Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of Withdean

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
With a lot of our newer / younger / Iranian fans having joined us over the past few years I thought it'd be fun to share some memories of our previous home to show them what they missed!

This pic I saw today really brought it all flooding back. The superb 'away end'. Also, from this angle you could either watch the game or the ladies pilates class at the gym opposite.

withdean-away-stand-800x445.jpg

One of the funniest memories I have was of the Swindon play off game where I was sat at the very back of the South Stand. The rain was terrible. My seat (not my usual one in the North Stand), and being directly under some trees, provided me with what was basically a constant gush of water on to my head. It was like sitting under a cold tap on full. Brilliant!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Used to sit on the front row behind the dugout, jumped up to celebrate us beating Carlisle in the last minute (Bridcutt?) and my phone, a brand new Nokia N95 which at the time was a very expensive phone, flew out my pocket and plummeted to the ground below, needless to say it was almost totally destroyed. The scramble that then ensued to gather the pieces before the stampede of people leaving was fun.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ah yes, the only ground in the Football League where the away end was in a different county to the game being played on the pitch, it was that far from the action!

Memories memories . . .

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
2002, home to Bristol City.No Zamora, Lee Steele up front. During the warm up Steele was kicking into the goal in front of the City fans who responded with raucous cries of ‘Zamora, Zamora’. Steele got the winner in front of the City fans and went batshit in celebration at them.
Can’t remember the year but a match v Sheffield Utd ... line of coppers with batons drawn to stop pitch invasion from the South Stand. Oh and we used to have our school sports day there in the 70 ‘s.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Taking part in several promotion and staying-up pitch invasions was fun, including the 2011 game when there were two .... a premature version 5 minutes early :lol:.

Often to the PA sound of "PLEASE STAY OFF THE PITCH" ... did Samrah used to have to mic?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A funny moment for me was Slades last game 2-0 down to Oldham the fella next to me said ‘ I can’t put my kids through this ‘ gathered up his two boys and pissed off :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I used to sit in the SS behind the benches, the guy next to us was a retired cop didn't rate Muzza from the beginning. All friendly, I tried to persuade him otherwise. At some point in the last 18 months, he turned round to me and said "You were right all along, what a player".

Separately, you could shout out at useless players such as Hoyte and they heard you. "WAKE UP HOYTE"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Me too. Did anyone ever find out who he was?

Yes, he lived in one of the houses behind the away stand. He let the rockets off in his own back garden, but hidden by shrubbery,

My funniest memory of H block was the drunk being evicted by four stewards. He had fallen down on the steps halfway down, so the stewards took a limb each. The poor steward who got the blokes left leg, was left holding it, whilst the others tried to carry him further down. It was a false leg! We were in hysterics.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The pre match carvery was usually the best part of the day but there were some fantastic matches at withers I remember.

On the odd occasion the crowd got involved the whole stand shook with the feet stamp song.

My one overriding memory was being pulled out of my seat by 2 coppers and a steward , led down to pitch side and told I was on the verge of being ejected for making homophobic gestures at Millwall fans half a bloody mile away ! .

I had absolutely no idea why as I'd done no such thing , but the copper told me a Millwall fan had spotted me making sexually suggestive gestures! and he felt scared and vulnerable :eek: .

I had my 9 year old son with me so they let me back to my seat , I wish they'd have lobbed me out as it pissed down all day and I'm sure we lost the game as well !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here