Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Give the class of Brighton University 2020 a REAL graduation ceremony

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My daughter is being denied (along with all the other graduates) there graduation ceremony ,
please sign the petition to give them what they deserve. And also the chance for me to publicly cry for being so proud of her, Please

https://www.change.org/p/university...7fPiE7qRhCaKkLzZhuTIwpRs8-JB7zjJPZ5rhbefprLlc

I know grad ceremonies are hectic enough to organise for 1 years' set of graduates. Maybe the University simply can't do 2 years of graduates in one, which
is what you are asking them to do. Right? I see both sides.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Both my sons graduated this year - in Sheffield and Bristol. Both were looking forward to their graduation ceremonies, as were we, their proud parents.

Everything is so ****ed up.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They been told it will be a virtual ceremony on Zoom i believe.

I rocked on up at London University a year late, albeit with none of my class mates.

I was behind a bloke who picked up a PHD in orgasms. Not sure that helps.

Can't see why they can't run them staggered at another time. Those companies who rent out the over priced frocks will be quids in.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I rocked on up at London University a year late, albeit with none of my class mates.

I was behind a bloke who picked up a PHD in orgasms. Not sure that helps.

Can't see why they can't run them staggered at another time. Those companies who rent out the over priced frocks will be quids in.

It also probably costs a University quite a bit to hire fancy large halls/catering etc and often such halls are in demand around that time from other Universities.
So logistics and finance. Just a thought. Might be wrong. But does seem unfair, but that's the time we're living in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s all **** isn’t it...............but have to say the graduation ceremony for Brighton wasn’t all that anyway when we went a couple of years ago for Junior’s thing (incredibly, the same day as the Valencia friendly.....and his Uni housemate was from Valencia- so after the ceremony and a meal we all went to the game together which made the day memorable, not the endless procession of students on stage for 10 seconds each). The venue doesn’t help - Brighton Centre just doesn’t feel quite right either.

Hire the gown, get some professional photos done and have whatever family/friends celebration you can at the time I reckon. Suspect we’ll be in the same boat again in the summer.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Having attended several of these ceremonies (working, not getting degrees) and seen both front of house and back of house, there's no way to do it and be covid safe right now. But would be great of they could delay until it can be done properly.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Our youngest graduated with First Class Honours from the Brighton Business School this summer, after a 4 year degree. Included in their tuition costs is a graduation ceremony. The Zoom offer is a pathetic alternative offered by them to try and get themselves off the hook and save the money. They should defer until September 21 and do it properly, albeit in smaller safer groups.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s all **** isn’t it...............but have to say the graduation ceremony for Brighton wasn’t all that anyway when we went a couple of years ago for Junior’s thing (incredibly, the same day as the Valencia friendly.....and his Uni housemate was from Valencia- so after the ceremony and a meal we all went to the game together which made the day memorable, not the endless procession of students on stage for 10 seconds each). The venue doesn’t help - Brighton Centre just doesn’t feel quite right either.

Hire the gown, get some professional photos done and have whatever family/friends celebration you can at the time I reckon. Suspect we’ll be in the same boat again in the summer.

Interesting that yours went to a local to home uni. When I went in the 80’s, everyone went to other parts of the UK. Part of it was the adventure of being well away from parents.

Is it quite common now for undergrad’s to choose a local uni, do you know?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My daughter is being denied (along with all the other graduates) there graduation ceremony ,
please sign the petition to give them what they deserve. And also the chance for me to publicly cry for being so proud of her, Please

https://www.change.org/p/university...7fPiE7qRhCaKkLzZhuTIwpRs8-JB7zjJPZ5rhbefprLlc

Whilst your daughter has my sympathy and you should quite rightly be proud of her, is it really worth the risk of a potential 'super spreader' event? Everyone is affected by this pandemic so not quite sure why some think they should be the exception. We have the vaccine on the horizon and if the graduation ceremony is so important then do it when it can be done safely.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It also probably costs a University quite a bit to hire fancy large halls/catering etc and often such halls are in demand around that time from other Universities.
So logistics and finance. Just a thought. Might be wrong. But does seem unfair, but that's the time we're living in.

Yeah, but you can ditch the fancy large halls and catering. It's all about:

1) Putting on a stupid hat.
2) Someone institutionalised handing you a cheap scroll.
3) Your parents getting to see you with a stupid hat and being handed a scroll not knowing you haven't done any work for three years when actually you spent it getting hammered.
4) Meeting up with your "mates" again and realising the incredible human capacity to get on with people because you have to but a few months back home opens your eyes to the fact you'd never get on with them in a million years with their funny regional ways and hopefully you won't see them again.
5) Getting hammered again.

Just let them come back later when the virus has gone.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, but you can ditch the fancy large halls and catering. It's all about:

1) Putting on a stupid hat.
2) Someone institutionalised handing you a cheap scroll.
3) Your parents getting to see you with a stupid hat and being handed a scroll not knowing you haven't done any work for three years when actually you spent it getting hammered.
4) Meeting up with your "mates" again and realising the incredible human capacity to get on with people because you have to but a few months back home opens your eyes to the fact you'd never get on with them in a million years with their funny regional ways and hopefully you won't see them again.
5) Getting hammered again.

Just let them come back later when the virus has gone.

Fair point clapham.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Signed. As the proposer says, just delay it to the summer. What a lesson in how to p!ss off students further.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting that yours went to a local to home uni. When I went in the 80’s, everyone went to other parts of the UK. Part of it was the adventure of being well away from parents.

Combination of factors in his case.....looked at several but didn’t get offers from all (or was unlikely to get the grades required for a couple). He still stayed away as was at the Eastbourne campus so ended up with the best of both worlds I guess - typical Uni life, but could come home if it suited and could carry on watching the Albion. He’s doing a Masters (sports performance analysis) now at Chichester which has also worked out very well as his placement is local. There are only 7 or so Unis in the uk offering the course.

Daughter went to Edinburgh (always her first choice), loves Scotland and has stayed up there - she’s also doing a Masters part time, back at Edinburgh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Combination of factors in his case.....looked at several but didn’t get offers from all (or was unlikely to get the grades required for a couple). He still stayed away as was at the Eastbourne campus so ended up with the best of both worlds I guess - typical Uni life, but could come home if it suited and could carry on watching the Albion. He’s doing a Masters (sports performance analysis) now at Chichester which has also worked out very well as his placement is local. There are only 7 or so Unis in the uk offering the course.

Daughter went to Edinburgh (always her first choice), loves Scotland and has stayed up there - she’s also doing a Masters part time, back at Edinburgh.

Thanks for the reply. Edinburgh’s a lovely city, I spent a lot of time in Scotland in my 20’s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Far enough away so the parents don’t unexpectedly visit but not too far away so they still come and collect you at Xmas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here