Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Drone advice

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I'm looking at getting a drone for photography reasons as I have some big events planned next year (assuming they go ahead!)

Want something fairly decent with a quality stable camera, preferably on a gimble, and bells and whistle appreciated (auto programme shots etc)

Interested in the DJI Mavic Mini, but any suggestions?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm looking at getting a drone for photography reasons as I have some big events planned next year (assuming they go ahead!)

Want something fairly decent with a quality stable camera, preferably on a gimble, and bells and whistle appreciated (auto programme shots etc)

Interested in the DJI Mavic Mini, but any suggestions?

I own a DJI Mavic Air... lovely piece of kit. Not sure of it's got a good enough camera for you though. It has all the set flight programmes though.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I have a very tiny knowledge of Drones.
If I wanted to buy a drone to play with and take photos how restrictive is the use of them in public spaces?
I haven't seen many around recently.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a very tiny knowledge of Drones.
If I wanted to buy a drone to play with and take photos how restrictive is the use of them in public spaces?
I haven't seen many around recently.

Any drone over 250g must now be registered with the CAA, and you need to take a test and pay annually for an Operator ID to be able to fly your drone legally.

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't worry - Timmy left ages ago so the noise has .... oh, sorry. Wrong drone.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is why I'm interested in the mini as it is 249g for this very reason

Don't limit yourself just on that basis. The test isn't that hard, and you only do it once. After that you register your Drone and yourself as an Operator. you renew it yearly at a cost of £9. Simples.

There are some very stable drones which either have better optics or allow you to fix your own camera, but they are bigger (and costlier). Having said that DJI are making some beautiful drones recently, and the mini does continue that. The issue with the smaller drones is battery life - if you want longer flying time between battery changes, the larger drones will give you that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My lad has a DJI Mavic, not sure which one, but its great, small compact, easy to fly, goos film and photos.

low res . . .but you ge tthe idea. 80841605_443039946599114_935010239990726656_n.jpg

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Casey knows his drones, and he loved the Mini...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9NH0Jqh7Is

My lad watches his videos and reviews, he had a few tiddlers, flying around, helicoopters, then a clunky thing with a camera, then got the DJI, I think its the air, a very clever bit of kit, and given its dimunitive size rearkably composed even when its windy

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
On lock down V1, I did a deal with a customer on a brand new in the box DJI Flame Wheel, complete with FLYSKY FS-i6, NAZA-M Lite, batteries, charger etc. I saw it as a decent way to spend time bonding with son while building it, and it was all good until fly time.. We just cannot get the thing to power motors and in air.. :down:

Like to think i'm pretty technical as can diagnose/repair boilers, but it's got the point where i'd happily pay someone to spend an hour rolling their eyes at me to show me how/what i'm doing wrong and set me straight.
I'm based in South London but come down to Rotters and Lancing fairly regularly to see folks - Most drone shops seem to be online only, but can anyone recommend a shop or be up for being paid to help me out sometime.. ? I'm looking like a failure to a son, and the Mrs sees it every day and keeps threatening to throw it all out.. :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here