Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Drones - are they a nuisance?

Drones - legit or a blight?

• Legit creative outlet

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • A dangerous blight

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can honestly say that on my bi-weekly walks across the Downs and other local areas of beauty, I have never even seen a drone, let alone have one bother me. If someone were to pester me with one, they’d get a bop on the schnoz.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
They produced some terrific, previously unseen views of Augusta last week so I'm in, unless of course I catch one over my garden whilst I'm sunbathing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They are if you want to fly out of Gatwick

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
One of our near neighbours has twin teenage boys who are very geeky. Amongst their hobbies is building drones from scratch.

Another of our near neighbours is a blonde Norwegian woman who is, according to the boys’ Dad, ‘very Scandinavian - in every respect’.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't think you can answer with the descriptions you have. In sport they can make for tremendous footage, in disasters they can give data without risking life, in war they can be used as a force of good, and bad, and there are many very strong commercial reasons for having them. Many people say if they encountered one they smack the user if it was invasive on them, but you can't because the owner could be miles away. We had one over our garden last Summer when we were sat in the hot tub! Imagine my surprise when a "friend" said she's asked her Son to send it over as she wanted to know if we were in ....... suffice to say we've reached agreement between us now on the use of drones!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can honestly say that on my bi-weekly walks across the Downs and other local areas of beauty, I have never even seen a drone, let alone have one bother me. If someone were to pester me with one, they’d get a bop on the schnoz.

I’ve seen a few on the Downs when out running - last one a couple of weeks ago on the top of the ridge above Rodmell. Views are fantastic from there without one !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

That's the problem with them now though, the drone "pilot?" could be miles away and the drone too high for you to capture, commercially they're great but I worry about the way they could be used by people with less than "honest" pursuit.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One of our near neighbours has twin teenage boys who are very geeky. Amongst their hobbies is building drones from scratch.

Another of our near neighbours is a blonde Norwegian woman who is, according to the boys’ Dad, ‘very Scandinavian - in every respect’.

What could possibly go wrong?

:needpics:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's the problem with them now though, the drone "pilot?" could be miles away and the drone too high for you to capture, commercially they're great but I worry about the way they could be used by people with less than "honest" pursuit.

True. I imagine you’d have to be a bit of a friendless nerd to own one, so if Chicken Run wants to film me on my walks, he can crack on :)

Joking aside, I can imagine they’d be a nuisance to some. And they did **** up Gatwick a couple of years back.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
On a quite country walk, wifey and I encountered one of these noisy things flying around us.
Picking up a rock and throwing it at it had the effect of the thing flying off to bother others, f'ng noise pests.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
On a quite country walk, wifey and I encountered one of these noisy things flying around us.
Picking up a rock and throwing it at it had the effect of the thing flying off to bother others, f'ng noise pests.
Quite. a couple of years ago one of the teenage neighbours thought it would be fun to fly one low over our garden. It's amazing what a deterrent a catapult with a bag of mint imperials can be, especially when the first shot somewhat luckily scored a hit. No damage to the drone but I think it gave him food for thought. Never seen it this way since

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Are cars, lorries, helicopters more noisy and frequent a blight?

Anyways, how long can a drone "buzz" you before batteries go low and has to return to owner?

Like all of these things, it requires the driver / pilot to use sensibly - with human control, this becomes the issue, not the vehicle.

Can't say one has ever bothered me, but if it did, I wouldn't risk an assault charge as [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] seems happy to do ....

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Difficult to cast a vote as it must depend on its usage. As a case in point, on Sunday evening there was a TV programme about the Notre Dame fire where the Firefighters used a drone to gain information as to the real extent of the fire thus helping in their plan of attack on the fire and preserving the safety of personnel.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
True. I imagine you’d have to be a bit of a friendless nerd to own one, so if Chicken Run wants to film me on my walks, he can crack on :)

Joking aside, I can imagine they’d be a nuisance to some. And they did **** up Gatwick a couple of years back.

The only droning that’s a nuisance is you droning on Nibble you prick!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The business recently next door to mine built drones for the government and trained military operatives in their use. They showed me a working prototype of a new development they were working on designed to take survival equipment out to sea when people were stranded in the ocean. Blimey it was a big bugger, not the little blighters you see people playing around with.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not a nuisance yet, but a fair potential for nuisance. give some light regulation to limit silliness, allow them to be used for postive purposes rather than allow unfettered use and calls to harsher rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here