Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] OK - so how many NSCers have an Electric car

Who on here has an Electric car?

• Total voters

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I went for a test drive in a Tesla about 5 years ago. Honestly, it's the future of motoring. The most fun ever in silence. But without lots of cheaper charging and seriously cheaper cars, I'm struggling with how this works. It's going to take a lot of imaginative solutions to avoid a two tier society. The 'haves' who can afford an electric car and home charging and the 'have nots' who can't afford the electric cars or have home charging. I fear the latter will face a double whammy and end up running old gas guzzlers and be penalised by punitive fuel taxes. At the moment, I can't afford an electric car and despite owning my own house and garage nearby, I haven't a solution yet to putting power in my garage. If I could solve both, I'd have an electric car tomorrow. But is there an agenda to just get most cars off the road altogether - just asking for a friend???

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Yes. An early version Nissan Leaf bought used, and we wouldn't go non-electric now. Monthly repayments on the purchase and paying for charging is less than the monthly fuel costs we had on our previous car and we've had no reason to regret the switch.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I will have to wait until a reasonable second hand model gets down to about £5000, have nothing against them per se, just financially out of my league.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My philosophy and on this matter is "as long as I dont have a drivers license, I'm not buying a car". If I ever get one I would probably go for a Volkswagen Beetle and they are not very electric.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I’ve found the cheapest way to buy cars is to get a low mileage car that is about 6 years old. By then you can check how reliable that make and model is and avoid expensive repairs / maintenance. I imagine I’ll go electric about 2035.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I went for a test drive in a Tesla about 5 years ago. Honestly, it's the future of motoring. The most fun ever in silence. But without lots of cheaper charging and seriously cheaper cars, I'm struggling with how this works. It's going to take a lot of imaginative solutions to avoid a two tier society. The 'haves' who can afford an electric car and home charging and the 'have nots' who can't afford the electric cars or have home charging. I fear the latter will face a double whammy and end up running old gas guzzlers and be penalised by punitive fuel taxes. At the moment, I can't afford an electric car and despite owning my own house and garage nearby, I haven't a solution yet to putting power in my garage. If I could solve both, I'd have an electric car tomorrow. But is there an agenda to just get most cars off the road altogether - just asking for a friend???

There is another issue to be resolved...

How will any Government recoup the loss of income from fuel tax and Vat?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I went “nope” but on the grounds I can’t afford one...

I think this covers most of us, I have several classics and a 15 year old Subaru estate as a work hack general utility vehicle, which has the capability of being a band tour bus, race tow car etc etc, I've even slept in it on occaision . . . . There is no electric alternative yet. I would have an electric car purely for commuting and we do have charging points at work . . . . however, I'd need a van to do everything else. Asides the cost of a sparkymobile I don't need another log book in my name, the DVLA will think I'm a dealer! :eek:

My Subaru is worth £5k tops . . . . doesn't go far in van and/or electric markets

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is another issue to be resolved...

How will any Government recoup the loss of income from fuel tax and Vat?

road pricing, charge per mile (see news this week)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’ve found the cheapest way to buy cars is to get a low mileage car that is about 6 years old. By then you can check how reliable that make and model is and avoid expensive repairs / maintenance. I imagine I’ll go electric about 2035.

Bang on . . . .I'm on my third Subaru Legacy . . . . latest one is older, 2006, 73k FSH, under 5k to buy and sort to my liking. I paid 4 for my last one, 11 years and 90k miles and got a grand for it earlier this year. cheap motoring. never broke down, and it worked damned hard for a living.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have a battery powered leaf blower.
A car can wait for another decade.
I wonder how many of the electric car guys are still going to spew tons of carbon out each year on planes?

I’ve got a mix of battery and petrol machinery ....certainly enjoy using the former more...less effort, noise etc

D

Deleted member 2719

I’ve got a mix of battery and petrol machinery ....certainly enjoy using the former more...less effort, noise etc

I only really have one fuel driven tool now and that is a chainsaw, I recently ditched the mower and strimmer as I laid artificial grass, there is, of course, the trade-off of plastic against fuel pollution, but time in my life was far more critical and the satisfaction of always looking well-groomed was to bigger pull. :)

Have you locked yourself in to the same brand because of battery amalgamation?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I only really have one fuel driven tool now and that is a chainsaw, I recently ditched the mower and strimmer as I laid artificial grass, there is, of course, the trade-off of plastic against fuel pollution, but time in my life was far more critical and the satisfaction of always looking well-groomed was to bigger pull. :)

Have you locked yourself in to the same brand because of battery amalgamation?

I’ve got two petrol mowers because of power and specific work...I bought a small battery powered one for its light weight because I had to shift it over a six foot wall for a contract I picked up ..I’m also using it on a lot of small lawns.....I bought a second hand blower and strimmer...also have a short blade hedgecutter and pole one which I use 90% of the time and keep the petrol ones for the rough stuff....and yes I locked myself into sthil partly as I had a lot of their stuff anyway......three batteries serves five bits of kit without any issues

D

Deleted member 2719

I’ve got two petrol mowers because of power and specific work...I bought a small battery powered one for its light weight because I had to shift it over a six foot wall for a contract I picked up ..I’m also using it on a lot of small lawns.....I bought a second hand blower and strimmer...also have a short blade hedgecutter and pole one which I use 90% of the time and keep the petrol ones for the rough stuff....and yes I locked myself into sthil partly as I had a lot of their stuff anyway......three batteries serves five bits of kit without any issues

My chain saw is Stihl, used to be unbeatable IMO, not sure how the compete in this modern era.

I have Milwaukee and can't praise any of the stuff high enough, but then I am not using it in a pro environment. I think a few more years to get the power and stamina for a decent hedge cutter that can do Laurel etc.
I used to love sniffing those two stroke fresh fuel fumes through a face full of waxy leaves, while the forearms and lower back were on fire with lactic acid!

When men were men :hilton:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I will have to wait until a reasonable second hand model gets down to about £5000, have nothing against them per se, just financially out of my league.

Pretty much this. One of my colleagues has one (forked out to have the wiring in their house sorted so can charge from the mains) and the costs are very low. I only got a replacement car a matter of months ago so in no position, but have def considered it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes and No - I've a plug in Hybrid.

I had one as a company car but when we went over to a car allowance instead I just couldn't afford one. I loved it.:down:

Stumpy Tim

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here