Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What holds the glass in a sash window?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Dear NSC, I have a small upstairs sash window (wooden). The upper section has a small gap between the actual pane of glass and the frame at BOTH the top and bottom. I'm not particularly worried about draughts, but is there any possibilty that the pane could fall out? The sides are completely secure. Presumably the glass is inserted into the sides of the frame?

What can I do to fix the gaps?

Excuse my ignrorance!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Photo?

Sounds like it was done for permanent ventilation. It should be putty on the sides. You could take it out and replace with a bigger pane of glass.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Most glass wooden frames in houses over 70 years old is actually only staying put because of the build up of dirt and moss formation in the seals , the putty that was originally placed to hold the glass there has long since met its demise .

My grandad told me this so don't take it as gospel .

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It’s easy enough to take a sash window out.
Stick a screw through the ropes. Screws then hold the weights.
Remove the beading and pop it out.
The. You can mend it properly

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It should be putty on the sides.

Thanks. So it doesn't matter if it's not also sealed at the top and bottom - doesn't make it less secure? That's all I need to know really. Mainly just worried about it falling out and braining someone!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks. So it doesn't matter if it's not also sealed at the top and bottom - doesn't make it less secure? That's all I need to know really. Mainly just worried about it falling out and braining someone!

Often a little tack, pin or nail is tapped in before the putty. Best way is to give it a little push to see if there is movement and check the condition of the putty.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Often a little tack, pin or nail is tapped in before the putty. Best way is to give it a little push to see if there is movement and check the condition of the putty.

Thanks

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s held in by sprigs pins and putty. It usually drops If not supported at 5he bottom though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Most glass wooden frames in houses over 70 years old is actually only staying put because of the build up of dirt and moss formation in the seals , the putty that was originally placed to hold the glass there has long since met its demise .

My grandad told me this so don't take it as gospel .

That sounds quite feasible. The dirt gave way on a pane of glass in one of my sash windows and it's now held in with gaffer tape. I realise this is not the ideal solution but ...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here