Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Is the Nintendo Switch a worthwhile purchase?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Hi all,

I'd like to throw this out to the great and the good that frequent NSC. After being frustrated in my attempts to get the new Xbox ahead of Xmas, I'm thinking of being a bit more considerate to my kids and buying a Switch instead.

As these are 3 years (?) old now, my question is, do these still stack up well? I know the Nintendo has always been more about gameplay than graphics, but wondered what the opinion was.

Also, do many other NSCers get good family gaming sessions out of these and what games would you recommend for that. I've heard you need 2 more controllers, a charging dock and perhaps a screen protector.

I was thinking Mario Kart but not sure what else.

Thanks all!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
How old are your kids? We got our lad a Switch last Christmas when he had just turned six and I'd say it's probably been the best value for money gift we've ever bought him in terms of pound for pound time spent playing with it. Of course, we didn't know what this year had in store when we bought it but suffice to say it was a Godsend back in March and April.

There are some really good games for it which are reasonably accessible for younger kids - he absolutely loves Luigi's Mansion 3 and almost a year on he's just celebrated his seventh birthday and insisted on a Luigi cake. I've quite enjoyed playing on it with him as well, in truth. If your kids are older, there's always traditional titles like FIFA et al, though I don't know how they compare graphically to Playstation and XBOX.

What's also great about it is that you can play it through the telly or take it with you when you're out and about. It's been handy when we've had to go on long journey's or on the odd occasion when we me and the misssus have wanted to enjoy a restaurant meal in relative peace. That's not going to win me any parenting awards I know, but we're no different to any parents this year in that we've had so little time to ourselves, and sometimes you have to break the odd rule from your own rulebook to keep yourselves sane.

So yeah, in summary, I highly recommend it.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If your children are under ~10, a Switch is the best console to buy (or perhaps a Wii U and some games if cost is prohibitive).

Above that, you're probably best served waiting for an Xbox / PS.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
How old are your kids? We got our lad a Switch last Christmas when he had just turned six and I'd say it's probably been the best value for money gift we've ever bought him in terms of pound for pound time spent playing with it. Of course, we didn't know what this year had in store when we bought it but suffice to say it was a Godsend back in March and April.

There are some really good games for it which are reasonably accessible for younger kids - he absolutely loves Luigi's Mansion 3 and almost a year on he's just celebrated his seventh birthday and insisted on a Luigi cake. I've quite enjoyed playing on it with him as well, in truth. If your kids are older, there's always traditional titles like FIFA et al, though I don't know how they compare graphically to Playstation and XBOX.

What's also great about it is that you can play it through the telly or take it with you when you're out and about. It's been handy when we've had to go on long journey's or on the odd occasion when we me and the misssus have wanted to enjoy a restaurant meal in relative peace. That's not going to win me any parenting awards I know, but we're no different to any parents this year in that we've had so little time to ourselves, and sometimes you have to break the odd rule from your own rulebook to keep yourselves sane.

So yeah, in summary, I highly recommend it.

One is 10 (nearly 11) and the other is 5. The eldest have never really been massively into games so a PS / Xbox is probably not worth it (she has only played Just Dance on the Xbox One). Thanks for the comments, sounds good :)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
For kids, a switch is excellent. A wide variety of child friendly games, it’s portable and a damn sight cheaper than the next gen consoled about to hit the market. You’re also more likely to be able to get your hands in one!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As the switch can plug into the TV or be a handheld it is great for kids. We got a car charger for it and the kids play Mariokart (or their other favourites) on long journeys.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Switch is a brilliant bit of kit, great design. get a second controller as the mini-controllers are really practically for adults. TableTop Racers is a great little two player for little and big kids.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I can't speak highly enough of it. I enjoy it myself at 38. Some great "older" games like Zelda, and some amazing games for your kids: Yoshi's Crafted World, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 to name a few.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Sounds like it will be a sound purchase then! Now to find the right deal......

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Make sure you get a Switch and not a Switch Lite. The latter can't be plugged into your TV - and that's essential for family fun.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Make sure you get a Switch and not a Switch Lite. The latter can't be plugged into your TV - and that's essential for family fun.

Agreed, this is more with the whole family in mind rather than just one of the kids so the full console is a must.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sounds like it will be a sound purchase then! Now to find the right deal......

Hold fire for a week if I were you, Tesco rumoured to be dropping the price of the console itslef by £50 to £230 and othe retailers will rpboably follow suit with similar 'Black Friday' deals.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Hold fire for a week if I were you, Tesco rumoured to be dropping the price of the console itslef by £50 to £230 and othe retailers will rpboably follow suit with similar 'Black Friday' deals.

Really? Good timing then! I'll do that.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Recently sold my switch as it was nothing more than a gimmick that quickly gathered dust.
Probably great for younger kids but the novelty wears off really quick. I played it for the first couple of weeks and then it got forgotten about.
If buying second hand, be very careful of the drift issue with the left controller especially. Relatively easy to fix but a pain if it persists. Game of choice: Mario and Rabbids kingdom battle.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'm 36 and love my Switch, my nephew got one when he was 11 or 12 and cried when he got it, especially as he'd been pranked with the box from mine with a light switch with a Nintendo sticker on it earlier in the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here