. I've a half decent set of binoculars somewhere, maybe I'll try them.
As for the £500 mark, well out of my budget.

I've got a cheap one sitting in the loft - where it has sat for around 20 years. The idea seems great but unless you know what you are doing, you are just waving it around trying to find a spot of light. I would imagine the ones that auto find stars are much better.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I fancy buying a telescope but searching the net I didn't realise the choices. As it could be a passing fad I reckon less than £150 but could go over if needed. I know I need a 140mm aperture but this really shoves the price up so anything in the 100mm you can recommend? I'd like to be able to set up my phone to see what the lens can see. I live in the countryside with almost zero light.

I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure you need to look UP :thumbsup:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing

Currently borrowing a friends telescope. Used it 3/4 times and now stuck in my shed. Once you've looked at the Moon, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn ( really impressive) that's probably just about it for a basic scope. If you want to start looking at distant stars/galaxies etc, then i think your'e going to need to spend a few bob !!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Currently borrowing a friends telescope. Used it 3/4 times and now stuck in my shed. Once you've looked at the Moon, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn ( really impressive) that's probably just about it for a basic scope. If you want to start looking at distant stars/galaxies etc, then i think your'e going to need to spend a few bob !!

No chance of spotting Ulloa penalty then?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've got a cheap one sitting in the loft - where it has sat for around 20 years. The idea seems great but unless you know what you are doing, you are just waving it around trying to find a spot of light. I would imagine the ones that auto find stars are much better.
Have you ever used the sky map app on your phone? Awesome app. There is a search function as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If your budget is £150-200 then don't bother with a telescope, none will be any good - you need to be pushing £500 really. Get yourself a decent pair of 7x50 or 10x70 binoculars instead.

Cool.....pretty much what my limited research suggested too. I’m finding the 15x70s much better than I expected - can pick out real detail on the moon, great views of ISS passes etc. They’re a bit overpowered for the birdlife at the end of the garden though. Haven’t tried it on any neighbours yet [emoji23]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not sure i understand how pair of binoculars, with two lens etc, can be better in the price range than a telescope???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here