Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three Albion players with coronavirus during this international break

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It has already been reported (from Argentina, eight days ago) that Alexis Mac Allister had a positive Covid-19 test. In addition, Michal Karbownik had to withdraw from the Poland squad ten days ago when he had a positive test and although I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, the Swedish FA announced on Monday that Viktor Gyokeres had left the Swedish U-21 squad after testing positive.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A splendid justification for playing international football at the present time. FIFA and UEFA must be so proud of themselves ......................

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Q. Is mixing two lots of 23 or more people from all around the world to play a close contact sport a sensible idea during a worldwide pandemic?

A. No. No it is not.

Its quite ridiculous.

I know statistically most sports players are deemed low risk of serious illness from coronavirus but at some point, aside from the risks of transmission, and the ridiculous idea that sending people round the world unnecessarily is a good idea, someones going to end up very sick or worse. There seems to be a fairly high volume of players catching the disease.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Its quite ridiculous.

I know statistically most sports players are deemed low risk of serious illness from coronavirus but at some point, aside from the risks of transmission, and the ridiculous idea that sending people round the world unnecessarily is a good idea, someones going to end up very sick or worse. There seems to be a fairly high volume of players catching the disease.

And I think importantly there is this long covid which IS affecting younger people and IS debilitating.
It's all very, very odd.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And I think importantly there is this long covid which IS affecting younger people and IS debilitating.
It's all very, very odd.

Its not odd, its just dumb.

Selling the TV rights to international games are a very significant share of the income of FAs in most countries. The FAs distribute the money to the clubs that at this time either would currently need either a lot of money from their governments or go bankrupt.

Governments basically have three choices:
a) Spend a lot of money on saving football clubs and get slaughtered because of their priorities
b) Spend no money on saving football clubs and get slaughtered for killing football.
c) Allow these competitions to go through and make FIFA/TV-money pay a lot of what they would otherwise have needed to pay or avoided to pay.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Its not odd, its just dumb.

Selling the TV rights to international games are a very significant share of the income of FAs in most countries. The FAs distribute the money to the clubs that at this time either would currently need either a lot of money from their governments or go bankrupt.

Governments basically have three choices:
a) Spend a lot of money on saving football clubs and get slaughtered because of their priorities
b) Spend no money on saving football clubs and get slaughtered for killing football.
c) Allow these competitions to go through and make FIFA/TV-money pay a lot of what they would otherwise have needed to pay or avoided to pay.

You might have seen that today the Govervment 'bailed' out UK sport, but not football (at least EFL and Prem), so you're absolutely right.
They've dodged a bullet on that one.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Its quite ridiculous.

Agreed, It's not about fit people catching it and being ok, it's who they spread it to. As for the news that players seem to catch it more - I think this is due to being tested twice a week. Players are at same risk of rest of us, but get tested twice a week.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The world seems to accept that testing positive for Covid 19 and being asymptomatic is ok. But if you've got it, surely it's doing some damage in the body somewhere, even if it's all hidden?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was hoping for a poll, or multi choice.

At the very least some negativity about AJ and Solly

Stephens and Duffy are imune.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Agreed, It's not about fit people catching it and being ok, it's who they spread it to. As for the news that players seem to catch it more - I think this is due to being tested twice a week. Players are at same risk of rest of us, but get tested twice a week.

A friends son is a doctor at our local hospital, frequently in the operating theatre. Has had one test for Covid since March. Footballers get two per week. Seems fair to me. Crazy, money driven decisions.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Don't be surprised if Molumby ends up in the same boat - there were several positive cases in the Irish camp over the past week.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The world seems to accept that testing positive for Covid 19 and being asymptomatic is ok. But if you've got it, surely it's doing some damage in the body somewhere, even if it's all hidden?

The human body at any given time is infected by trillions of viruses. This is known as the human virome. An overwhelming majority are asymptomatic. This Coronavirus can be just one of them.

What kind of asymptomatic damage are you worried about?

Like most of the population, I'm no expert so it's a layman's question. Since you've asked, I was initially thinking about a a bit of brain fog or loss of clarity of thought in decision making. It's not been unknown for Brighton players to be criticised for poor decision making and when the virus clears to a negative test level, I was just wondering if it could leave an issue that wouldn't be attributed to the impact of the virus, yet might make a player go a bit Solly March on a bad day.
NB. That isn't a pop at Solly, purely for illustrative purposes.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Can just about understand why league football is taking place but to be playing international games involving air travel is hard to understand. Especially as they are friendly or minor tournaments

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
What kind of asymptomatic damage are you worried about?

A niece of my wife is a nurse - fit and healthy in her mid-20s - she tested positive for covid about 5 months ago and was asymptomatic. A couple of weeks ago she ended up in hospital as a patient - she had developed a heart problem directly from being infected by covid - a problem that she is going to have for the rest of her life.

Being asymptomatic does not mean escaping any impact - and there is growing evidence that younger people in particular are more susceptible to ongoing health problems from infection, even when they have been asymptomatic.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4470

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nigel Pearson said the same, he caught it without knowing and ended up with a heart problem which he is still taking medication for as well as suffering pneumonia I think it was over the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here