Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 2030 and Electric cars.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sure go for greener forms of travel,but surely would it not be better to wait for a developed self charging car rather than dig up the roads,pavements etc for charging points and the cost/chaos that will will cause in urban areas and remember if you live in a rural area and across the world that effects millions you simply can't have charging points every 200 yards.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sure go for greener forms of travel,but surely would it not be better to wait for a developed self charging car rather than dig up the roads,pavements etc for charging points and the cost/chaos that will will cause in urban areas and remember if you live in a rural area and across the world that effects millions you simply can't have charging points every 200 yards.

Who's said there will be charging points every 200 yards?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Was looking to go hybrid for my next car. Currently have a Tuscon so looking for something similar

Just acquired Mercedes CLA250e and very pleased. It is rather like driving a laptop but, once you get used to it, a very good car. I use electric solely for local journeys (max 30-35 mile battery range) and eco or comfort modes for longer. Shocked by the complexity of a) finding public charging points that work (my nearest is in Dorchester, 17 miles way, the Bridport one has been out of action for months);

b) the hassle of getting a wall charger at home. BP Chargemaster can't install if it means the engineer has to go higher than the first step on a step ladder. It is a joke, so my OLEV grant will be wasted on paying an electrician to get a cable to the point where the engineer with vertigo can get to it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Away matches at Newcastle are going to take longer having to charge 2-3 times each way and imaging getting to the service station to find all the charging points are busy or not working

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Away matches at Newcastle are going to take longer having to charge 2-3 times each way and imaging getting to the service station to find all the charging points are busy or not working

I have an electric car and live 300 miles from the Amex. I’m planning on charging once each way for 30 mins or so, which is about how long we take at the services anyway.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Electric cars are well and good but until they can find a way to safely dispose of the battery it seems somewhat counterproductive. Whilst an important step in the right direction, the infrastructure needs to be in place as well as advances in technology so long trips aren’t extended by potentially a few hours due to the need to charge the battery.

May 5, 2020
Sussex

Yes,this is my concern too.
The charging times are getting better so maybe the government is banking on the fact that in ten years time the charging times will be excellent.
I'm also guessing this means we are going nuclear in our power station network too.
Otherwise I'm with you,it's a massive gamble to dig up everything and put charging points all over the place, especially if another tech or way of charging comes along in 10 years time

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Surely under the green revolution, there will be a charging point at each parking space in the service area.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
An electrician friend of mine has raised doubts about the target- simply because the National Grid would struggle with the output needed for the additional demand of millions of electric cars.

Good point that.

Although the idea is a sound one.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Surely under the green revolution, there will be a charging point at each parking space in the service area.

What are the chances they will all work though.

Whats the betting Apple get involved and bring out a new car every two years as the battery will be rigged to slowly fail resulting in a recharge needed every 5 miles

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just got a Tesla. A couple of weeks back charged at home overnight, drove to Birmingham, had meeting, plugged into a supercharger, had a coffee, back to car added 60% to the battery in about 25 mins drove home. Cost of the recharge? £12.80 still had about 30% battery when I returned to Brighton. I've had diesel or petrol cars Mercs/BMW my whole life this thing knocks spots off those in almost every way. Cheaper to run, faster, the acceleration takes some getting used to, scary quick , more fun to drive, less tax what's not too like? I got it purely to save the tax but I'm a total convert...,

You just need to treat it like your phone, charge it overnight and even if you travel regularly like I do it saves a fortune and is much much easier. Early days but cannot fault the thing so far...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Impressive, only Norway is being more ambitious. Sounds good to me, bring on the revolution

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Living inside South Circular i'm caught by expanding ULEZ and current Mk6 Transit doesn't quailfy even tho it runs on LPG, so have had to upgrade to new Van.

Have done loads research, and would have been very interested in electric van, but as of today there are only TWO i can buy today (large size) - They are both converts of diesel engines units, so not a 'new' model as such - Renault Master (£43k+vat) and Maxus (me neither..) at £53k+vat. :mad:

The other big players, Mercedes, all 700 first shipment sold already to Amazon, Ford not ready till 2022, and VW not quite made over here it yet either, so had to buy a Euro 6 diesel transit as an interim..

And dont buy a hybrid as that wont qualify for ULEZ either..

Maybe i'll miss the early adopter issues and have saved enough money for when FORD/VW come to market.. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder if in 50 or 60 years time a new generation of young woke people (or whatever they call themselves by then) will be cursing the stupid old buffers of the 2020s who instigated this compulsory drive to electric vehicles. Maybe they'll have discovered that electric cars, like nuclear power stations, are easy enough to build, deliver what they were designed to do economically and efficiently - but then prove to be difficult, expensive, frequently hazardous and generally a bit of a bugger to decommission and generally dispose of safely .................

........ or maybe they'll be lucky, and the 2020s green supporters will have got it right. Oh well, in 50 or 60 years it won't be my problem! Do genuinely fear for my grandchildren at times though.

........ or maybe electric cars (and all the charging points) will be the new Betamax.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Don't worry. Nobody will be digging up anything in Leek any time soon.

And the perpetual motion machine is just around he corner. Probably with a lizard in the cockpit. Swanny said :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here