Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Fairytale of New York - PC gone mad or correct decision?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

Just before we piss ourselves with excitement for Saturday after a crap international break, I was trawling through the news and saw this article.

Radio 1 are not going to play the original version of the Christmas classic and great song, Fairytale of New York. This is because the lyrics may offend some of its younger viewers. As someone who is young (late twenties), I don't know a single person in my age group, or even younger, who is even in the slightest bothered.

In fact, we just find this constant changing and banning of lyrics, tv programmes, films etc bloody irritating. A quick warning before playing or screening of controversial songs or programmes, should be the way, not erasing classics.

However, I do respect peoples views and if this offends them then fine, but is this yet more PC pandering or is it about time we made some changes to these dated Christmas Songs?

Interested to hear your views. Please don't send this to the bear pit either.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm in my 40s and I've always hated that song. It is homophobic and I hate that it is completely excused because its Christmas.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One has to ask how are these 'offended' people going to cope with the Real World where other people use these sort of Bad Words?

Therapy clearly beckons... :mad:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If you're over 12, why are you listening to Radio 1 anyway?

Saying that, I doubt there are even kids listening to the Radio these days.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
One has to ask how are these 'offended' people going to cope with the Real World where other people use these sort of Bad Words?

Bad words that are racist or homophobic aren't acceptable in society. There isnt a distinction between good homophobia or bad homphobia, there is just a distinction between what people are willing to accept.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Maybe they can make a world where people don't say them. Rightly or wrongly the youth are much more aware of the words they use and how they can affect others.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
fee_786_587_png.png:thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its funny, if the phase had used "****wit" or anything else instead it would just be dubbed out and no one care. doing everyone a favour though, its a miserable track for Christmas.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can't bear the song and the use of that particular f-word gives me a more rational reason to turn it off/leave the room shouting than the one I'd otherwise have.

Until fairly recently it was completely normal to encounter all kinds of derogatory words for gay people in mainstream culture, and I suppose the gay community were expected to just put up with it. Or laugh along.

The fact that this situation has now largely changed should be something we all celebrate – gay, straight, bi, or undecided.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Pathetic isn't it?

Not a song I like by the way, but that is because I don't like the Band and their style of music, not because of any naughty words they might have used.

Still, feel free to be offended by a 33 year old record...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can't bear the song and the use of that particular f-word gives me a more rational reason to turn it off/leave the room shouting than the one I'd otherwise have.

Until fairly recently it was completely normal to encounter all kinds of derogatory words for gay people in mainstream culture, and I suppose the gay community were expected to just put up with it. Or laugh along.

The fact that this situation has now largely changed should be something we all celebrate – gay, straight, bi, or undecided.

Don’t forget trans!!!!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Assume the words changed are s**t and f****t?

It's obviously causing much offence amongst millenials and the LGBTQIP+ community so maybe we should respect their wishes as they attempt to build a more fair and inclusive society than the one many of us have grown up in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here