Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter pre-Aston Villa press conference

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxqDQaSndC4

If you dont have 15 minutes, below is a summary of what he said. Took the freedom to make some Potter to Honesty translations in italics.

* Connolly & March back in training
* Game might come a little too soon for Trossard (not playing)
* Pröpper sick (stomach), Alexis not available for the game "at the moment" (he is out with covid but I didnt want to bring it up)
* In favour of five subs but PL clubs should have strong enough squads to deal with it anyway (five subs please but three is no real issue)
* Thinks that the performances, except for a half against WBA, are the best "block of performances" they've made since they came to the club, but frustrated with the results
* He himself had the flu last week
* Says he doesnt know shit about the link about headings and dementia but says dementia is no good and that it is good that they are doing research. Duh. (go ask a scientist or something you fat dumb ****)
* On the weird question of Guardiolas new contract he says "Congratulations to Pep, Manchester City and British football" (I like Pep, what do you expect me to say you clown)
* Aston Villa are impressive and made good investment in the summer, identifying the areas were they were maybe not so strong (shite), also says that Jack Grealish currently is "one of the best if not the best" player in the league.
* Lots of praise for Welbeck (I always speak positively about my players but this time I really mean it)
* On the question if Welbeck got a great influence on young players, just like Lallana, or if he's been busy getting into shape, Potter says "bit of both" (mostly trying to get into full fitness atm)
* Journo asks "Is Dunk walking straight into the team again or is it more complicated than that?", Potter answers "There is no doubt about Lewis, he goes into the team".
* On the question if he is panicking, he says no (what a dumb ****ing question, how did you get a job?)
* Mentions Barkley, Watkins and Trezeguet as other good Villa players
* Very quckly mentions Watkins different qualities etc. (we had a deep look at him and actually looked at the possibility of getting him)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Watched it in full, he seemed very fed up and unenthusiastic in responding to the questions asked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watched it in full, he seemed very fed up and unenthusiastic in responding to the questions asked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He always, always does. Can see the thinly veiled irritation with the mostly pointless questions every time. Even the ‘hello *****’ to whoever is asking the question is brusque.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He always, always does. Can see the thinly veiled irritation with the mostly pointless questions every time. Even the ‘hello *****’ to whoever is asking the question is brusque.
Yes. I don't like it.

He is getting paid a fortune to do a job and the weekly press conference is a very minor imposition. Very surprised that for all his vaunted emotional intelligence he isn't able to summon up a more positive approach to the task.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yes. I don't like it.

He is getting paid a fortune to do a job and the weekly press conference is a very minor imposition. Very surprised that for all his vaunted emotional intelligence he isn't able to summon up a more positive approach to the task.

Perhaps he's just pissed off with his job......

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Perhaps he's just pissed off with his job......

The worrying thing for me is that that then rubs off on the players...

Fully expecting to get beaten on Sat. But I live in hope. Last
season at Villa Park we should have been three up at H/T.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes. I don't like it.

The worrying thing for me is that that then rubs off on the players...

Fully expecting to get beaten on Sat. But I live in hope. Last
season at Villa Park we should have been three up at H/T.

Ask good questions, get good answers. Ask tired questions, get tired answers. I like it. Most managers and formers managers I respect got the same approach. Got very little to do with emotional intelligence and its highly unlikely the players give a shit - I think very few players think "I love tabloids, you should treat them better."

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I really dont see the point in a lot of these press conferences, unless something major has happened there really is nothing to say. Quick injury update, and thats it . a quick press statement wiould be as informative, and save a lot of time and effort- what was the point of the Pep question ffs?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ask good questions, get good answers. Ask tired questions, get tired answers. I like it. Most managers and formers managers I respect got the same approach. Got very little to do with emotional intelligence and its highly unlikely the players give a shit - I think very few players think "I love tabloids, you should treat them better."

This. Can imagine him going off the training ground saying 'Sorry lads, be back in 15 mins. Got to sit in front of those ******s asking the same dull questions again'. The attending journos feel they have to justify their existence by asking a question - problem is, outside of an update on injuries, what exactly is he supposed to say ? Won't discuss tactics, will only compliment the opposition, won't comment on transfer speculation and shouldn't comment (as yesterday) on things like heading causing dementia. No wonder he looks pissed off - it's a waste of his time. Could easily just issue an injury update and leave it at that.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I really dont see the point in a lot of these press conferences, unless something major has happened there really is nothing to say. Quick injury update, and thats it . a quick press statement wiould be as informative, and save a lot of time and effort- what was the point of the Pep question ffs?

More exposure for the sponsors' logos. There is no other point but it's something managers have to do so I would like it if our manager did them with a bit more good grace and humour. It goes with the job.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Off topic re the Villa game. It's on BT Sport, but now we're in lockdown is it free to view for all or do you need a subscription to BT (given it is an away game, I assume we don't get a freebie here?)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
lets face it ....we are struggling to find a groove , we are playing well but not scoring , and every 4 weeks we get a 2 week international break for meaningless friendlies with players flying all over the place , getting pinged for testing positive for covid for **** sake it's a no brainer , **** the friendlies off , let the domestic leagues carry on unhindered , if no players are travelling over seas then they should all stay safe ......it's no wonder he looks disinterested , he's probably thinking , what the **** is going on here ffs...??

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This. Can imagine him going off the training ground saying 'Sorry lads, be back in 15 mins. Got to sit in front of those ******s asking the same dull questions again'. The attending journos feel they have to justify their existence by asking a question - problem is, outside of an update on injuries, what exactly is he supposed to say ? Won't discuss tactics, will only compliment the opposition, won't comment on transfer speculation and shouldn't comment (as yesterday) on things like heading causing dementia. No wonder he looks pissed off - it's a waste of his time. Could easily just issue an injury update and leave it at that.

I would actually like some journalists trying to ask him about tactical things (or about training), think he would appreciate it. Of course that would require the journalists to do a bit of research and have a bit of football knowledge, but apparently that is asking a bit too much from someone making a living on writing about football.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Yes. I don't like it.

Would you honestly be any different though? Ask an intelligent man the same inane crap often twice-weekly and what do you expect? Even the CIA realised they had to mix it up with waterboarding and the occasional electrical charge through the knackers if they were ever going to locate Bin Laden. The only saving grace is GP not being asked his thoughts on the Little Mix Jesy Nelson situation.

Also, GP’s personality is a very understated one and people are maybe reading too much into his ‘apparently disinterested’ demeanour.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxqDQaSndC4

If you dont have 15 minutes, below is a summary of what he said. Took the freedom to make some Potter to Honesty translations in italics.

* Connolly & March back in training
* Game might come a little too soon for Trossard (not playing)
* Pröpper sick (stomach), Alexis not available for the game "at the moment" (he is out with covid but I didnt want to bring it up)
* In favour of five subs but PL clubs should have strong enough squads to deal with it anyway (five subs please but three is no real issue)
* Thinks that the performances, except for a half against WBA, are the best "block of performances" they've made since they came to the club, but frustrated with the results
* He himself had the flu last week
* Says he doesnt know shit about the link about headings and dementia but says dementia is no good and that it is good that they are doing research. Duh. (go ask a scientist or something you fat dumb ****)
* On the weird question of Guardiolas new contract he says "Congratulations to Pep, Manchester City and British football" (I like Pep, what do you expect me to say you clown)
* Aston Villa are impressive and made good investment in the summer, identifying the areas were they were maybe not so strong (shite), also says that Jack Grealish currently is "one of the best if not the best" player in the league.
* Lots of praise for Welbeck (I always speak positively about my players but this time I really mean it)
* On the question if Welbeck got a great influence on young players, just like Lallana, or if he's been busy getting into shape, Potter says "bit of both" (mostly trying to get into full fitness atm)
* Journo asks "Is Dunk walking straight into the team again or is it more complicated than that?", Potter answers "There is no doubt about Lewis, he goes into the team".
* On the question if he is panicking, he says no (what a dumb ****ing question, how did you get a job?)
* Mentions Barkley, Watkins and Trezeguet as other good Villa players
* Very quckly mentions Watkins different qualities etc. (we had a deep look at him and actually looked at the possibility of getting him)

Thanks Swanny. I'll now be expecting one of these after every press conference.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I think somebody has picked the correct team for Saturday on guess the team thread and he's understandably distraught, he will now have to rewrite everyone's names on scraps of paper and draw them out of his Jesters hat again .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here