Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Is the Nintendo Switch a worthwhile purchase?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I couldn't get one of the very few Black Friday deals so got a console from Amazon in the end. Also got Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Just Dance. This will be a surprise for the kids on Xmas day, can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
We got one a year or so ago and it's great. The kids love Mario Kart 8, Mario & Sonic Tokyo Olympics (we all love that as there are so many events to play), Luigis Mansion 3 and Animal Forest as it's called over here. My mrs plays Dragon Quest on it and the good news is it looks like Nintendo are opening up to having Sony titles available for the Switch.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I couldn't get one of the very few Black Friday deals so got a console from Amazon in the end. Also got Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Just Dance. This will be a surprise for the kids on Xmas day, can't wait.

Just make sure you do the honourable thing and download the games, do a software update and charge it up ahead of the big day.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Just make sure you do the honourable thing and download the games, do a software update and charge it up ahead of the big day.
That could be problematic if you need to connect it up to the TV for it? The game are all the physical cartridges so wouldn't need any downloading? Thanks for the heads up.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
That could be problematic if you need to connect it up to the TV for it? The game are all the physical cartridges so wouldn't need any downloading? Thanks for the heads up.

Most games will still need updating despite being the physical copies, won't take as long as downloading the full games but they can take a while.

Shouldn't need the TV to update it, they can all be done in handheld mode, I've only ever used my switch once on the TV.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Our 10 year old son loves his Switch too. We made him sell his DS in order to have one, but he doesn't regret it one bit.

It is amazing how Nintendo corner the family entertainment niche, but they do get it right every time.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

The other thing I struggled for a while with my son's was getting the account set up properly so I had the main account and his was a kid's account, spend a bit of time getting it right from the start and you won't have to endure the mother of all b*llockings from a young'un when you have to wipe everything and start again with it set up as it should be!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The other thing I struggled for a while with my son's was getting the account set up properly so I had the main account and his was a kid's account, spend a bit of time getting it right from the start and you won't have to endure the mother of all b*llockings from a young'un when you have to wipe everything and start again with it set up as it should be!
So you only have one account? It will be a console for all of us really

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Make sure you get a Switch and not a Switch Lite. The latter can't be plugged into your TV - and that's essential for family fun.

100% agree. Got my 8 yr old a switch & it's great.

Switch lite = switch shite

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone want a boxed copy of Super Mario Odyssey for £22 (inc postage), btw?

We ended up with boxed and digital. D'oh.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Anyone want a boxed copy of Super Mario Odyssey for £22 (inc postage), btw?

We ended up with boxed and digital. D'oh.

Yes please - PM sent

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This. Definitely this.

I’d recommend a big memory card if you are planning on downloading games, can get full very quickly otherwise.

Zelda BOTW is the greatest game of all time too. Don’t get Hyrule Warriors, it’s like comparing Jaws 3 to the original.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Hope my grandson is going to be happy with his ‘switch’
23CF52F1-8003-47AF-B93C-046A7155AE36.jpeg

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Just as a follow up to this- the Switch was a big hit. The whole family has played it, we've used it in all 3 'modes'. Both the kids love it and I've sneaked in some playing time as well.

I took the advice of NSC and set it up in advance which was well worth it. Game on!

Thanks all.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My missus bought one for our boys for Christmas, and its also been a big hit. We had quite a few games all together over the holidays, and can see it being used quite a lot through the early months of '21!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Any recommendations on good family games??? As [MENTION=24884]Fignon's Ponytail[/MENTION] says we think ous will get plenty of use through the lockdown. Have Mario Cart which is great fun but most other games we have seem to be more single player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here