Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Abinger Road Area, Portslade

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My son has seen a place in this neighbourhood, just the other side of Trafalgar Road, anyone have any experience of this side of Portslade, local facilities etc?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I moved away from Stanley Road in 1966 so not up to date, although there is a good pub on the corner.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My son has seen a place in this neighbourhood, just the other side of Trafalgar Road, anyone have any experience of this side of Portslade, local facilities etc?

Literally the best road in the world to live on and only the best looking and cleverest NSCers live there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hard to find a parking spot, but cute two bed terraced homes. Within easy reach of Station Road/Boundary Road.

Careful with parking. It's potentially about to get harder.

B&H City Council had proposed a "light touch" parking scheme for all of South Portslade. The creation of parking bays would have taken half the spaces from Albion St and many from Abinger and that area. Therefore those roads said no when consulted. My latest understanding is that a scheme will still be put in place for the big roads - St Albans, Norway St, St Andrews, possibly a couple of others, but not the other side of Trafalgar Rd. What that will mean is that trade parking and any second cars or vans will start parking in those streets instead of the ones under parking control.

Not done and dusted though IIRC.

Mate of mine lived in Abinger when his kids were small and really liked it. The Co-Op gets a few unsavoury characters but it's not too far from Boundary Rd shops and the choice of a few very different types of pub on there, as well as the afore mentioned Stanley. Schools are good if he has kids and lots of them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Careful with parking. It's potentially about to get harder.

B&H City Council had proposed a "light touch" parking scheme for all of South Portslade. The creation of parking bays would have taken half the spaces from Albion St and many from Abinger and that area. Therefore those roads said no when consulted. My latest understanding is that a scheme will still be put in place for the big roads - St Albans, Norway St, St Andrews, possibly a couple of others, but not the other side of Trafalgar Rd. What that will mean is that trade parking and any second cars or vans will start parking in those streets instead of the ones under parking control.

Not done and dusted though IIRC.

Mate of mine lived in Abinger when his kids were small and really liked it. The Co-Op gets a few unsavoury characters but it's not too far from Boundary Rd shops and the choice of a few very different types of pub on there, as well as the afore mentioned Stanley. Schools are good if he has kids and lots of them.

Was there a bloody knife fight or worse at that CoOp a couple of years ago?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• 2500ae3e505600ccf9dda03200765319.png
    2500ae3e505600ccf9dda03200765319.png
    716.6 KB · Views: 67

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Stanley is obviously great but so is the Battle
5 minutes walk from Fishersgate and 10 mins walk from Portslade Stations.
Millions of local buses: 1/1A from Trafalgar St & 2/2A from OSR
I cycle to work in Brighton in a leisurely 20 odd minutes
2 separate allotment sites close enough to fling manure to
You can walk up the path behind Melrose and be on the downs within 10 minutes. Equally you can mosey south west and be on Carat's beach in 25 mins.
There's a genuine community feel; loads of people who have lived here for years
Schools are fantastic
Co-op is very useful, if you can get in without getting stabbed.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Got a mate that lives around there. Area is nice enough but like others have said parking can be a nightmare. Also I understand quite a few of the houses have bungaroosh in the walls (what a lovely word that is) so if your son is planning building works on it that might cause problems. Really easy to get a bus or train into town from there and Boundary Road has a decent selection of shops for everyday needs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here