Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wrexham

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
With all the excitement of Wrexham being taken over with the blessing of their fan groups, I remembered that many years ago lots of Albion fans purchased bits of the Racecourse Ground in order to stop it being sold to developers, similar to the way we had the Goldstone ripped from under us. I think this solidarity with the Wrexham fans may have had its roots in Fans United. I was just wondering if anyone on NSC helped Wrexham out in this way, and if so, do you still own your bit of the ground, be it a seat in the stand or perhaps a square foot of the pitch?

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It is a bit of a sheeping giant. Pretty sizeable catchment area (700,000 North Wales pop) but obviously near North West England clubs. Core fan base of about 4-5k these days but potential for much much more when doing well. I'm sure there were about 20k for the big April 1977 promotion match. Steeped in tradition - 3rd oldest club in the world I'm sure I heard. Netflix next.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I'm not so familiar with Ryan Reynolds' work, but Rob McElhenney's It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is brilliant.

Good luck to the Dragons.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I did my bit to help Wrexham out.

My mate is a Wrexham fan and I went to stay at his house nr Liverpool before we both went to a game on the Saturday as a show of solidarity. We got smashed on the Friday night and couldn't move Saturday morning. We eventually decamped to the pub and spent an afternoon gambling on Haydock races as we slowly got drunk again without leaving England let alone getting anywhere near Wrexham. I think they lost 0-2.

They couldn't have done it without my help.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I still have a copy of the calendar they did which featured the photo I took of the NSC Wrexham supporting banner at the Millennium Stadium play off final on the front cover

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I still have a copy of the calendar they did which featured the photo I took of the NSC Wrexham supporting banner at the Millennium Stadium play off final on the front cover

In fact here it is (the photo not the calendar)

wrexham.jpg

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Before lockdown it was our place to go to watch a decent standard of footy when we couldn't get to Brighton , it's a tidy stadium and the matchday atmosphere is cracking tbh , very passionate fans and if all goes to plan I'm sure they will be a excellent addition to league football once again , fully expect the new owners to pump some cash into the Chester coffers so they too can return to the league this ensuring the ridiculously fierce rivalry between the two clubs is rekindled .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It is a bit of a sheeping giant. Pretty sizeable catchment area (700,000 North Wales pop) but obviously near North West England clubs. Core fan base of about 4-5k these days but potential for much much more when doing well. I'm sure there were about 20k for the big April 1977 promotion match. Steeped in tradition - 3rd oldest club in the world I'm sure I heard. Netflix next.

It's very limited because most of the region is pretty rural. Stoke is only 40 miles east and Liverpool 40 miles north.

To the west and any spectators will will be baa-ing rather than booing poor performance.

They have had a few seasons in the second tier (a few well known Welsh names were there in the 70s) but they are mainly a lower league side.

Still, it was always a good away day. I like that area. Beautiful countryside.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The first time I saw the Albion lose was against Wrexham in 1976. The sense of invincibility shattered.

The only home match we lost that season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Before lockdown it was our place to go to watch a decent standard of footy when we couldn't get to Brighton , it's a tidy stadium and the matchday atmosphere is cracking tbh , very passionate fans and if all goes to plan I'm sure they will be a excellent addition to league football once again, fully expect the new owners to pump some cash into the Chester coffers so they too can return to the league this ensuring the ridiculously fierce rivalry between the two clubs is rekindled .

Pretty sure thats against the rules - you can't have an investment in more than 1 club, as you could end up with a conflict of interests.

Exciting times for Wrexham fans though, good luck to them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I bought a half and half ‘save the Racecourse, scarf and a ‘save the Racecourse’ T Shirt at the Fans United game at their place. We took a couple of old NSCers with us, Chappers and Artois IIRC.

Hopefully this takeover won’t be a false dawn, good luck to them.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Loved the away game at their place when they pitch invaded in protest and hundreds made their way over to our fans behind the goal clapping our efforts at joining in their protest whilst chanting together against their board. Great feeling of solidarity that day and I remember chatting to so many of their fans after the game and how appreciative and surprised they were by our efforts against their owners

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It's very limited because most of the region is pretty rural. Stoke is only 40 miles east and Liverpool 40 miles north.

To the west and any spectators will will be baa-ing rather than booing poor performance.

They have had a few seasons in the second tier (a few well known Welsh names were there in the 70s) but they are mainly a lower league side.

Still, it was always a good away day. I like that area. Beautiful countryside.

I haven't been up there for years but get the feeling that Welsh culture is stronger these days. That and a 700,000 populace within a couple of hours is may be something they can tap in to. The facts , as you say, they are a lower league side. It you weren't around in the mid to late 70's it's probably a case of Wrexham who.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Loved the away game at their place when they pitch invaded in protest and hundreds made their way over to our fans behind the goal clapping our efforts at joining in their protest whilst chanting together against their board. Great feeling of solidarity that day and I remember chatting to so many of their fans after the game and how appreciative and surprised they were by our efforts against their owners

I’ve still got a Gutteman Out red card, which we held up, chanting Sack the Board.
A couple of Wrexham fans joined us for our seafront marches.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here