Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray lost us the 2013 play-offs

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The free teaser of an Athletic piece on Wilfried Zaha...

Wilfried Zaha is talking about how he plays football, how his game has changed over the years and how different he is from the 17-year-old who made his Crystal Palace debut 10 years ago.

“I used to dribble in my own half so much. By the time I got to the goal, I was too tired to cross it or shoot. So now I try to save my energy for the key moments. I have worked on my technique to allow me to execute certain passes, through-balls and shots that I want to take on.”

The Athletic spent an afternoon last week watching back some of Zaha’s best moments with him over a Zoom call. He reflects on them with a sense of nostalgia and a keen insight into the how and why. From observing and replicating Glenn Murray’s movement to score in the second leg of the 2013 play-off semi-final against Brighton & Hove Albion to learning how to draw a challenge like the one from Marco Cassetti in the final against Watford. He points to blackened toenails and dead legs amid the frustration of diving accusations, and recalls learning to dribble with a tennis ball in his childhood, being pigeonholed at Manchester United but learning to believe in himself, the “honour” of captaining Palace, and adapting his game to become "more efficient”.

He has already conceded the obvious. “I can’t hold my emotions,” he says, watching back that debut against Cardiff City with a beaming smile.

“It was literally a dream come true,” he tells The Athletic. “I’ve been working all my life for this exact moment and it’s actually happening. That’s what I was telling myself; ‘it’s actually happening right now’. I’d had so many setbacks and I had kept at it just for that moment. I was so happy to get the opportunity. The smile just came out by itself.”

“Wow, that was a long time ago,” he says. A decade later, a lot has changed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought Rio Ferdinand was fairly interesting in how he talked about Zaha time at Man Utd on Jake Humphrey podcast fairly recently

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The free teaser of an Athletic piece on Wilfried Zaha...

Wilfried Zaha is talking about how he plays football, how his game has changed over the years and how different he is from the 17-year-old who made his Crystal Palace debut 10 years ago.

“I used to dribble in my own half so much. By the time I got to the goal, I was too tired to cross it or shoot. So now I try to save my energy for the key moments. I have worked on my technique to allow me to execute certain passes, through-balls and shots that I want to take on.”

The Athletic spent an afternoon last week watching back some of Zaha’s best moments with him over a Zoom call. He reflects on them with a sense of nostalgia and a keen insight into the how and why. From observing and replicating Glenn Murray’s movement to score in the second leg of the 2013 play-off semi-final against Brighton & Hove Albion to learning how to draw a challenge like the one from Marco Cassetti in the final against Watford. He points to blackened toenails and dead legs amid the frustration of diving accusations, and recalls learning to dribble with a tennis ball in his childhood, being pigeonholed at Manchester United but learning to believe in himself, the “honour” of captaining Palace, and adapting his game to become "more efficient”.

He has already conceded the obvious. “I can’t hold my emotions,” he says, watching back that debut against Cardiff City with a beaming smile.

“It was literally a dream come true,” he tells The Athletic. “I’ve been working all my life for this exact moment and it’s actually happening. That’s what I was telling myself; ‘it’s actually happening right now’. I’d had so many setbacks and I had kept at it just for that moment. I was so happy to get the opportunity. The smile just came out by itself.”

“Wow, that was a long time ago,” he says. A decade later, a lot has changed.

I read that. I also wondered what happened to the Nazi propaganda writers after the war, now I know. Doesn't dive?!!!! :ffsparr: Black toenails apparently proves his honesty. (It just proves Palace's Chiropodist is crap). I did learn that Watford fans hate him which is nice. The pictures of his goal did make me feel nauseous and why were we mentioned SO many times in the article obsessed? Much?

Glenn what were you thinking mate?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who cares if he did or didn't?

Old news – onwards and upwards.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'll be honest, I don't actually dislike Zaha. He has his faults as a footballer (and pros) but he seems a decent person off the pitch with his work in and around the community. If he didn't place for Palace and score against us EVERY time we play them, he'd just be another player. I dislike Grealish much more

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like Zaha, he “gets” the rivalry, the wanker

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I saw Zaha bantering with Sterling on some twitter thing the other day.

I did actually wonder if he maybe the first gay player to come out.

Certainly seems quite feminine

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We lost that tie at their place anyway, we were the better team by a distance but didn’t capitalise (sound familiar?), I’ve still not forgiven Hammond for hitting their keeper with a header when it was easier to score.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here